BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by Southern Californi » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I spoke with a consultant recently who said Motorola is selling a lot
of BirSurfer Pros but the have problems hooking up to Ascend ISP's or
something like that.  He said 3Com works great and the Motorola is
junk.

I see a lot of notes in this group about Motorola but not one about
3Com.  Do 3coms work so well nobody has problems?!  Or does nobody ever
buy 3coms?

Would like to know if you have heard of any objective comparisons in
print or from actual experience.  THANKS!

Tommy Rainey
Emergency Lifeline Corp
Santa Ana, CA

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by Ron Ro » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I see a lot of notes in this group about Motorola but not one about
>3Com.  Do 3coms work so well nobody has problems?!  Or does nobody ever
>buy 3coms?

This group has changed a lot from a year ago, when all the talk was of
routers and bridges and Ascend vs. Cisco. Apart from all the telco problems
attendant on ISDN, routers require more configuration so the discussion
here was highly technical.

At that time, a little company named AccessWorks was the only one making an
"all in one" terminal adapter for under $1000 and they were Mac oriented
and largely unproven. Then Motorola introduced the original Bitsurfr at
$400, $200 less than the AccessWorks device at the time, marketed it
through large mail order catalogs, and coincidentally, the RBOCs got
agressive about SOHO ISDN. So suddenly there were many posters here who
wouldn't have considered ISDN in the "bad old days" (I'm one).

Price is a major consideration for them (and why not?) and Motorola has
continued to price the Bitsurfrs very aggressively. They're now about $250
for the original and $350 for the Pro. Meantime, AccessWorks was acquired
by 3Com who renamed the device "Impact," and priced it at $499, still high
by comparision.

Just last week 3Com reduced the price of the Impact to $399, so I suspect
that given that VARs and RBOC authorized agents (like yours and mine) have
a lot of experience with the Impact for some reason, you'll be seeing a lot
more questions about them now that price isn't so much of an issue.

I just got an Impact, at my agent's urging, and while everything is not
working together yet, I suspect line configuration is the biggest problem.
Two other considerations: the Bitsurfr Pro does not have Mac configuration
sw (may not matter to you) and they are not so widely available as the
Impact (if you want to buy something right away).

In general, committing to ISDN is crazy without the help of an agent you
trust. If he likes the Impact, I'd go with it. As an agent he probably has
some latitude to return devices if they don't work out. If you were to buy
a Bitsurfr against his advice (particularly mail order) you might not only
have more headaches, you might have trouble returning it.

Good luck.

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by David Pla » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>I spoke with a consultant recently who said Motorola is selling a lot
>of BirSurfer Pros but the have problems hooking up to Ascend ISP's or
>something like that.  He said 3Com works great and the Motorola is
>junk.

According to Ascend (I spoke to their technical support group), the
Bitsurfer Pro and Impact both work with their Ascend equipment that does
Multilink PPP.

Quote:>I see a lot of notes in this group about Motorola but not one about
>3Com.  Do 3coms work so well nobody has problems?!  Or does nobody ever
>buy 3coms?

I actually purchased a 3Com Impact External from NECX Direct based on
their statement (both on the Web page and verbally) that the 3Com Impact
came with a lifetime warranty.  This is not the case (NECX Direct has
changed their Web page).  The 3Com Impact External comes with a one year
warranty and the Bitsurfer Pro comes with a five year warranty.

I also paid about $50 less for the Bitsurfer.  The NECX Direct price for
the 3Com Impact is $394 and the price I paid for the Bitsurfer Pro was
$349.  According to the Internet providers I have spoken to, the
Bitsurfer Pro is just as compatible with most provider equipment as the
3Com Impact.

>Would like to know if you have heard of any objective comparisons in
>print or from actual experience.  THANKS!

>Tommy Rainey
>Emergency Lifeline Corp
>Santa Ana, CA

I ended going with the Bitsurfer Pro merely because I couldn't live with
the idea of a one year warranty on such a critical and relatively
expensive device.  3Com doesn't even have a repair price for the Impact
since the product hasn't been out for a year and all devices are still
under warranty.  I have a problem with the idea that a product that costs
$50 more would come with 1/5 the warranty.

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by Steve Lille » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm using the 3Com Impact, and I think it's great.  I'm not sure
about the Motorola BitSurfr Pro, but the Impact comes with updated
serial port (comm) drivers.  Setup was a piece of cake....

Steve

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by Russ Teasdal » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>says...

>>I spoke with a consultant recently who said Motorola is selling a lot
>>of BirSurfer Pros but the have problems hooking up to Ascend ISP's or
>>something like that.  He said 3Com works great and the Motorola is
>>junk.

>According to Ascend (I spoke to their technical support group), the
>Bitsurfer Pro and Impact both work with their Ascend equipment that does
>Multilink PPP.

      Indeed true! I have no idea who Tommy's consultant is,
but I hope that no one's paying for consulting of that caliber.
We're very happily hosting a lot of Pro users on multilink
into our Ascend MAXes.

      Note that some providers took a long time to figure out
how to make multilink work properly on the Pro. This may be
the source of the rumors.

--
Russ Teasdale

InterNex Information Services           <http://www.internex.net>
2302 Walsh Ave.                         <tel: 408-496-5467 x108>
Santa Clara, CA  95051                  <fax: 408-496-5485>

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by tcap.. » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>  I spoke with a consultant recently who said Motorola is selling a lot
>  of BirSurfer Pros but the have problems hooking up to Ascend ISP's or
>  something like that.  He said 3Com works great and the Motorola is
>  junk.

>  I see a lot of notes in this group about Motorola but not one about
>  3Com.  Do 3coms work so well nobody has problems?!  Or does nobody ever
>  buy 3coms?

>  Would like to know if you have heard of any objective comparisons in
>  print or from actual experience.  THANKS!

>  Tommy Rainey
>  Emergency Lifeline Corp
>  Santa Ana, CA

My Bitsurfr pro works great in my IP's Acsend units,  even MLPPP!!!

I highley recommend it!

My Personal HOME WEB PAGE               www.earthlink.net/~tcapote

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by Aldon Hyn » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I spoke with a consultant recently who said Motorola is selling a lot
>of BirSurfer Pros but the have problems hooking up to Ascend ISP's or
>something like that.  He said 3Com works great and the Motorola is
>junk.

My three cents (inflation):
I have a Bitsurfer Pro and a 3com Impact sitting at my desk right now.
(I have also been playing with the Adtran's and the Zyxel's)

My current requirements are for BONDING, so I am leaning towards the
Adtrans or the Bitsurfer Pro's.  The 3com Impacts do not support
BONDING.

Both the 3coms and the Bitsurfr Pro's support ML-PPP.  Hopefully I
will test this sometime soon.

The Adtrans have been easy to set up.  The Bitsurfrs have been a little
more difficult, but I like the Bitsurfr's.  Two RJ-11 ports are nice
as well as some of the caller id etc features.

- Aldon Hynes

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by jkere.. » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I'm using the 3Com Impact, and I think it's great.  I'm not sure
>about the Motorola BitSurfr Pro, but the Impact comes with updated
>serial port (comm) drivers.  Setup was a piece of cake....

>Steve

For the record, my BitSurfr Pro came with TurboComm, a program that
replaces the standard Windows communications driver so you can
reliably go faster than 19,200 bps.

John Kerenyi

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by Janne Lahteenma » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Would like to know if you have heard of any objective comparisons in
>print or from actual experience.  THANKS!

I don't know about your location, but I have to give up Bitsurfr Pro
because it is very sensitive to 700 - 1200 kHz AM radio stations. I
couldn't run my house wiring with three analog telephones connected to
POTS port without hearing couple of local AM stations broadcast
through every phone,  loud and clear.

I then went to 3Com Impact and it runs house wiring with no problems.
This one is also stated in Motorolas manual.  "BSP is not intended to
run existing house wiring and ringer equivalency (REN) shouldn't
exceed 2.0 at any time".  3Com's REN is 3.0 and house wiring is no
problem.

BSP has two POTS ports but, devices connected to them has to be
practically in a same desktop.  Although, I have heard someone saying
that even house wiring is not a problem with their location, but this
guy was living somewhere in mountains and didn't have very good AM
reception anyway.

Just something to think about.

Janne Lah*maki

BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

Post by Eric C » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: For the record, my BitSurfr Pro came with TurboComm, a program that
: replaces the standard Windows communications driver so you can
: reliably go faster than 19,200 bps.

Yep, the 3Com unit comes with the very same software.  Also like the BS
Pro, it comes with their own config program, which wasn't quite as
polished as the config program for the Moto product, but I found it less
confusing to work with.  Anyway, I guess I am just unlucky with the BS
Pro;  mine blew up during the firmware upgrade that I needed to do MLPPP,
and Moto couldn't replace the unit at the time, so I went with 3Com.  I
never could get the BS Pro to dial my ISP, though it did great calling the
Moto BBS.  The 3Com unit worked right out of the box.

                                        Eric

--
NEEDHAM'S ELECTRONICS - Device Programmers
BBS: (916) 924-8094   |  For free software updates:

1. 3Com Impact vs BitSurfer Pro for ISDN

I'm in the process of trying to put together enough money to
move to ISDN. On one hand, the Motorola Bitsurfer Pro is relatively
inexpensive, and (as I understand it) provide two 64 kbps digital lines,
one 128 kbps digital line, or one digital and one analog, at any given
time. Is this correct?

        The only person I've actually talked to uses a 3Com Impact unit,
and absolutely swears by it. He has four computers, two Mac and two IBM,
and a bridge that connects the AppleTalk network to the Ethernet
network.

        The Impcat is more expensive, but might be worth it. I'd like
some more opinions from people who've used one or the other. If there's
anyone who's used both, I'd be about as happy as any one man can be.

        Thanks.

Rich

2. looking for authors

3. Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

4. Registering with search engines?????

5. BitSurfer vs. BitSurfer Pro?

6. Mac II scrren blanker

7. Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

8. vera cruz

9. Motorola Bitsurfer vs Bitsurfer PRO

10. BitSurfer vs. BitSurfer Pro

11. TA's - 3Com vs Bitsurfer vs ??

12. 3Com OCLM vs 3Com USR ISDN Pro Ta-U USB

13. FS: 3COM OCLM & Motorola Bitsurfer Pro