using BTConnect with ISDN (Netopia router)

using BTConnect with ISDN (Netopia router)

Post by Ben Rubinstei » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:26:58

[Apologies if this post is in an inappropriate group - after a fair amount
of google-group-searching, these three seemed most plausible, and to have
had related posts in the past.  If there's somewhere else that would have
been a better place to post it - please let me know...]

I'm struggling to set up a Netopia R3100-S ISDN router to use a BTconnect
dial-up account, and looking for help.

* I can connect to the BTconnect account OK - same access number, username
and password - using ordinary modem.

* I can connect to a Demon dial-up account OK on the ISDN router, using
configuration identical except for the access number, username, and
password.

* BT support confirm that the access number should work with ISDN.

When I attempt to connect, the router's log shows the following:

    PPP: PAP  authentication failed, Channel 1
    Reason: Remote refused our authentication attempt

I also trying changing the authentification method from PAP to CHAP: this
produced an excitingly different result, in that it appeared to authenticate
but instantly disconnect.  From the log:

    PPP: NCP up, session 1, Channel 1
    Final (fallback) negotiated auth: Local NONE, Remote CHAP

    PPP: CHAP remote accepted us, Channel 1
    Remote name: <six letters>

    PPP: MP negotiated, session 1
    Remote EDO: 06 01 <12 hex digits> 0

    Requested Disc. from DN: <btconnect number>

    Received Clear Confirm for our DN: (not supplied)

The switch from PAP to CHAP was suggested by the BT support person we spoke
to - however they had nothing to suggest about the instant disconnection,
nor indeed about the signifigance of CHAP apparently authenticating when PAP
didn't - indeed, they also couldn't explain the difference between PAP and
CHAP.

Any suggestions, or just light cast, would be gratefully received.

TIA,

Ben

1. VPN software using IPsec and Netopia R7100 router

I need to be able to run VPN software that uses IPsec on a PC on
my internal network to connect to a corporate firewall.

The problem is that if I have filters enabled on the router, the
VPN software doesn't work.  It actually doesn't matter what filters
are running.  Even a filter that says allow ANYTHING in and out will
stop the VPN software dead in it's tracks.

As soon as I disable the filter the VPN software works just fine!

Any ideas?
I had the same problem with a Flowpoint router.  Is there ANY DSL
router out there that handles IPsec?

I'm staill waiting to hear back from Netopia tech support.

--
Gregory Gulik

2. Seeking research on event modeling in interactive systems...

3. Anyone Using a Netopia Router?

4. WTB: CDTV and CD32 software!

5. FS: Netopia ISDN router - like new

6. Are there Win2K AD admin tools available for use on an XP Pro station yet?

7. Netopia ISDN Router DoV Calls?

8. PPP dial in

9. Netopia R3100 ISDN router....opinions, experience???

10. FS: Netopia 655 ISDN Router

11. Netopia R3100 ISDN Router?