ISDN 128 Kbs with USR Sportster Help!

Post by SAGE » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am unable to obtain 128K running Windows 95 with the US Robotics 128K
Sportster and PPP Turbo enabled. Both lines are connected. I am told
that it has something to do with the way the modems at the ISP are
connected.
Does anyone know anything about this problem?
Can I do simultaneous connections?
Change my ISP?

Regards

Post by David Richar » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I am unable to obtain 128K running Windows 95 with the US Robotics 128K
>Sportster and PPP Turbo enabled. Both lines are connected. I am told
>that it has something to do with the way the modems at the ISP are
>connected.
>Does anyone know anything about this problem?
>Can I do simultaneous connections?
>Change my ISP?

You already posted about this, right?

With "TurboPPP" enabled and the dialup configured to call both numbers, chances
are the problem is exactly as the ISP stated- they are using individual BRIs
with standalone "client" type dialup networking devices (Pipeline 50 or the
like), as opposed to integrated "server" hardware.

Unless you happen to be lucky enough to get both channels on the same
device, you CANNOT get 128Kbps with this configuration. The solution is to
change to an ISP that has real ISDN hardware on their end that either uses
PRIs or allows calls to span multiple BRIs.

Call prospective providers and ask them about this exact problem. Providers
that use the Ascend MAX, Livingston PM2i or PM3, and Gandalf XPressway will
not have this problem.

--
David Richards                             Ripco, since Nine*-Eighty-Three
My opinions are my own,                    Public Access in Chicago

Post by Roeland Th. Janse » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Unless you happen to be lucky enough to get both channels on the same
> device, you CANNOT get 128Kbps with this configuration. The solution is to
> change to an ISP that has real ISDN hardware on their end that either uses
> PRIs or allows calls to span multiple BRIs.

it's not the 'real ISDN hardware' per se. my ISP doens't allow it, to keep a
fair amount of channels free for other calling people.

--
Grobbebol's Home (Linux 2.0.xx i586)

Post by David Richar » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>> Unless you happen to be lucky enough to get both channels on the same
>> device, you CANNOT get 128Kbps with this configuration. The solution is to
>> change to an ISP that has real ISDN hardware on their end that either uses
>> PRIs or allows calls to span multiple BRIs.

>it's not the 'real ISDN hardware' per se. my ISP doens't allow it, to keep a
>fair amount of channels free for other calling people.

But the original question was not about ISP policy, but about an ISP that
said 128K is possible, but only if you're lucky enough to hit consecutive
channels.

All the hardware I know of that supports Multi-Link supports the ability
to limit the number of channels on a per-user basis. So policy is easy to
enforce.

--
David Richards                             Ripco, since Nine*-Eighty-Three
My opinions are my own,                    Public Access in Chicago
But they are available for rental          Shell/SLIP/PPP/UUCP/ISDN/Leased

1. Not Getting 128 Kbs with USR 128 K Sporster

I have a dial-up connection using Windows 95 and a USR 128K Sportster
with PPP turbo enabled. I am getting connected with both lines but at
64K. On cheking with my ISP I am told that if my connection is not with
adjacent modems I will not get more than 64K. Watching the USR manager
password verification has to be completed on the first line before a
connection is made to the second line. This is taking 15 secs or more.
This makes the possibility of connecting with adjacent modems less
probable. Does any one know how to resolve this problem? Can you have
simultaneous connections? Do I have a bum ISP?

Conrad

2. SIO Drivers

3. ForSale: ISC SecureLink II 128 ISDN TA w/ringer module (AKA, USR Sportster 128 ISDN TA)

4. ScanMaker E3 - Help, please....

5. FS: USR Sportster 128 ISDN TA

6. Simple batch file help

7. compatible isdn modems with usr internal sportster 128

8. pro/e musterung am unfang, mittellinie

9. USR Sportster 128 ISDN problem

10. USR Sportster 128/ISDN Drivers

11. FS: USR Sportster 128 ISDN $250

12. USR Sportster 128 ISDN Availability