I'm missing something (Motorola BSP vs US Robotics 128k)

I'm missing something (Motorola BSP vs US Robotics 128k)

Post by Les Arr » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

I looked in the faq but came up empty.

If I understand what I've read correctly, the limitation of the serial
port restricts the speed to 115k using something like the BSP.

But an add-on card like the sportster 128 can support 128k. So why is
the BSP so popular as opposed to the comparably priced sportster?

Also, someone made a remark about PacBell only supporting a max 112k
connection. True or false?

--Les

Post by Barry A Ba » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

>I looked in the faq but came up empty.

>If I understand what I've read correctly, the limitation of the serial
>port restricts the speed to 115k using something like the BSP.

>But an add-on card like the sportster 128 can support 128k. So why is
>the BSP so popular as opposed to the comparably priced sportster?

>Also, someone made a remark about PacBell only supporting a max 112k
>connection. True or false?

>--Les

Probably because of the price...around $330, and ease of use...it is
no more difficult than setting up a modem.
And, not all addin cards do go to 128k. I believe the biutsurfr
internal only does 115k as well as the external.

                     Home Page: http://sashimi.wwa.com/~barry/
      Tons Of Links Page: http://sashimi.wwa.com/~barry/bookmark.html
        Windows 95 Help: http://sashimi.wwa.com/~barry/wn95slip.html

Post by David Lesh » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

>I looked in the faq but came up empty.
>If I understand what I've read correctly, the limitation of the serial
>port restricts the speed to 115k using something like the BSP.

In general true...

Quote:>But an add-on card like the sportster 128 can support 128k. So why is
>the BSP so popular as opposed to the comparably priced sportster?

a) The Sportster needs DRIVERS. For each OS. I've yet to see
the ones for *my* OS.....

b) The Sportster lacks DOVBS.

c) The Motorboatarola has dual POTS, that work with the PC off.

d) The Bitslurper was there first....

--

& no one will talk to a host that's close...........(v)301 56 LINUX
is busy, hung or dead........vr vr vr vr.................20915-1433

Post by jerry cu » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

>I looked in the faq but came up empty.
>If I understand what I've read correctly, the limitation of the serial
>port restricts the speed to 115k using something like the BSP.

I think the design of the BSPro limits the BSPro to 115k , not the
serial port.

Quote:>But an add-on card like the sportster 128 can support 128k. So why is
>the BSP so popular as opposed to the comparably priced sportster?

In my case it was because,
1. I wouldnt have to leave my pc on all the time to have my ISDN line
   up when I needed it, I could just leave the BSPro on.
2. More people know how to setup the BSPro compared to the USR.
    So help would be more readily available.
3. Motorola's support is better, or at least more responsive than
   USR's.
Quote:>Also, someone made a remark about PacBell only supporting a max 112k

Post by al bridge » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

> >I looked in the faq but came up empty.

> >If I understand what I've read correctly, the limitation of the serial
> >port restricts the speed to 115k using something like the BSP.

> >But an add-on card like the sportster 128 can support 128k. So why is
> >the BSP so popular as opposed to the comparably priced sportster?

> The BSP has been on the market a lot longer.

The BSP has 2 Voice ports, will eventually support 230.4k on the
serial port (Lava Cards already support 460K!) do not require separate
IRQ(s) and the assorted installation hassels of an internal card.  An
external can be shared among DTE equipment (computers).
There is a place for internals (we make one and are near release of
another) and equally a place for externals.  Since 2B's offer ~13kB
worth of bandwidth (this is all any compressed file will get) and
~15-17kB with compression, 230.4kb should suffice for any BRI
connection.
Power Macs & AVs already have this speed capability.

Al Bridges
Motorola ISG - Transmission Products Division
Senior Application Engineer

Post by Bill Shaffe » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

> >I looked in the faq but came up empty.

> >If I understand what I've read correctly, the limitation of the serial
> >port restricts the speed to 115k using something like the BSP.

> >But an add-on card like the sportster 128 can support 128k. So why is
> >the BSP so popular as opposed to the comparably priced sportster?

> >Also, someone made a remark about PacBell only supporting a max 112k
> >connection. True or false?

> >--Les

> Probably because of the price...around $330, and ease of use...it is
> no more difficult than setting up a modem.
> And, not all addin cards do go to 128k. I believe the biutsurfr
> internal only does 115k as well as the external.

>                      Home Page: http://sashimi.wwa.com/~barry/
>       Tons Of Links Page: http://sashimi.wwa.com/~barry/bookmark.html
>         Windows 95 Help: http://sashimi.wwa.com/~barry/wn95slip.html

Another advantage I like about the Motorola BSP is that you can unplug
thr RS232 cable from the back of the computer and both of the phone
lines still work, used in a configuration without POTS this is an
important consideration and also I plugged the BSP wall wart into my
UPS and I have power failure protection.
Regards,
bill

Post by Fred R. Goldste » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

>If I understand what I've read correctly, the limitation of the serial
>port restricts the speed to 115k using something like the BSP.

True with the BSP; some costlier TAs may have faster ports.

Quote:>But an add-on card like the sportster 128 can support 128k. So why is
>the BSP so popular as opposed to the comparably priced sportster?

The Sportster a) requires drivers, which only work in Mickeysoft Windoze
operating systems, while the BSP uses standard serial ports so it works with
OS/2, Linux, BSD, NT, NextStep, MacOS, PCDOS, and anything else that can runa
COM port.  Including Mickeysoft Windoze.  And b) the BSP includes (almost:-) )
real POTS ports, so you can plug in a fone, and it'll ring even when the
computer's down or not running 'doze.  and c) the BSP does data-over-voice,
while the Sportster doesn't (unless it's a recent addition), so you wouldn't
want to touch one in some telcos' territories where data bearers are wicked
expensive.  Plus d) the Sportster requires the usual IRQ/IO address stuff,
which can be tricky in a PeeCee, plus it needs a free ISA slot.

Quote:>Also, someone made a remark about PacBell only supporting a max 112k
>connection. True or false?

False.  They've pretty much upgraded to 64k, but you have to dial an 11-digit
number, even for local calls, to use it (local rates apply if it's local).

--

BBN Corp., Cambridge MA  USA         +1 617 873 3850
Opinions are mine alone; sharing requires permission.

1. USR 128K ISDN vs Motorola BSP

Has any one used either of these devices to connect to an Ascend
Pipeline 50 in a Win95 environment?  I am interested in remote
networking from one Win95 PC to a small office network (6 PCs) of Win95
PCs networked using Microsoft networking, and also connecting to my ISP
who uses Ascend products.  I am thinking using the Pipeline 50 at the
office and would prefer to find something less expensive then the
Pipeline 25 for several home locations.  Any comments on experience
using either of these products with the Pipeline 50 will be appreciated.
Suggestions for alternatives will also be appreciated.

2. Needed: A Good Menu Program...

3. ???Supra Net Commander vs. US Robotics 128k???

4. Info on DMP's "Security Command" Executive Series?

5. 128K Between Win95 BSP and NT3.51 BSP (via RAS) Possible?

6. Emulator

7. I'm missing something here - HELP

8. SIMULINK/MATLAB and optical communication systems

9. Sportster won't work - did I miss something in the install?

10. Granitecanyon -- NS1 is down or I'm missing something... pls respond

11. US Robotics Sportster 128K - CAPI supported?

12. US Robotics Sportster ISDN 128k TA

13. US Robotics 128K Sportster only connecting on 1 channel