Centrex vs. standard ISDN?

Post by Matt Marshal » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

We are evaluating routed ISDN using Network Address Translation to connect
to the Internet via a BRI connection.  We have the option of bringing in
ISDN with either a standard or a Centrex connection.  What is the difference
between these two connection methods?

Matt Marshall

Centrex vs. standard ISDN?

Post by John Thoma » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The main advantage with Centrex is that the numbers are on the same
network, like a PBX, and that you typically don't pay any per-minute
charges.

John Thomas
System VII

> We are evaluating routed ISDN using Network Address Translation to connect
> to the Internet via a BRI connection.  We have the option of bringing in
> ISDN with either a standard or a Centrex connection.  What is the difference
> between these two connection methods?

> Matt Marshall

Centrex vs. standard ISDN?

Post by David Lesh » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>We are evaluating routed ISDN using Network Address Translation to connect
>to the Internet via a BRI connection.  We have the option of bringing in
>ISDN with either a standard or a Centrex connection.  What is the difference
>between these two connection methods?

Nothing from a technical perspective.

Centrex is a billing option. Calls to another line in your Centrex
group are "free"...

Now, if your Centrex group includes phones outside your building,
you pay a great deal per month for those Off Premises Extensions.

It may well make bottom line sense; it may not. Add it up.