Massachusetts ISDN conversion

Post by Dan Lancia » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 05:32:01

I recently tried to order an ISDN line conversion from Verizon's 800-GET-ISDN
facility.  After a few weeks of no-call-backs and people not being able to find
my account I was told that conversions are not available in Massachusetts and
never have been.  When I mentioned that I had converted another line (on the
same pole, no less) 2 years ago they changed this story to conversions no longer
being available.  Has anyone heard of this change or are they just confused?
I told them to go ahead and order a new line, but historically this has always
been more difficult than a conversion because the folks at the ISDN facility
can't seem to deal with "business office" type issues like selecting the rate
plan and IXC...

                                Dan Lanciani

Massachusetts ISDN conversion

Post by RC » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:45:21

I've been involved with conversion on residential lines, but never business
lines. It' been my experience that with any business service, and any
carrier, that they always want to use a different physical circuit.
Regardless, if it doesn't cost you any more, let them do whatever they want,
it's a lot faster that way.

Post by Dan Lancia » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:21:29

| I've been involved with conversion on residential lines, but never business
| lines.

My line is residential.  Have you done any conversions lately in MA Verizon
territory?  They responded today with an ok on the location (which makes sense
given that I have the other line on the same pole) but I'd still prefer a
conversion to a new install if possible.

| It' been my experience that with any business service, and any
| carrier, that they always want to use a different physical circuit.
| Regardless, if it doesn't cost you any more, let them do whatever they want,
| it's a lot faster that way.

Maybe not in this case.  There are two issues.  First, the ISDN ordering
people seem to have problems handling the underlying service ordering
details that are normally handled by the residential reps in the business
office.  This includes things like IXC selection and local calling plan.
On the other hand, once the line is ISDN, the business office no longer
thinks it can fix such things. :(  With a conversion you can get all the
basics in place first and then switch.  The second problem is that the second
pair from the pole into the house may not be viable (if in fact it exists--
we are talking about a 1950's vintage installation).  So unless I cancel
the analog line first, I may have to install a new buried drop...

                                Dan Lanciani

| > I recently tried to order an ISDN line conversion from Verizon's
| 800-GET-ISDN
| > facility.  After a few weeks of no-call-backs and people not being able to
| find
| > my account I was told that conversions are not available in Massachusetts
| and
| > never have been.  When I mentioned that I had converted another line (on
| the
| > same pole, no less) 2 years ago they changed this story to conversions no
| longer
| > being available.  Has anyone heard of this change or are they just
| confused?
| > I told them to go ahead and order a new line, but historically this has
| always
| > been more difficult than a conversion because the folks at the ISDN
| facility
| > can't seem to deal with "business office" type issues like selecting the
| rate
| > plan and IXC...

1. Massachusetts ISDN conversion

I recently tried to order an ISDN line conversion from Verizon's 800-GET-ISDN
facility.  After a few weeks of no-call-backs and people not being able to find
my account I was told that conversions are not available in Massachusetts and
never have been.  When I mentioned that I had converted another line (on the
same pole, no less) 2 years ago they changed this story to conversions no longer
being available.  Has anyone heard of this change or are they just confused?
I told them to go ahead and order a new line, but historically this has always
been more difficult than a conversion because the folks at the ISDN facility
can't seem to deal with "business office" type issues like selecting the rate
plan and IXC...

                                Dan Lanciani

2. benchmark info PII vs. Xeon

3. Telco digital conversion vs. modem conversions

4. P8 Crashing into the monitor

5. Massachusetts DPU Approves ISDN

6. "De Re Atari" - where to get?

7. ISDN in Massachusetts

8. WARNING - Bug in JOVE 4.14 (MSDOS)

9. Massachusetts DPU Ponders ISDN Request

10. Higher base rates for Bell Atlantic/Massachusetts ISDN?

11. ISDN conversion to IP packets