Bell Canada Tariff and basic questions

Bell Canada Tariff and basic questions

Post by Geoffrey P Wai » Thu, 18 Mar 1993 09:11:28



Hello, ISDN is slowly coming to Toronto, and I have been chasing Bell
for information.  Unless I can verify rumours that it is possible to
obtain ISDN service much more cheaply, I probably won't do it.  However
here is what Bell currenly claims I need to get ISDN to my home:

Changing my phone numbers (a minor nuisance)

Getting permission of the Landlord to change the cabling to my
apartment, and having them foot the bill (since Bell didn't suggest
that I could pay for it, I assume it will be hideously expensive.)
  This could be a major hassle; what is wrong with the current copper?

For a BRI,                  $111.50/month
Universal Terminal Adapter   $55.00/month
NT-1                         $20.00/month
+ taxes

vs $30/month+taxes for two POTS lines with Touch-tone.

Hopefully I will be allowed to buy my own adapters rather than renting
them from Bell; however, could someone tell me what a UTA does?  Can I
do anything without one?  In particular, I would like to setup my
computer to use one B channel (beyond that would be too useful to
contemplate,) and have the other B channel for a regular voice line.  I
realize this is rather mundane, but given the above pricing structure,
I doubt anyone could afford all the adaptors to have an interesting
configuration.

Since the message the Bell representative left on my answering machine
emphasized to call them "if I was seriously considering ISDN", after all
of the above, I suspect they don't expect anyone to be interested either.

Thanks for any assistance

Geoffrey Waigh

 
 
 

Bell Canada Tariff and basic questions

Post by Winston Sorfle » Fri, 19 Mar 1993 02:03:24



Quote:>Hello, ISDN is slowly coming to Toronto, and I have been chasing Bell
>for information.  Unless I can verify rumours that it is possible to
>obtain ISDN service much more cheaply, I probably won't do it.  However
>here is what Bell currenly claims I need to get ISDN to my home:

>Changing my phone numbers (a minor nuisance)

>Getting permission of the Landlord to change the cabling to my
>apartment, and having them foot the bill (since Bell didn't suggest
>that I could pay for it, I assume it will be hideously expensive.)
>  This could be a major hassle; what is wrong with the current copper?

Possibly there are taps and stuff that prevent passing ISDN over the
current lines.  There is the usual requirement of distance from the CO
as well.

Quote:>For a BRI,                  $111.50/month
>Universal Terminal Adapter   $55.00/month
>NT-1                         $20.00/month
>+ taxes

>vs $30/month+taxes for two POTS lines with Touch-tone.

>Hopefully I will be allowed to buy my own adapters rather than renting
>them from Bell; however, could someone tell me what a UTA does?  Can I
>do anything without one?  In particular, I would like to setup my
>computer to use one B channel (beyond that would be too useful to
>contemplate,) and have the other B channel for a regular voice line.  I
>realize this is rather mundane, but given the above pricing structure,
>I doubt anyone could afford all the adaptors to have an interesting
>configuration.

The UTA in all probability is the M-5000T, a Northern Telecom product.
It allows the use of regular analog POTS phones and modems as well as
direct access via an RS-232 port.  There is of course no requirement for
using Bell (i.e. NT equipment) - any NI-1 compliant device should work.
I think Fujitsu and AT&T have similar offerings.

One can also buy NT equipment from other (possibly cheaper) suppliers than
BC.  As an alternative to a UTA, the M5317TD telephone is cheaper and has
an RS-232 port, up to 19.2Kbs.  Of course, then that phone has to be beside
the computer and you can't have any extensions.

Bear in mind that you can't use ISDN like a regular modem.  You need a
either a machine on the other end that can understand (like a dataunit)
or a modem pool somewhere (maybe offered by the telco) that "translates"
to speak to a regular analog modem.

Quote:>Since the message the Bell representative left on my answering machine
>emphasized to call them "if I was seriously considering ISDN", after all
>of the above, I suspect they don't expect anyone to be interested either.

Microlink, as BC calls it, is pretty expensive compared to the offerings
of some of the American Telcos.  But Bell still considers it cost-effective.
Remember that (a) this is considered a Business offering and (b) this
includes Centrex-category service on the "two lines".  

Disclaimer: I certainly don't speak for Bell Canada.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

                   |                  |   ISDN Layer 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opinions expressed are purely personal and do not represent Northern Telecom
or Bell-Northern Research in any way.

 
 
 

Bell Canada Tariff and basic questions

Post by Michael H » Sun, 21 Mar 1993 06:45:24



Quote:>Hello, ISDN is slowly coming to Toronto, and I have been chasing Bell
>for information.
>For a BRI,                  $111.50/month in Toronto

                               92.00/month in Ottawa

Quote:>Universal Terminal Adapter   $55.00/month in Toronto

                               57.00/month in Ottawa

Quote:>NT-1                         $20.00/month in Toronto

                               17.00/month in Ottawa

Of course, Bell Canada is counting on all the elegant office workers in
fat city Ottawa downtown to go for the whole show. I'll wait for the
next rate reduction before I will subscribe.

There is a terminal adaptor from NT called M5000TD-1 that can run async
up to 38400 bps. Otherwise, the two NT phones M5317T and M5209T have
serial ports that can run up to 19200 bps. The terminal adaptor handles
analog phone sets also. But in order to get all the telephone features
offered by ISDN, it's a lot easier to activate them on a real ISDN
phone.

I've set the follow-up to comp.dcom.isdn. Could someone from Vancouver
please post what B.C. Tel is charging for ISDN over there?

--

 
 
 

Bell Canada Tariff and basic questions

Post by Bob Larribea » Tue, 23 Mar 1993 01:03:46


>DATE:   19 Mar 93 21:45:24 GMT


>>Hello, ISDN is slowly coming to Toronto, and I have been chasing Bell
>>for information.

>>For a BRI,                  $111.50/month in Toronto
>                               92.00/month in Ottawa

>>Universal Terminal Adapter   $55.00/month in Toronto
>                               57.00/month in Ottawa

>>NT-1                         $20.00/month in Toronto
>                               17.00/month in Ottawa

...

Quote:>I've set the follow-up to comp.dcom.isdn. Could someone from Vancouver
>please post what B.C. Tel is charging for ISDN over there?

I was quoted $115.00/month plus $250 installation for a location in
Vancouver by Stentor.  I was quoted the same prices for Montreal as for Toronto.

        Bob Larribeau
        San Francisco

 
 
 

1. Bell Canada can't find AT&T Canada

A while ago I posted an item to comp.dcom.telecom / the Telecom Digest
about some alphabetization issues in telephone directories.  I pointed
out in particular that Bell Canada treats corporate names that consist
of a string of initials in a special way, which generally results in
them appearing at the front of the listings for their letter, in a
sequence that isn't the one that most people would first think of.

It turns out that normal users of the directories are not the only
ones who may be confused by this.  Two recent articles in our local
area newsgroup "tor.general" have cited instances of Bell Canada
directory assistance (411) operators being unable to locate listings,
which actually existed, for so-named companies.  (Of course, the fault may
lie with badly designed database-query software rather than the queriers.)

One of the companies was AT&T Canada!

--
Mark Brader             "A computer[']s view of the world is analogous [to] a
SoftQuad Inc.            flashlight in the dark.  What they can see, they see
Toronto                  well.  What they can't see, they see not at all."

2. OpenSSH 2.3.0/FreeBSD & OpenSSH 2.9p1/Linux 2.2.19-4.3mdksecure

3. Bell Canada and Bank of Montreal Offer Bell MasterCard

4. Star NX-2420 printer driver wanted

5. Bell Canada Offers "Bell Rewards" to Residential Customers

6. missing ".." directory

7. Basic Rate Tariffs

8. Was DM ][ released??

9. Caller ID and Bell Atlantic's Centrex ISDN Tariff

10. Pac Bell ISDN Tariff Protest Info

11. Pac*Bell Permanent Virtual Connection Service Tariff

12. Tariffs in Pac*Bell land?

13. Cincinnati Bell ISDN Tariff :-(