ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by News VRSOF » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:27:55

Is it possible for a ISDN device to call an analogue device (like a stardand
telephone in Italy)?

Is it possible for a ISDN device receive a call from an analogue one?

Any help would be very apreciated.

Thanking

--
Verona Software S.r.l
Centro Direzionale Corte Pancaldo, 70

WebSite: www.vrsoft.it

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by Jochen Klei » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 00:42:57

To both questions: YES ofcourse!

Jochen Klein
www.servonic.com

> Is it possible for a ISDN device to call an analogue device (like a
stardand
> telephone in Italy)?

> Is it possible for a ISDN device receive a call from an analogue one?

> Any help would be very apreciated.

> Thanking

> --
> Verona Software S.r.l
> Centro Direzionale Corte Pancaldo, 70
> 37138 - Verona

> WebSite: www.vrsoft.it

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by Luca Di Girolam » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:26:08

Si, e' possibile!

>Is it possible for a ISDN device to call an analogue device (like a
stardand
>telephone in Italy)?

>Is it possible for a ISDN device receive a call from an analogue one?

>Any help would be very apreciated.

>Thanking

>--
>Verona Software S.r.l
>Centro Direzionale Corte Pancaldo, 70
>37138 - Verona

>WebSite: www.vrsoft.it

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by Tim Mille » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 10:22:51

I'm afraid the other two replies have been less than informative.

If you mean web-to-telephone calls, there shouldn't be a problem, if you
are familiar with the procedure.

If you mean telephone-to-telephone calls... 128 kbaud ISDN devices
require two telephone lines, both of which have distinct telephone
numbers. Normally, the router will have two telephone jacks on the back,
one for each line. Normally, you can receive telephone calls on these
lines. (Unless European phone lines work very differently from American
ones. Just plug in a phone. Call yourself from another line. See if it rings.)

Outgoing telephone calls on these lines depend on how your ISP set them
up. Some ISPs set up these lines as extensions on their centrex systems.
They disallow outgoing calls on these lines, because they don't want to
end up responsible for the cost of toll calls. Others set them up
differently, so if you make toll calls on them, you get the bill.

It's easy to find out. Plug a telephone into one of the two telephone
jacks I mentioned previously. Probably you'll get a dial tone. Try
making a local call. If it doesn't work, chances are, outgoing calls are
disallowed by your ISP. If the local call works, try making a long
distance call.

I don't know all the details, but I think in most cases if you pay for
ISDN use by the minute, you can probably make outgoing calls on your
ISDN lines. If you pay a flat rate (as I do, up to 200 hours per month
for $80) you probably can't.

Hope this helps. Thanks to others on this newgroup for cluing me about
some of these details in previous weeks.

Tim Miller

> Is it possible for a ISDN device to call an analogue device (like a stardand
> telephone in Italy)?

> Is it possible for a ISDN device receive a call from an analogue one?

> Any help would be very apreciated.

> Thanking

> --
> Verona Software S.r.l
> Centro Direzionale Corte Pancaldo, 70
> 37138 - Verona

> WebSite: www.vrsoft.it

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by Robert Berntse » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:24:31

Tim,
Your info below is very misleading.
You are mixing facts and misunderstandings. See below.

>I'm afraid the other two replies have been less than informative.
>If you mean web-to-telephone calls, there shouldn't be a problem, if you
>are familiar with the procedure.

>If you mean telephone-to-telephone calls... 128 kbaud ISDN devices
>require two telephone lines, both of which have distinct telephone
>numbers.

A telephone call never uses both B-channels.
A B-channel is not connected to a distinct phone number. Rather, the ISDN
(BRI) line has one or more numbers (typ. 1-10) assigned to it.

Quote:>Normally, the router will have two telephone jacks on the back,
>one for each line.

He is not talking about a router at all, so we do not know if he has a
router. Perhaps he is not using his ISDN for Internet connection at all.

Quote:>Normally, you can receive telephone calls on these
>lines. (Unless European phone lines work very differently from American
>ones. Just plug in a phone. Call yourself from another line. See if it
rings.)

>Outgoing telephone calls on these lines depend on how your ISP set them
>up. Some ISPs set up these lines as extensions on their centrex systems.

Normally your ISP has nothing to do with the phone sevice on the ISDN.

Quote:>They disallow outgoing calls on these lines, because they don't want to
>end up responsible for the cost of toll calls. Others set them up
>differently, so if you make toll calls on them, you get the bill.

He is not talking about Voice over IP.

Quote:

>It's easy to find out. Plug a telephone into one of the two telephone
>jacks I mentioned previously. Probably you'll get a dial tone. Try
>making a local call. If it doesn't work, chances are, outgoing calls are
>disallowed by your ISP. If the local call works, try making a long
>distance call.

And again, the ISP has nothing to do with this.

Quote:

>I don't know all the details, but I think in most cases if you pay for
>ISDN use by the minute, you can probably make outgoing calls on your
>ISDN lines. If you pay a flat rate (as I do, up to 200 hours per month
>for $80) you probably can't.

Most of what you have said here, does not apply in Italy, because they tend
not to limit the services available to his ISDN line like they do in the US.
Otherwise ISDN in US and Europe is similar (except for the delivery of only
U interface in the US).

>Tim Miller

>> Is it possible for a ISDN device to call an analogue device (like a
stardand
>> telephone in Italy)?

>> Is it possible for a ISDN device receive a call from an analogue one?

>> Any help would be very apreciated.

>> Thanking
>> Verona Software S.r.l

If you (Verona Software) have a problem of calling from/to ISDN from some
other line, the cause could be the allowed services on one of the ends. On
ISDN you ask for a certain service when you make a call. These can typically
be "speach", "audio 3.4 kHz", "restricted digital", "unrestricted digital".
For a telephone call it will be one of the two first. It should be speach,
then it is allowed to be transcoded for long distance, but if your system
for some reason ask for audio and the other end does not allow this, the
call may be disallowed. Check the service for both ends.

I would expect this not to be a problem within Europe. The intention is to
be able to make calls between all types of telephone networks, analogue,
ISDN, cell-phone, etc. If there is a problem, almost always the reason is
the signaling and/or some limitation in the available service on one of the
ends.

Happy new year to everybody,  RB

Post by Loren Amelan » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:18:53

> Tim,
> Your info below is very misleading.
> You are mixing facts and misunderstandings. See below.
> A B-channel is not connected to a distinct phone number. Rather, the ISDN
> (BRI) line has one or more numbers (typ. 1-10) assigned to it.

True, as far as the telco goes. But Tim has a Netgear router,
which does lock phone numbers to B channels so I see why he
believes this. If it dials out on one B channel, and the number
_it_ associates with that B channel rings, it can't answer the
call (some routers could use the other B channel to answer it).

Quote:> >Outgoing telephone calls on these lines depend on how your ISP set them
> >up. Some ISPs set up these lines as extensions on their centrex systems.

> Normally your ISP has nothing to do with the phone sevice on the ISDN.

Unless you are part of your ISP's Centrex! In places like
California, where all ISDN is measured by the minute and the DOV
trick isn't useful, many people use Centrex ISDN to avoid telco
minute charges. The ISP deals with the telco and gets their bill,
and usually prevents you from calling anyone else, as Tim says.
(Granted, the original poster appears not to be in California...
)

Loren

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by Tim Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 04:16:46

Sorry about all the confusion. Loren may have cleared up some of it. And
I did admit I am not an expert.

Tim Miller

> > Tim,
> > Your info below is very misleading.
> > You are mixing facts and misunderstandings. See below.
> > A B-channel is not connected to a distinct phone number. Rather, the ISDN
> > (BRI) line has one or more numbers (typ. 1-10) assigned to it.

> True, as far as the telco goes. But Tim has a Netgear router,
> which does lock phone numbers to B channels so I see why he
> believes this. If it dials out on one B channel, and the number
> _it_ associates with that B channel rings, it can't answer the
> call (some routers could use the other B channel to answer it).

> > >Outgoing telephone calls on these lines depend on how your ISP set them
> > >up. Some ISPs set up these lines as extensions on their centrex systems.

> > Normally your ISP has nothing to do with the phone sevice on the ISDN.

> Unless you are part of your ISP's Centrex! In places like
> California, where all ISDN is measured by the minute and the DOV
> trick isn't useful, many people use Centrex ISDN to avoid telco
> minute charges. The ISP deals with the telco and gets their bill,
> and usually prevents you from calling anyone else, as Tim says.
> (Granted, the original poster appears not to be in California...
> )

> Loren

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by David Lesh » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:10:00

ISDN calls come in several flavors, called bearer type.

There are clear {i.e. unmolested by echo canceling, etc} data calls
of 64k & 56Kb/s.

""Voice"" calls are generally made with "3.1 khz" even though there
is a seldom used "speech" type.

There should be no issue in calling a POTS line when using 3.1, or
a POTS line calling you. In theory, data bearer calls to POTS lines
are blocked, but someone forgot tell NorTel.

"Should be" is of course no guarantee the LEC's can't*it up.
Internationally, there are more variables.

Note Centrex has nothing to do with the above; a Centrex system can
be set to block or not-block any combination of bearer-type,
destination, direction, & phase of the moon.

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by MouseDa » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:23:22

and don't forget about calls that end on a pbx also - many problems occur
when trying to place a 3.1k audio call to a pbx not ready to receive it (not
even the telco's fault - it all in the pbx settings).  and sometimes
problems occur with 3.1k and a cellular carrier - same basic issue.

> ISDN calls come in several flavors, called bearer type.

> There are clear {i.e. unmolested by echo canceling, etc} data calls
> of 64k & 56Kb/s.

> ""Voice"" calls are generally made with "3.1 khz" even though there
> is a seldom used "speech" type.

> There should be no issue in calling a POTS line when using 3.1, or
> a POTS line calling you. In theory, data bearer calls to POTS lines
> are blocked, but someone forgot tell NorTel.

> "Should be" is of course no guarantee the LEC's can't*it up.
> Internationally, there are more variables.

> Note Centrex has nothing to do with the above; a Centrex system can
> be set to block or not-block any combination of bearer-type,
> destination, direction, & phase of the moon.

> --

> & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
> Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
> is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

ABOUT CALLS BETWEEN ISDN AND ANALOGUE DEVICES

Post by Robert Berntse » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 02:27:17

We have not heard from Verona Software, so hopefully they have find out of
their problem.

>> A B-channel is not connected to a distinct phone number. Rather, the ISDN
>> (BRI) line has one or more numbers (typ. 1-10) assigned to it.

>True, as far as the telco goes. But Tim has a Netgear router,
>which does lock phone numbers to B channels so I see why he
>believes this. If it dials out on one B channel, and the number
>_it_ associates with that B channel rings, it can't answer the
>call (some routers could use the other B channel to answer it).

I can not disprove this statement, but I find it unlikely that Netgear is
locking a certain channel to a number. If they do so, this router is not
ISDN complient. And still, you can connect another terminal to the BRI and
receive a call to that number, even if called to previously and already
connected. (Yes, I know of U-interface, but generally speaking ...).

Quote:>Unless you are part of your ISP's Centrex! In places like
>California, where all ISDN is measured by the minute and the DOV
>trick isn't useful, many people use Centrex ISDN to avoid telco
>minute charges. The ISP deals with the telco and gets their bill,
>and usually prevents you from calling anyone else, as Tim says.
>(Granted, the original poster appears not to be in California...

Any telephone line can be blocked for certain services, by programming the
PBX (Centrex or not).

1. REQUEST: looking for device to multiplex 23 analog calls onto PRI

I have a PC with 24 modems attached.  I'd like to dial all 24 modems and
have those analog calls multiplexed through some device that takes the
analog calls on one side and spits out a PRI connection on the other.

That PRI would then connect to a switch that would route the calls
appropriately.

I have a device that does this just fine for analog to T1.

I need a similar device for analog to PRI.

Does anyone know of such a device?

--glen

2. common queue?

3. Data transmission to device with analog line (through voice call)

4. Updated Nov9 Apple2 Items forsale! All prices include shipping!

5. ISDN to Analog Devices

6. Refreshing document

7. Is it possible to use ISDN devices to provide 56K analog dial-up connections?

8. Fail To Access OWA If Via Proxy

9. problems w/ analog devices on USR ISDN TA

10. ISDN and Analog Devices

11. 2 analog devices connected to isdn modem

12. Analog devices & ISDN