Problems with WinGate and FTP proxy

Post by Glenn Fl?te » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have problems to connect to a ftp site from a Macintosh machine, I use
Wingate on a PC for gateway.

I works perfectly with Netscape and WWW adresses.

What have I done wrong or didn't do.

Tanks.

Post by Mark Mischk » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I have problems to connect to a ftp site from a Macintosh machine, I use
> Wingate on a PC for gateway.

> I works perfectly with Netscape and WWW adresses.

> What have I done wrong or didn't do.

> Tanks.

Glenn,

WinGate's FTP proxy requires that login information be sent to it in the

The problem here is that you have to have either an FTP client that
knows how to work with proxies (or can be tricked to) or a command-line
client.  To trick a client (like Fetch) to work with proxies, configure
a session as follows:

Host: <the IP address of your proxy server>

Netscape's FTP is a bit different - it only works (I think) with a proxy
if it's SOCKS compliant.

Hope this helps.

Mark Mischke

1. Program accessing ftp server through a wingate proxy

I have a stock market data program that is supposed to be able to
directly access an ftp site through a modem connection. The vendor of
the program offers no support for operating this process through a
proxy. My cable modem is on another PC using wingate 3.0. The program
just reports that it could not establish a connection to the data
server. Can anyone offer suggestions for getting this to work, or good
sites for further information?

Bob

2. Soligor LT-45 Light Transmission Unit for Flatbed Scanners

3. Which Proxy Server (Wingate, CSM Proxy or Winproxy)

4. Advanced server downgrade

5. Wingate proxy and Java problems

6. case to carry iPAQ, expansion pack, keybord, 802.11 card and charger

7. Help with Wingate proxy/@home problem

8. Memory weirdness

9. ms proxy server 2 vs wingate

10. Help: Proxy & Wingate

11. Use of Wingate Proxy Server with Outlook Express

12. Wingate proxy, cable modem on existing network

13. Configuring WinGate to work with ISP Proxy