USR Sportster, NT 4.0, call drop: anyone seen this work?

USR Sportster, NT 4.0, call drop: anyone seen this work?

Post by Ted Mille » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone actually *experienced* the call-drop feature working on NT4.0
with the USR Sportster 128K? When I'm connected with 2B, dialing either
number gets a busy signal, and picking up the phone attached to the analog
port doesn't do anything either (I hear ISDN modulation tones).

USR's tech support was of no help (still haven't heard back after a month).

Post by J. Renne » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Has anyone actually *experienced* the call-drop feature working on NT4.0
>with the USR Sportster 128K? When I'm connected with 2B, dialing either
>number gets a busy signal, and picking up the phone attached to the analog
>port doesn't do anything either (I hear ISDN modulation tones).
>USR's tech support was of no help (still haven't heard back after a month).

You mean they actually advertise that call drop is supposed to work
under NT 4? I've never had it work. Same deal. Both channels
connected, modulation tones and a busy signal. One channel connected,
dial tone and ring.

Seeing how we've yet to escape the constraints of a 56K line to the
Internet, one channel for web browsing isn't a big deal to me.

I, too, would be interested in anyone that's gotten the call-drop
feature to work, however.

Jeff Rennert
Network Administrator
ThoughtWorks, Inc.

My opinions are my own, not TW's, etc.

Post by Robert Bono » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>Has anyone actually *experienced* the call-drop feature working on NT4.0
>>with the USR Sportster 128K? When I'm connected with 2B, dialing either
>>number gets a busy signal, and picking up the phone attached to the analog
>>port doesn't do anything either (I hear ISDN modulation tones).

Note: I don't have NT, -or- a sportster.

However, in order for -any- TA to do this kind of 'drop on incoming call',
you have to have the lines properly 'provisioned' *at*the*telephone*company*.
the magic words are "Additional Call offering (ACO)", and possibly "additional
call appearance (ACA)".

w/o that, there is *no* way for the TA to 'find out' that there is _another_
incoming call, and have the option of dropping one of the existing B channels
to 'pick up' the new call.

Automatic call drop for use of the _outgoing_ phone call is typically *not*
supported.  The assumption is that *you* are in 'control' of the situation,
and if you want to free a line to make a call, then you -will- do so. <grin>

>>USR's tech support was of no help (still haven't heard back after a month).

>You mean they actually advertise that call drop is supposed to work
>under NT 4? I've never had it work. Same deal. Both channels
>connected, modulation tones and a busy signal. One channel connected,
>dial tone and ring.

>Seeing how we've yet to escape the constraints of a 56K line to the
>Internet, one channel for web browsing isn't a big deal to me.

>I, too, would be interested in anyone that's gotten the call-drop
>feature to work, however.

>Jeff Rennert
>Network Administrator
>ThoughtWorks, Inc.

>My opinions are my own, not TW's, etc.

USR Sportster, NT 4.0, call drop: anyone seen this work?

Post by Boyan Biando » Sun, 17 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>the magic words are "Additional Call offering (ACO)", and possibly "additional
>call appearance (ACA)".

3Com Impact can do the drop on the outgoing calls by default - you pickup
the POTS line, it drops B2. It also works for the incomming on pac bell
owned att 5ess switch, which was specifically set to work with 3com.
(dont know what they did there)
--
---

http://citynight.com/~boyan/

Post by J. Renne » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>>Has anyone actually *experienced* the call-drop feature working on NT4.0
>>>with the USR Sportster 128K? When I'm connected with 2B, dialing either
>>>number gets a busy signal, and picking up the phone attached to the analog
>>>port doesn't do anything either (I hear ISDN modulation tones).
>Note: I don't have NT, -or- a sportster.
>However, in order for -any- TA to do this kind of 'drop on incoming call',
>you have to have the lines properly 'provisioned' *at*the*telephone*company*.
>the magic words are "Additional Call offering (ACO)", and possibly "additional
>call appearance (ACA)".

If this is true, and I don't have any reason to think it isn't, I
think USR users such as myself are out of luck. USR tech support made
it very clear to me on more than one occasion that you can have
absolutely no functionality built into the line other than voice
capability for the device to function properly. No call waiting, no
voice mail, no call forwarding, zilch. I'd think that with a little
more work they could get the 128K to funtion with those services, but
I warn you, if you make little suggestions like those or, gee,
built-in external ringing, tech support gets even more *ly than
usual.

Jeff Rennert
Network Administrator
ThoughtWorks, Inc.

My opinions are my own, not TW's, etc.

USR Sportster, NT 4.0, call drop: anyone seen this work?

Post by Ted Mille » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

The driver set for USR Sportster 128K includes a protocol analyzer that
shows control messages passing between the TA and the telco. It's very
arcae but if you stare at it long enough it actually provides some useful
info that makes some sense -- for example if you watch it while you are
dialing out you can clearly make out the call initiation and negotiation
sequence as the TA requests call setup and the isdn net replies, etc.

If you are connected with 1B and you dial one of your ISDN phone #'s from
elsewhere, the protocol analyzer clearly shows the arrival of the incoming
call -- including the originating phone #, the fact that it's Audio 3.1KHz,
the fact that the originating caller was non-ISDN, etc.

If I try this when connected with 2B, then the protocol analyzer shows
nothing. In other words, it is absolutely clear that my phone company is
not presenting the incoming call in any form to my ISDN TA when I'm already
using 2B for data. Thus is seem obvious that ACO is at a minimum a
requirement for the dynamic call drop to work.

Again, I'll let people know what happens.

Post by J. Renne » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>The driver set for USR Sportster 128K includes a protocol analyzer that
>shows control messages passing between the TA and the telco. It's very
>arcae but if you stare at it long enough it actually provides some useful
>info that makes some sense -- for example if you watch it while you are
>dialing out you can clearly make out the call initiation and negotiation
>sequence as the TA requests call setup and the isdn net replies, etc.

The protocol analyzer included with the USR is just like the rest of
the Sportster ISDN NT setup- not flashy, but effective. I was having
trouble initiating voice calls *at all*(e.g. no dial tone) when I
originally got my ISDN line set up, and played the part of a pinball
between USR and Ameritech, each blaming the other for the problems I
was experiencing. I piped a long session of fxshow.exe to a file and
analyzed it- my problems were related to only having one B channel
configured for voice. Even though it was the first channel, for some
reason the Sporster freaked out when it saw that both of them weren't
configured for voice, in spite of the fact that on 2-2 of the USR user
manual, B2 can/should be data-only. Regardless, I just told NT that I
only had one B channel, and it was configured for data and voice.
Thereafter it behaved normally, and used both channels anyway.

Sometimes I think USR makes good products in spite of themselves.
Rumor has it that they stole the Sporster ISDN. I believe it.

The output of the protocol analyzer isn't something to curl up next to
a fire with, but if you dig stuff like that, it's a great way to learn
about ISDN. And save your sanity dealing with USR and the telco.

I'm eager to hear how the ACO turns out.

Jeff Rennert
Network Administrator
ThoughtWorks, Inc.

My opinions are my own, not TW's, etc.

USR Sportster, NT 4.0, call drop: anyone seen this work?

Post by John Powe » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

ACO support is in beta currently.  It is for the Win95 drivers, not
the NT drivers.

>>The driver set for USR Sportster 128K includes a protocol analyzer that
>>shows control messages passing between the TA and the telco. It's very
>>arcae but if you stare at it long enough it actually provides some useful
>>info that makes some sense -- for example if you watch it while you are
>>dialing out you can clearly make out the call initiation and negotiation
>>sequence as the TA requests call setup and the isdn net replies, etc.

>The protocol analyzer included with the USR is just like the rest of
>the Sportster ISDN NT setup- not flashy, but effective. I was having
>trouble initiating voice calls *at all*(e.g. no dial tone) when I
>originally got my ISDN line set up, and played the part of a pinball
>between USR and Ameritech, each blaming the other for the problems I
>was experiencing. I piped a long session of fxshow.exe to a file and
>analyzed it- my problems were related to only having one B channel
>configured for voice. Even though it was the first channel, for some
>reason the Sporster freaked out when it saw that both of them weren't
>configured for voice, in spite of the fact that on 2-2 of the USR user
>manual, B2 can/should be data-only. Regardless, I just told NT that I
>only had one B channel, and it was configured for data and voice.
>Thereafter it behaved normally, and used both channels anyway.

Admittedly crude, but quite useful.

Quote:>Sometimes I think USR makes good products in spite of themselves.
>Rumor has it that they stole the Sporster ISDN. I believe it.

Purchased, not stolen.  USR purchased ISDN Systems Corp about a year
and a half ago.  The development team for the SecureLink remains
intact and continues to develop the Sportster 128 drivers, along with
contributing to other USR products.

Quote:>The output of the protocol analyzer isn't something to curl up next to
>a fire with, but if you dig stuff like that, it's a great way to learn
>about ISDN. And save your sanity dealing with USR and the telco.

>I'm eager to hear how the ACO turns out.

1. Anyone got a USR Sportster 128k working with NT 4.0 Beta 2 Server??

I need some help getting the USR-Sportster 128k working 100%.

64k is fine for now (I expect they'll release a new driver when NT 4.0 is
gold) ... but I can't seem to get DNS working.

Apparently an Ascend 400 can't too the PPP LCP extensions (which prevented
it working in the first place)...

After I switched *every* option I'm able to connect and ping IP numbers,
but I'm not able to use DNS for anything.

I've tried adding the DNS servers to ControlPanels:Networking:TCPIP:DNS and
to the RAS DNS server list (and alternated between the two) and it still
doesn't work

any help would be appreciated, basically, I can only retrieve mail from
servers if I specify their IP numbers ... no web surfing there.

P.S. the sportster works fine, with exactly the same configuration under
Win95 ... but I prefer WinNT 4.0 over '95

thanks in advance!

2. Need VBA for repeating copy and paste special

3. USR 33600 Sportster Voice & NT 4.0 not working well!

4. Adding/upgrading new fonts to teTeX 0.4

5. USR Sportster chip fix - anyone seen it?

6. SYSEDIT.EXE LOCKS UP

7. NT 4.0 SP 4 Drops w USR 336 int

8. mlppp over a courier i-modem and cisco

9. Help with Bit Surfer Pro ISA and NT 4.0...anyone make it work?

10. Anyone have a 3Com Impact and Turbocom 920 Working on NT 4.0?

11. multiple lines (128K) with NT 4.0 and Sportster ISDN......anyone know how???????

12. No port to install USR Sportster in Windows NT 4.0

13. USR Sportster 33.6 - Windows NT 4.0 & RAS