Ascend killing TCP sessions

Post by Stuart D. Gathma » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

We have Ascend Pipeline 50 with the 6.1.19 software version.  We have the
Secure Connect option with 3DES purchased and enabled.  Our VPN is working
perfectly with one exception.  On every VPN link, TCP sessions are subjected
to an apparently random activity timeout.  For example, if I telnet across the

VPN, as long as I press a key every 5 minutes or so, the connection stays up
indefinitely.  If there is no activity, the session is killed by the router
with no logging or explanation.

This is killing us!  Ascend tech support suggested changing some of the
numbers in the FWTEMPL.DAT.  They didn't have any documentation - just change
them until it works better.  Since it takes about 1/2 hr per experiment, this
approach is impractical.  Does anyone know what the TCP_KEEPALIVE and
TCP_SHORT_KEELALIVE parameters do?

There is also a problem in that all TCP sessions are killed when the ISDN
connection goes down.  We have Filter Persistence = Yes, but this doesn't seem

to help.

--

Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703 591-6154
 "Microsoft is the QWERTY of Operating Systems" - SDG

1. Help! Ascend VPN kills telnet sessions

[...]

2. "The selected data source does not support parameter enumeration"

3. Internet Session via Dedicated Connection Causes All TCP/IP Sessions to Freeze

4. apple bug jam

5. PIX 6.3(5) kill ssh session?

6. Read Excel in ASP.net

7. How to kill a zombie ssh session on a router.

8. A wrapper that allows ssh using existing telnet client?

9. kill telnet sessions

10. Kill telnet Session

11. How to kill a RConsole session

12. Help: What's killing my telnet sessions?

13. Ascend Version Upgrade Kills Unit