USR X2 vs ISDN (Was: USR X2 upgrade free or not?

Post by Franck Brun » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I think ISDN is going to be
> firmly wedged into a niche market forever. ESPECIALLY if the big telcos
> (US West, NYNEX) keep up their halfhearted support.

That's amazing.

Down here, in my old France, our beloved operator - France Tlcom - is
marketing ISDN to make it affordable (not installation fee, rebate on
ISDN devices, rebate on digital calls, etc...). This policy does make
senses since 99.99 of France Tlcom network is digital. Why not then
converting the last 50 m of the network (between the customer and the
telco switch) ?

I heard that other european operators (Deutsch Telekom for example) have
the same gaol as France Telecom: trying to convert people to ISDN.

Most of the big ISPs in France charge the same fee as for analogic
connection: around 35 US $ unmettered access.

France Tlcoms charges around 40 US $/month for a BRI (compared to 15
US $ per analogic line).

[followup set to comp.dcom.isdn]

--
      Ung Awa

Post by Michael Eile » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > I think ISDN is going to be
> > firmly wedged into a niche market forever. ESPECIALLY if the big telcos
> > (US West, NYNEX) keep up their halfhearted support.

> That's amazing.

> Down here, in my old France, our beloved operator - France Tlcom - is
> marketing ISDN to make it affordable (not installation fee, rebate on
> ISDN devices, rebate on digital calls, etc...). This policy does make
> senses since 99.99 of France Tlcom network is digital. Why not then
> converting the last 50 m of the network (between the customer and the
> telco switch) ?

> I heard that other european operators (Deutsch Telekom for example) have
> the same gaol as France Telecom: trying to convert people to ISDN.

here in Arizona, setup fees run has high as $3000 for a business
(especially if you have a PBX phone sytem), plus well over $80 a month for
ISDN (this is added to the cost of your normal phone line) and most local
ISP's charge a premium ($40-$60 a month) for commercial online accounts.
With prices like these, its not exactly going to spread like wildfire. The
US telcos seem completely disinterested in ISDN. A friend of mine
struggled for 2 months to get his ISDN modem set up with a local ISP (they
had no Mac tech support at all, very tough to deal with) and finally
turned it off after 4 months--too much hassle, no real speed increase.

michael

USR X2 vs ISDN (Was: USR X2 upgrade free or not?

Post by Roeland Th. Jans » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I heard that other european operators (Deutsch Telekom for example) have
> the same gaol as France Telecom: trying to convert people to ISDN.

in the netherlands -- same story.

Quote:> Most of the big ISPs in France charge the same fee as for analogic
> connection: around 35 US $ unmettered access.

same. although approx $20.

Quote:> France Tlcoms charges around 40 US $/month for a BRI (compared to 15
> US $ per analogic line).

here the price is less than double of a POTS line. approx $25 for a single
pots, approx $45 for ISDN. all the services are metered. POTS or ISDN, no
substantial difference.

--
Grobbebol's Home (Linux 2.0.x i586)

Post by Eric J. Anders » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> I think ISDN is going to be
>> firmly wedged into a niche market forever. ESPECIALLY if the big telcos
>> (US West, NYNEX) keep up their halfhearted support.

>That's amazing.

>Down here, in my old France, our beloved operator - France Tlcom - is
>marketing ISDN to make it affordable (not installation fee, rebate on
>ISDN devices, rebate on digital calls, etc...). This policy does make
>senses since 99.99 of France Tlcom network is digital. Why not then
>converting the last 50 m of the network (between the customer and the
>telco switch) ?

Agreed - In nashville, Bell South is (or was - it's been about 6 mos. since
I looked into this) offering free ISDN BRI installation and the cost of the
line is only about $25 a month - That's 2 phone lines essentially for $25
compared to the standard Analog line that's about $21 a month per line.

ISDN in this area is actually cheaper than adding an additional analog
line. now if I could just shell out the $300 for an ISDN TA ........

--
-----

InHouse Productions       http://www.nashville.net/~eric
-----
-----
If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex in the box?

Post by Joe » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>> I think ISDN is going to be
>>> firmly wedged into a niche market forever. ESPECIALLY if the big telcos
>>> (US West, NYNEX) keep up their halfhearted support.

>>That's amazing.

>>Down here, in my old France, our beloved operator - France Tlcom - is
>>marketing ISDN to make it affordable (not installation fee, rebate on
>>ISDN devices, rebate on digital calls, etc...). This policy does make
>>senses since 99.99 of France Tlcom network is digital. Why not then
>>converting the last 50 m of the network (between the customer and the
>>telco switch) ?
>Agreed - In nashville, Bell South is (or was - it's been about 6 mos. since
>I looked into this) offering free ISDN BRI installation and the cost of the
>line is only about $25 a month - That's 2 phone lines essentially for $25
>compared to the standard Analog line that's about $21 a month per line.
>ISDN in this area is actually cheaper than adding an additional analog
>line. now if I could just shell out the $300 for an ISDN TA ........
>--
>-----

>InHouse Productions       http://www.nashville.net/~eric
>-----
>-----
>If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex in the box?

Ya but TN is a HUGE exception to the rule when it comes to ISDN.  My
charges are $40 a month for phone and $40 a month for ISP.

USR X2 vs ISDN (Was: USR X2 upgrade free or not?

Post by Franck Brun » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[about ISDN in Arizona]

Quote:> A friend of mine
> struggled for 2 months to get his ISDN modem set up with a local ISP (they
> had no Mac tech support at all, very tough to deal with) and finally
> turned it off after 4 months--too much hassle, no real speed increase.

I got my ISDN line two weeks after the it was ordered. The telco guys
worked in my place for two half-days. They installed and programmed a
kind of analogic <-> digital converter with 2 POTS and a S0 bus. Each
interface has its own phone number. It's convenient 'cause incoming
calls are routed to the corect outlet.

I plugged my ISDN Planet2B SAGEM card in the S0 bus and that was it. I
was hooked. And things worked flawessly. We don't have SPIDs down here,
nor we need NT-1 (it's build-in).

Bottom line: in France ISDN set-up is just "plug-and-play". I was a bit
afraid at some point because I read so many horrendous stories about
people struggling with ISDN in the US.

The dark side of the coin is that local calls are time-metered in France
(3 US $ / h).

--
      Ung Awa

Post by Frédéric FAU » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Bottom line: in France ISDN set-up is just "plug-and-play". I was a bit
>afraid at some point because I read so many horrendous stories about
>people struggling with ISDN in the US.
>The dark side of the coin is that local calls are time-metered in France
>(3 US $ / h).

Rather, in **Europe** ISDN set-up is just "plug-and-play."

Quote:>--
>      Ung Awa

Gesundheit :-)

FF.

Post by John Stee » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>Bottom line: in France ISDN set-up is just "plug-and-play". I was a bit
>>afraid at some point because I read so many horrendous stories about
>>people struggling with ISDN in the US.

>>The dark side of the coin is that local calls are time-metered in France
>>(3 US $ / h).

>Rather, in **Europe** ISDN set-up is just "plug-and-play."

>>--
>>      Ung Awa
>Gesundheit :-)

>FF.

Well, I've done three BRIs so far here in the States and as far as I'm
concerned its been pretty much plug-and-play also. Any problems have been with
Win95 drivers being "less than perfect". But, using an Ascend router for
example, just plug it in and it goes.

John

: survival is a matter of instinct, it takes insyte to succeed :
:--------------------------------------------------------------:
:             information systems technology, inc.             :
:   marcus centre - ph 20 / 9990 sw 77 ave / miami, fl 33156   :
:             tel 305.595.4845 / fax 305.595.4845              :

Post by John H.F. Mil » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>Bottom line: in France ISDN set-up is just "plug-and-play". I was a bit
>>afraid at some point because I read so many horrendous stories about
>>people struggling with ISDN in the US.

>>The dark side of the coin is that local calls are time-metered in France
>>(3 US $ / h).

>Rather, in **Europe** ISDN set-up is just "plug-and-play."

Or maybe "Plug-and-PAY"...

One day european telephone companies might give flat fee dialing...

Quote:

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Or maybe "Plug-and-PAY"...

> One day european telephone companies might give flat fee dialing...

We used to have flat-fee for local calls here in the Netherlands up to a
some 10 years ago (at 15 Dutch cents, about 9 cents US) a call. Probably
too many nailed-up calls or somesuch, because they ditched it and went
to metered. The joys of a telecom monopoly...(NOT!).

                Regards,

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        IT Network Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BGS 16
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724

USR X2 vs ISDN (Was: USR X2 upgrade free or not?

Post by Roeland Th. Jans » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >Rather, in **Europe** ISDN set-up is just "plug-and-play."
> Or maybe "Plug-and-PAY"...
> One day european telephone companies might give flat fee dialing...

don't count on it. it would cause major headaches for the telco's (exhausted
line-pools) and the same for the ISP's. you could leave one B up 24/7 and if
anyone does... the bandwidth will be chewed up soon.

then, the flat fee for the ISP vanishes....

--
Grobbebol's Home (Linux 2.0.x i586)

USR X2 vs ISDN (Was: USR X2 upgrade free or not?

Post by Franck Brun » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> One day european telephone companies might give flat fee dialing...

I doubt so.

The market is not the same here as in the US. There aren't any local
phone compagny who get fees from long distance calls that would cross it
switches.

Actually we used to have in France some kind of flat-fee ages ago (30
cts / h for local calls). Those days are over. Locals calls are
expensive 'cause I guess it's expensive to build-up the last 10 meters
of a phone line.

--
      Ung Awa

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> One day european telephone companies might give flat fee dialing...

Actually, we used to have a similar tariff in Germany. I think there was
a flat charge for each local call, no matter how long it lasted. Of
course, back then there were only voice calls and who would nail up a
phone line for voice? The metering of local calls accompanied the
introduction of BTX ("Bildschirmtext", cf. French Minitel), a videotex
service that the Telco believed would become as popular as the Internet
eventually turned out a decade later.

Which reminds me of the way the Telco slogans changed over the years:
from "Fasse Dich kurz" (Keep it short) to "Ruf doch mal an" (Call a
friend today).

ObISDN: POTS and ISDN calls are metered exactly alike in Germany, and
        there is no distinction between ISDN voice and ISDN data calls
        either.
--

  See another pointless homepage at <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/>.
 -- currently reading: A.E. van Vogt, The Voyage of the Space Beagle --

1. The New USR x2 to x2 upgrade

        The "upgrade wizard" is the method that USR is using (and may
use in the future) to charge USR Sportster owners for upgrades to new
technologies.  It is NOT designed for Couriers (although future
versions of the upgrade wizard will work with Couriers as well).  Use
the SDL files, just like you've always done, to upgrade your Courier.

Anthony Hill           |  Despite popular belief, this

2. Copying drives using XCOPY?

3. USR 56.6 X2 modem - NT not supported by USR !!!!!

4. Rockwell RC288ACx (V.34+V.FC) AT manual online

5. How does USR X2 upgrade work on 33.6 USR Sportster internal modems

6. Creating a web project outside of wwwroot remotely

7. Did U.S.R. rip-off everyone for their free X2 upgrade?

8. Technical Illustration FAQ (v 1.1.1)

9. USR Courer: port speed > 115.2k as a free bonus w/X2 upgrade?

10. USR x2 upgrade now FREE ?

11. USR never sent me my "FREE" X2 upgrade

12. Anyone received the free ($7) X2 upgrade from USR yet?