3Com or Ascend or Bitsurfer Pro

Post by Jeff Gr » Fri, 24 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Greetings from Palo Alto:

Blessed with a choice of Centrex suppliers at reasonable rates, but with
conflicting advice.

One is recommending an Ascend router, another insists on a 3Com solution
and a third is offering a great deal on a BitSurfer pro.

Cost is not my primary concern here.

I have a Mac 7100/66, and several analog suppliers.  I would like to set
up ISDN and then, when working smoothly phase out some of the others.

The simplest solution is to have a terminal device which goes into my
ethernet port ( my mac is at home, and not networked ).  However, if the
BitSurfer Pro solution will be simple and provide good functionality, then
I hate to waste the money.

Thanks, in advance,
Jeff

3Com or Ascend or Bitsurfer Pro

Post by Mike Kou » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

writes:
:>
:>Greetings from Palo Alto:

[snip]

:>One is recommending an Ascend router, another insists on a 3Com solution
:>and a third is offering a great deal on a BitSurfer pro.

[snip]

:>I have a Mac 7100/66, and several analog suppliers.  I would like to set
:>up ISDN and then, when working smoothly phase out some of the others.
:>
:>The simplest solution is to have a terminal device which goes into my
:>ethernet port ( my mac is at home, and not networked ).  However, if the
:>BitSurfer Pro solution will be simple and provide good functionality, then
:>I hate to waste the money.

If you want to plug the ISDN TA into your ethernet port, then I would suggest
you focus your attention on the 3Com Arpeggio Lite or the Ascend solution.
Both of these are bridge/routers that attach to your Mac via ethernet.

I don't have any direct personal experience with them, but I've heard from
several friends that the BitSurfr Pro, while it works fine for them, was not
nearly as simple to configure on a Mac as on a PC. They mentioned having to
use a terminal program to configure many parameters. The Impact can be
configured completely usng the supplied Macintosh utility.

Post by sterl.. » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Greetings from Palo Alto:

> Blessed with a choice of Centrex suppliers at reasonable rates, but with
> conflicting advice.

> One is recommending an Ascend router, another insists on a 3Com solution
> and a third is offering a great deal on a BitSurfer pro.

> Cost is not my primary concern here.

> I have a Mac 7100/66, and several analog suppliers.  I would like to set
> up ISDN and then, when working smoothly phase out some of the others.

> The simplest solution is to have a terminal device which goes into my
> ethernet port ( my mac is at home, and not networked ).  However, if the
> BitSurfer Pro solution will be simple and provide good functionality, then
> I hate to waste the money.

> Thanks, in advance,
> Jeff

I'm not entirely certain what your looking for, but I've installed a ZyXEL
2864i terminal adapter with my PowerMac 7500/100.  It's working great so
far, although (huge caveat here) I've not yet tested an ISDN to ISDN
connection.  The reason I went with the ZyXEL 2864i is because it has
integrated v.34 modem/fax capabilities and that is what I've been using
with my current provider who doesn't offer ISDN.  I got it less that a
week ago and haven't set up my ISDN Internet account yet (Here in the Bay
Area, I'm using Direct Network Access, Inc. ($40/mo. 1 B-channel, $50/mo.
2 B-channels, $100 setup)
--Sorry, that looked like an ad, but I didn't want to spur a discussion of
who I'm using. :)
Anyway, it took me about an hour to set up, but that only because I had
lost the SPID information that was given to me when my line was installed
2 months ago, so it took me awhile to figure that out.

ZyXEL, (http://www.zyxel.com/) (1-800-255-4101) offers the 2864i in two
flavors.  One has an integrated U interface, the other an S/T, thus
requiring an NT-1.  I had originally ordered the version with the U
interface, but it's release date kept getting pushed back (last I heard it
was late Dec. 95), so I broke down and bought the S/T interface model.  To
help make up for the added cost of an NT-1, ZyXEL is offering Tone
Commander's single port NT-1 for $135.00, which I had to order direct from
ZyXEL.  I was able to order the 2864i through my dealer
(ComputerWare--Mike Skoles 408-328-1045) at a significant discount from
retail ($699).  The U interface model retails at $749.

Hope this helped, and didn't sound too much like an ad.  I've been working
in the advertising business for 2 years now. :)

3Com or Ascend or Bitsurfer Pro

Post by Jeff Gr » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Not, did not sound like an ad at all, just a well crafted reply.
Thanks for the info.  I will check with Media City, my most likely ISDN
supplier to see if they can use the Zytel set up easily.

Media City is offering, or will be soon, Centrex ISDN, $25 for 35 hours of
one channel.  I really like the idea of centrex service except that one
cannot make outgoing calls on it as the line belongs to the provider.

chuss,jeff
NetBox Inc.

Don't Use E-Mail Without One

--  --    | ---         |Jeff Gray
| \ || _ -+-||o)  _     |NetBox (tm)

|| \ |\_  | || )/\_//\\ |

http://www.NetBox.com

Tel: 1-800-9NetBox       Fax:  415-324-0998

Quote:

Post by Teh Che » Mon, 25 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Greetings from Palo Alto:

: Blessed with a choice of Centrex suppliers at reasonable rates, but with
: conflicting advice.

: One is recommending an Ascend router, another insists on a 3Com solution
: and a third is offering a great deal on a BitSurfer pro.

: Cost is not my primary concern here.

: I have a Mac 7100/66, and several analog suppliers.  I would like to set
: up ISDN and then, when working smoothly phase out some of the others.

: The simplest solution is to have a terminal device which goes into my
: ethernet port ( my mac is at home, and not networked ).  However, if the
: BitSurfer Pro solution will be simple and provide good functionality, then
: I hate to waste the money.

: Thanks, in advance,
: Jeff

well, a couple of weeks ago i would given a hearty recommendations for
the ascend products.  _but_ we've started encountering random reboots
of our ascend boxes (we have pipeline 50's at user home & a 400 at work).

so far tech support has been abysmal.  i.e.  *NONE*.  they don't call
back or respond to email.  this situation has been going on for about 2
weeks.  i don't know if it being near christmas has anything to do with
it, but we've not even gotten acknowledgements that our trouble ticket
is pending.

so, for now, my advice would be if you need any support for your isdn
products, don't buy ascend.  if there's anyone from ascend reading
this group: "WHAT'S THE DEAL!?!"

-t

Teh Cheng                        ||  Corporate zombie/System Manager

voice: (713)439-6448             ||  employer'd say, but saying that would
fax: (713)599-7677               ||  would prolly make them say "Yer fired!"

1. Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

: Can anyone in the know help explain the primary differences between these
: ISDN "modems" and where is the best place (mailorder or online prefferably)
: to purchase one.  I have found the BitSURFER at Insight for $379.

: Any advice?

PC Connection has the BS for $349 but Insight will match their price. I
already talked to them.

chris

2. Verixontal Marks End of 'Name That Domain' Contest

3. Bitsurfer Pro, Ascend and Solaris

4. Sportster Flash - X2 or not?

5. Motorla Bitsurfer Pro or Adtran XRT TA's & Ascend Routers

6. Connecting to an ISP from a home BRI ISDN

7. does the motorola bitsurfer pro and linux work with ascend routers

8. Best way to resize/position a user control at run-time?

9. BitSurfer Pro to Ascend??

10. Motorola BitSurfer PRO-$330, Ascend Pipeline 25-$620

11. Win95/BitSURFER Pro->Ascend MAX 4000 Problems.

12. FS: 3COM OCLM & Motorola Bitsurfer Pro

13. BitSurfer Pro vs 3COM?