Motorola Bitsurfer vs Bitsurfer PRO

Post by Scott Ehrli » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I've seen the Bitsurfer advertised about $100 less than the Pro.

What's the different between them?

Thanks.

--
Scott Ehrlich                    Web: http://www.ehrlichtronics.com

Amateur Radio Callsign: wy1z

Post by Paul Grabows » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I've seen the Bitsurfer advertised about $100 less than the Pro.

>What's the different between them?

The Bitsurfr is a single B channel 64k with a throughput of 70-75k

The Bitsurfr Pro can bond two B channels at 115k with a throughput
of 90-100k.

As you can see the 15k diff isn't worth it, if you pay for time
charges.

Paul G

Post by Bill Coffel » Mon, 22 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >I've seen the Bitsurfer advertised about $100 less than the Pro.

> >What's the different between them?

> The Bitsurfr is a single B channel 64k with a throughput of 70-75k

> The Bitsurfr Pro can bond two B channels at 115k with a throughput
> of 90-100k.

> As you can see the 15k diff isn't worth it, if you pay for time
> charges.

> Paul GI think the differences between the BitSURFR Pro and BitSURFR are a

little more complex.
1. At 1 B-channel PPP, 64k, I will download a file at about 7kbs. At 2-B
Channel MP, 64k, I will download the same file at 10.3-11kbs. I think
that is a significant difference.
2. The BS Pro has two analog POTS ports vice one on the BitSURFR. This
means I can connect one to the internal 14.4k modem on my computer and
the other to my regular phones.
3. I'm not sure about the BitSURFR, but the BitSURFR Pro has a flash rom
for downloading updates (Rev 1C,1D,and 1EPT in just the last two
months). It seems I read about people having to send their BitSURFR back
to get a rom chip installed.

When I was first shopping for ISDN, I almost bought a BitSURFR at
CompUSA for $299. Shortly after, I saw the BS Pro advertised for $319 on
NECX Direct. Even though it took three weeks to get, it was worth the
wait. I know I would have been frustrated if I had reacted to my first
impulse and bought the BitSURFR. On the other hand, I would not have
gone through all the hassle of trying to get MP to work.

The bottom line is that either is a vast improvement over a 14.4k or
28.8k modem, particularly for surfing the WWW.

Bill Coffelt

Post by Kenneth D. Do » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.isdn
> Subject: Re: [HELP] Motorola Bitsurfer vs Bitsurfer PRO
> Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 10:05:18 -0800

> com>

> > >I've seen the Bitsurfer advertised about $100 less than the Pro.

> > >What's the different between them?

> > The Bitsurfr is a single B channel 64k with a throughput of 70-75k

> > The Bitsurfr Pro can bond two B channels at 115k with a throughput
> > of 90-100k.

> > As you can see the 15k diff isn't worth it, if you pay for time
> > charges.

> > Paul GI think the differences between the BitSURFR Pro and BitSURFR are a
> little more complex.
> 1. At 1 B-channel PPP, 64k, I will download a file at about 7kbs. At 2-B
> Channel MP, 64k, I will download the same file at 10.3-11kbs. I think
> that is a significant difference.
> 2. The BS Pro has two analog POTS ports vice one on the BitSURFR. This
> means I can connect one to the internal 14.4k modem on my computer and
> the other to my regular phones.
> 3. I'm not sure about the BitSURFR, but the BitSURFR Pro has a flash rom
> for downloading updates (Rev 1C,1D,and 1EPT in just the last two
> months). It seems I read about people having to send their BitSURFR back
> to get a rom chip installed.

> When I was first shopping for ISDN, I almost bought a BitSURFR at
> CompUSA for $299. Shortly after, I saw the BS Pro advertised for $319 on
> NECX Direct. Even though it took three weeks to get, it was worth the
> wait. I know I would have been frustrated if I had reacted to my first
> impulse and bought the BitSURFR. On the other hand, I would not have
> gone through all the hassle of trying to get MP to work.

> The bottom line is that either is a vast improvement over a 14.4k or
> 28.8k modem, particularly for surfing the WWW.

> Bill Coffelt

       Hi there, Bill.  I'm considering going to ISDN.  I have a few questions
  if you don't mind.  I'm presently running a Hayes Optima 288 external modem.
  When I get an ISDN line can I just hook the Hayes in to say the Bitsurfer Pro
  and have access to Compuserve, AOL, BBS's, etc. on the ISDN line?  Once I get
  the ISDN line and say the Bitsurfer Pro do I just plug it into my old modular
  jack?  I presently have two lines with, of course, two different phone
  numbers. Should I just cancel one of the lines when I go to ISDN? I'm
  assumming that I just hook my telephone into the Bitsurfer Pro also. Is that
  correct?  Thanks in advance for all your help.

  >Ken

Motorola Bitsurfer vs Bitsurfer PRO

Post by Motorol » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

The diffferences between the BS, and the BSP are, The BS has only one
POTS port, while the BSP has two, the BSP supports MLPPP, as well as
bonding, for speeds up to 128k. The BSP is also flash upgradeable,
wheras the BS is not. Hope this helps a bit, you can also find a
matrix of the feature differences on Motorola's web page. The address
for that is WWW.mot.com/mims/isg.

Barry Johnson
Motorola

Post by Adam B. Meltz » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

$$ 3. I'm not sure about the BitSURFR, but the BitSURFR Pro has a flash rom
$$ for downloading updates (Rev 1C,1D,and 1EPT in just the last two
$$ months). It seems I read about people having to send their BitSURFR back
$$ to get a rom chip installed.

The BSPro has flash roms, the BS isn't user upgradable - you have to mail it
back to the factory.

--
 ___
 ))_) ___  _  _  __  ___  ___  __

Post by Tombsto » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: > Paul GI think the differences between the BitSURFR Pro and BitSURFR are a
: little more complex.

<SNIP>

All that stuff he said, plus the BSP forwards Caller ID to the analog
lines. The Bitsurfer does not. Meaning you can use your own caller ID box
with it.

: Bill Coffelt

Post by Bill Coffel » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>        Hi there, Bill.  I'm considering going to ISDN.  I have a few questions
>   if you don't mind.  I'm presently running a Hayes Optima 288 external modem.
>   When I get an ISDN line can I just hook the Hayes in to say the Bitsurfer Pro
>   and have access to Compuserve, AOL, BBS's, etc. on the ISDN line?  Once I get
>   the ISDN line and say the Bitsurfer Pro do I just plug it into my old modular
>   jack?  I presently have two lines with, of course, two different phone
>   numbers. Should I just cancel one of the lines when I go to ISDN? I'm
>   assumming that I just hook my telephone into the Bitsurfer Pro also. Is that
>   correct?  Thanks in advance for all your help.

>   >Ken

>Ken, Well, you asked the right person the right questions.1. I subscribe to Compuserve and MSN. I connect to both via ISDN through my local Interrnet

provider vice through modem. Much quicker and it is a local toll free phone number.
2. The BS Pro comes with a cable that has a RJ11 connector on one end and a RJ25 connector on the
other. This is what I did. A. I disconnected the house wiring at the incoming telephone box. B. I
ran a new telephone line from the outside telephone box to a new jack box near my computer. C. I
connected the provided cable from the BS Pro to the new outlet box. I connected one POTS port on
the BS Pro to an existing telephone outlet jack. I bought 2 cordless phones (one for my bedroom
and one for my son). I have a two line cordless phone and an answering machine next to my
computer. (I bought cordless vice corded, because the REN tends to be lower.) Total REN is 1.0.
The max REN for the BS Pro cannot exceed 2.0.
3. I have an internal 14.4k modem connected from POTS port 2. I use the 14.4k modem for banking
and other services that don't support ISDN.
4. I kept one analog line for the following reasons:
a. ISDN requires power. I have my computer and BS Pro on a UPS. If we lose power, I shut down the
computer. This will provide power to the BS Pro for about 1 1/2 hours. I then forward all calls
to the analog line.
b. If the BS Pro is broken, you will need an analog line.
c. PacBell charges for ISDN usage during business hours. During the day, I try to make all local
calls on the analog line. Also, I transfer my internal modem to the analog line.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Bill Coffelt

Post by Peter DiCamil » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> The BSPro has flash roms, the BS isn't user upgradable - you have to mail it
> back to the factory.

You can return it for an upgrade, but Motorola will also send you new ROMs
at no charge (by UPS 2nd Day Air!).  They come with instructions, and I
had no trouble replacing them.  However, if you're not comfortable doing
that kind of thing, for instance working with static-sensitive chips,
you'd probably want to return the BitSURFR to the factory and pay the
upgrade fee.

Peter

Post by Kenneth D. Do » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.isdn
> Subject: Re: [HELP] Motorola Bitsurfer vs Bitsurfer PRO
> Date: 22 Jan 1996 06:10:28 GMT

> $$ 3. I'm not sure about the BitSURFR, but the BitSURFR Pro has a flash rom
> $$ for downloading updates (Rev 1C,1D,and 1EPT in just the last two
> $$ months). It seems I read about people having to send their BitSURFR back
> $$ to get a rom chip installed.

> The BSPro has flash roms, the BS isn't user upgradable - you have to mail it
> back to the factory.

> --
>  ___
>  ))_) ___  _  _  __  ___  ___  __
> ((`\ ((_( ((`1( ((_)((_( ((_( (('
>                  ))        _))

        I'm very new to ISDN and considering going that route.  After reading
many of the posting in this newsgroup I have gathered that the MOST popular
ISDN terminal is the Motorola Bitsurfer Pro.  Would most of you agree that's
the one I should purchase?  Thanks much.

Quote:>Ken

Motorola Bitsurfer vs Bitsurfer PRO

Post by Gib Hen » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> The diffferences between the BS, and the BSP are, The BS has only one
> POTS port, while the BSP has two, the BSP supports MLPPP, as well as
> bonding, for speeds up to 128k. The BSP is also flash upgradeable,
> wheras the BS is not. Hope this helps a bit, you can also find a
> matrix of the feature differences on Motorola's web page. The address
> for that is WWW.mot.com/mims/isg.

Just a note (from a BS owner) that your presence here is much
appreciated.  I bought my BS back in August and have been pounding it hard
daily with hardly a flicker.

Basically, after I beat the telco into submission, I just took my hardware
handshaking modem cable, plugged it into the BS, programmed the SPIDs, and
ba-da-BOOM!  I haven't needed any tech support since.

Cheers!
Gib Henry
* 80% of computer literacy consists of typing.
* 80% of data processing consists of sorting.
* Information seeks to be free.

  In human terms, Einstein was wrong:  the universe as we once
  knew it has imploded, and is rapidly becoming a small community.
  We are next-door neighbors, you and I.

Post by Ron Ro » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>PacBell charges for ISDN usage during business hours. During the day, I try
>to make all local
>calls on the analog line. Also, I transfer my internal modem to the analog line.

Unless PacBell's tariff is _very_ different from NYNEX's, this shouldn't be
necessary: the Central Office switch knows whether it is carrying an ISDN
data call or a voice call, and PacBell should be charging for voice calls
(which include analog modem calls) as it would if you had a POTS line.

I'd check it out; you may be putting yourself to a lot of extra trouble for
no reason.

-----

Whenever you accept our views we shall be in full agreement with you.

Moshe Dayan

Post by Ada » Mon, 29 Jan 1996 04:00:00

|         I'm very new to ISDN and considering going that route.  After reading
| many of the posting in this newsgroup I have gathered that the MOST popular
| ISDN terminal is the Motorola Bitsurfer Pro.  Would most of you agree that's
| the one I should purchase?  Thanks much.

The BSP is probably the best lower-end TA. For basic ISDN needs I'd reccomend
it. As far as Motorola tech support goes, once you can get a hold of them they
are great. I guess I'm just unlucky but my BSPro experiences have been
nightmarish, but that aside I'd reccomend the unit. Just be nice to it ;)

--
                                         _

       ftp://ccnet.com/users/rampage | / \ /_, / / / /_/ /_, /_/ /_'
       http://www.dopeman.com        |              /        _/

1. Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

: Can anyone in the know help explain the primary differences between these
: ISDN "modems" and where is the best place (mailorder or online prefferably)
: to purchase one.  I have found the BitSURFER at Insight for $379.

: Any advice?

PC Connection has the BS for $349 but Insight will match their price. I
already talked to them.

chris

2. HELP PLEASE

3. BitSurfer vs. BitSurfer Pro

4. internet name server troubles since installin SE

5. Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

6. "The Other Person Did not allow You to join the meeting"????

7. BitSurfer vs. BitSurfer Pro?

8. Amstrad launch new PDA

9. Can you upgrade a bitsurfer to a bitsurfer pro?

10. Connecting a Motorola BitSurfer Pro to a Cisco 5200

11. motorola bitsurfer pro