Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA = NOPE

Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA = NOPE

Post by Andrew Chapli » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The Bitsurfr Pro ISA uses a virtual com port for the 2nd B.

This means that unless there's a linux driver for it you'll only get 1B.
This goes for NT as well.

Basically I'm SOL using the linux box as a firewall.  Even though I could
live with 1B, I'm paying for 2 and I like to get my money's worth.

I wondered why it was going for $60 at that auction.

> [...]

>for a few days now.  I can connect fine over 1B, and can use the other B
for
>voice calls.  It's obviously (I'm assuming here so watch out) not a case of
>bad SPIDs/DNs because both Bs work.

>Some info:

>ISDN phone co: Bell Atlantic
>ISP: Buffnet (uses Ascend routers)
>Linux hardware: an old Gateway 486SX/33 w/ Pentium Overdrive 83, 32M, 256k
>cache, 5.4G among 3 HD's, scsi card with some external periphs, Cabletron
>E21X, and 10x CD.
>Linux software: kernel 2.0.34, pppd 2.3.5, all patches listed by Redhat are
>applied

>That leaves a few choices:

>    Basically this configures the modem to use MLPPP and DOV.  FYI, the
>manual I have does not list the Factory Profiles correctly.  AT&F0
>configures the modem for Single-link PPP (I verified this by checking the
>relevant AT settings listed).  The dial string I use is ATD1234567&7 which
>was recommended by Motorola tech support, which differs from the manual.
>The manual lists two ways of dialing: after the & repeat the number; just
>include the &.

>2) The card isn't configured properly under linux.  Currently it is
>recognized as COM3 on IRQ3 at 0x3e8 and I use setserial to configure it for
>spd_vhi.  Here's my options file from /etc/ppp:

>connect "chat -vf /root/mypppscr"
>user <myuser>
>/dev/modem
>115200
>-detach
>modem
>lcp-max-configure 30
>ipcp-accept-local
>ipcp-accept-remote
>noipx
>lock
>debug
>asyncmap 0x00000000
>crtscts
>defaultroute
>noipdefault
>mru 1024

>Here's the chat script file:

>REPORT CONNECT
>ABORT BUSY
>ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
>'' +++ATZ

>OK ATD1234567\&7 CONNECT

>3) The modem has a defect or there's a problem with the line.  Inside I'm
>using Cat 5.

>Any ideas?  I'm going to try and get a number from Mot Tech Support where I
>can attempt an MLPPP connection and they can monitor things, or have them
>connect to me.  I've already done this with my ISP and no matter what I've
>tried nothing happens with the 2nd B.  I will also contact BA and have them
>run some tests.

>Thanks!

>Andrew Chaplin, Computer Operator
>Information Technology Services, Canisius College
>chaplina at canisius dot edu (remove devnull when replying via email)

Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA = NOPE

Post by Laurence V. Mar » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>The Bitsurfr Pro ISA uses a virtual com port for the 2nd B.

>This means that unless there's a linux driver for it you'll only get 1B.
>This goes for NT as well.

Are you sure?  I thought the general practice on these serially connected
TAs was to have software that terminated the PPP connection from the DTE
(your computer) and initiated an MP connection to the ISP, and transferred
the packets appropriately.

That means, of course, that Linux needs to only see a single PPP
connection.

It also means that you need a serial port faster than 115,200 to take
advantage of the 2 B-channels.

Laurence V. Marks
IBM Corp. - Research Triangle Park, NC

Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA = NOPE

Post by Mark Eva » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Are you sure?  I thought the general practice on these serially connected
> TAs was to have software that terminated the PPP connection from the DTE
> (your computer) and initiated an MP connection to the ISP, and transferred

Given the appropriate commands, such devices appear as a modem and would
need a specific AT command to tell them to use MPPP.

Quote:> the packets appropriately.

> That means, of course, that Linux needs to only see a single PPP
> connection.

Also it will see async PPP rather than sync PPP.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School

1. Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA

[...]

2. Trouble upgrading ugrade from OS 3.0 to 3.5

3. Linux RH 5.0 PPP hangs up after connect

4. COMMVIEW of OUTBOUND activity

5. Bitsurfer Pro and multilink PPP..???

6. PRODUCT ID NUMBER FOR WORKS

7. BitSURFER Pro Multilink PPP

8. Linux RH 5.0: Strange route table?

9. Bitsurfer Pro, Win98, MLPPP.. how?

10. Bitsurfr Pro + Linux PPP == no Multilink!!