Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by da.. » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

What is the difference between these models?  The only thing I can
tell by literature is that the pro has analog ports (not worth an
extra $100 IMO).  Do they both support compression and bonding?

Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by Paul Matthew » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> What is the difference between these models?  The only thing I can
> tell by literature is that the pro has analog ports (not worth an
> extra $100 IMO).  Do they both support compression and bonding?

David,

Both the BitSurfr and the BitSurfr Pro support "bonding" but in
different ways. The BitSurfr can support something Motorola calls
Asynchronous Inverse Multiplexing (AI MUX). This appears to be a
proprietary protocol that " . . . is not widely implemented." That is,
noone but Motorola will sell you anything that can connect to it. The
BitSurfr Pro can provide Multilink PPP and works with other
(non-Motorola) products.

I bought a used BitSurfr for $150 and am using it at 64K on one channel.
It's really fine for my purposes, and maybe someday I will get a better
product, but only when they are cheaper. My ISP says they have customers
using the BSP and connecting at 112.5. I understand that if you have a
new very high speed serial port, you could get the full 128 with the BSP
(and maybe even with the BitSurfr if you only talked to another
BitSurfr).

If you buy one of these, look around pretty carefully. Don't pay more
than $150 for the BitSurfr (even new) or $250 for the BSP.

Regards,
Paul

Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by Gib Hen » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> What is the difference between these models?  The only thing I can
> tell by literature is that the pro has analog ports (not worth an
> extra $100 IMO).  Do they both support compression and bonding?

Check out http://www.mot.com.

BS has 1 POTS port; Pro has 2.
BS doesn't support multilink PPP (MPPP); Pro does
I think BOTH support BONDing, but no one else does, so who cares?
BS is not flash-ROM-upgradeable; Pro is.
BS won't support optional calling features; Pro will.

Cheers!

--
Gib Henry

* 80% of "computer literacy" consists of typing skill.
* 80% of "data processing" consists of sorting.
* Information seeks to be free.

  In human terms, Einstein was wrong:  the universe as we once
  knew it has imploded, and is rapidly becoming a small community.
  We are next-door neighbors, you and I.

Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by ri.. » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:08:25 -0400, Paul Matthews

>If you buy one of these, look around pretty carefully. Don't pay more
>than $150 for the BitSurfr (even new) or $250 for the BSP.

Where are you getting your prices from???  The lowest I can find the
BSP for is $349 (and that's using "www.pricewatch.com").

Since this is a modem I've been looking into, where can I expect to
find cheaper than what I've found it for?

--------------
Richard Malsch

Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by kevin ramsde » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: > What is the difference between these models?  The only thing I can
: > tell by literature is that the pro has analog ports (not worth an
: > extra $100 IMO).  Do they both support compression and bonding?

: BS has 1 POTS port; Pro has 2.
: BS doesn't support multilink PPP (MPPP); Pro does
: I think BOTH support BONDing, but no one else does, so who cares?
: BS is not flash-ROM-upgradeable; Pro is.
: BS won't support optional calling features; Pro will.

FYI, I just purchased the BS with the '+' options, which do support the
optional calling features like CallerID etc.  :)

I guess it's going to be called the Bitsurfr + now (BS+) ;)

Kevin Ramsdell
Hewlett Packard Response Center
20 Perimeter Summit Blvd.
Atlanta GA 30319
Standard Disclaimers Apply

Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by Cyrus Afza » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:08:25 -0400, Paul Matthews

>>If you buy one of these, look around pretty carefully. Don't pay more
>>than $150 for the BitSurfr (even new) or $250 for the BSP.

>Where are you getting your prices from???  The lowest I can find the
>BSP for is $349 (and that's using "www.pricewatch.com").

I've not seen it cheaper either. I already have a BS Pro and that's
about what I paid for mine about 4 months ago. Since then, I've looked
at several ads to see if I got burned, but that's about what everyone
else is charging for it.

Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by rhign.. » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>>If you buy one of these, look around pretty carefully. Don't pay more
>>>than $150 for the BitSurfr (even new) or $250 for the BSP.

>>Where are you getting your prices from???  The lowest I can find the
>>BSP for is $349 (and that's using "www.pricewatch.com").

>I've not seen it cheaper either. I already have a BS Pro and that's
>about what I paid for mine about 4 months ago. Since then, I've looked
>at several ads to see if I got burned, but that's about what everyone
>else is charging for it.

Bought my BSPro from Nortel for only $249 + $5 S&H.

Rod

Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by Gib Hen » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:08:25 -0400, Paul Matthews

> >>If you buy one of these, look around pretty carefully. Don't pay more
> >>than $150 for the BitSurfr (even new) or $250 for the BSP.

> >Where are you getting your prices from???  The lowest I can find the
> >BSP for is $349 (and that's using "www.pricewatch.com").

> I've not seen it cheaper either. I already have a BS Pro and that's
> about what I paid for mine about 4 months ago. Since then, I've looked
> at several ads to see if I got burned, but that's about what everyone
> else is charging for it.

Well, folks, I hear Northern Telecom has the BS for $145, and the Pro for
$245, but I think the deal is up at the end of August.  :-(  Sorry!

--

Post by ri.. » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>Where are you getting your prices from???  The lowest I can find the
>>BSP for is $349 (and that's using "www.pricewatch.com").
>I've not seen it cheaper either. I already have a BS Pro and that's
>about what I paid for mine about 4 months ago. Since then, I've looked
>at several ads to see if I got burned, but that's about what everyone
>else is charging for it.

Northern Telecom (http://www.isdn.nortel.net) says they have plenty of
BSP's for $249, and the promotion goes either until Halloween (10/31),
or whenever they run out.

I've ordered mine ... what are the rest of you wayting for!

--------------
Richard Malsch

Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

Post by Michael Ahe » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

One big difference is that the Pro is actually a subset of the BS in
some ways.

The PPP implementation is not standard and does not support all of the
latest authentication like CHAP.

Also, I am not sure if the BS has the same AM radio problem on the
POTS as I have in the PRO.

Post by Phillip M. Vog » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I've not seen it cheaper either. I already have a BS Pro and that's
>about what I paid for mine about 4 months ago. Since then, I've looked
>at several ads to see if I got burned, but that's about what everyone
>else is charging for it.

If you order your ISDN line through CICAT networks (they are an agent for
Bell Atlantic), they'll sell you a BS Pro for $200.

On another (related) note: You (Cyrus) have broken my first law of computer
purchasing..."NEVER LOOK BACK". No matter what you bought yesterday, and
no matter what price you paid, don't question your purchases. You'll find
something twice as good at half the price in tomorrow's paper.

Phillip

--
Phillip M. Vogel, President      | "It's not what you've been taught,
Bartal Design Group, Inc.        |  it's what you've learned." (me)

1. BitSurfer vs. BitSurfer Pro?

Hello All,

Can someone please explain to me what the BitSurfer Pro gives you over the plain
BitSurfer?  One of the big differences I noticed was that the Pro supports
Multilink PPP, and the regular one doesn't.  But, they both claim to transfer
data at 128Kbps.  What, then, is the difference between Multilink PPP and BONDING
(which is the protocol that the regular BitSurfer supports)?

Also, from reading a bunch of the threads, I've gotten that there's a ~112Kbps
limitation on the serial port.  Does this limitation only apply to ports without
the 16550 UART?  Or, does it apply to any serial port?

TIA,
Supin

2. Risc os Bugged?

3. Motorola Bitsurfer vs Bitsurfer PRO

4. FlatCombobox

5. BitSurfer vs. BitSurfer Pro

6. graphics.sty

7. Can you upgrade a bitsurfer to a bitsurfer pro?

8. Telephone Extender

9. Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

10. Bitsurfer Pro -- US vs European interface

11. Bitsurfer Pro vs EZ

12. BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?

13. Why??? Bitsurfer Pro vs USR 128k