3Com Impact IQ R3.10 recalled???

Post by William Robert Willia » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I just got off the phone with PacBell's ISDN service line.  I was
told that they are having lots of people call with problems using
the Impact IQ firmware 3.11.  I corrected the operator by suggesting
that 3.10 was the latest.  She said 3.11 was the latest and everyone
is having problems with it so 3Com is recalling it.

I haven't seen any word about it on 3Com's site and I can't find 3.00
so I won't be able to back down a release anyways.  Is anyone having
problems with 3.10?  Has anyone used any of the new call waiting, or
call transfer features?  I've requested my line reprovisioned for ACO
so that I can use call waiting, but it is going to take until the 15th
for them to make the changes for some reason.

I have a few other things I'm wondering about:

1) Is anyone having problems with 3.10?

2) Is there a way to turn on D-Packet monitoring without using the
Windows Diag tool?  Can I just run it from a terminal?

3) What are S77 S78 and S79 supposed to be for?  The release notes
don't have much information other than the defalut.

4) Is there anyway to know what features my line is provisioned for without
calling the phone company?  Is there a way to send a query to the switch?

Thanks for any help,
Regards,
-Rob

Synopsys Inc.                          Phone: (415) 528-4888

Post by dwbrewe » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

->I just got off the phone with PacBell's ISDN service line.  I was
->told that they are having lots of people call with problems using
->the Impact IQ firmware 3.11.  I corrected the operator by suggesting
->that 3.10 was the latest.  She said 3.11 was the latest and everyone
->is having problems with it so 3Com is recalling it.
->
[...]
->--
->--------------------------------------------------------------------

->Synopsys Inc.                          Phone: (415) 528-4888

3.10 is the latest that I know of (I have been receiving the betas
from 3COM and have not seen 3.11 if it exists).  I am having problems
with call routing and the Call Conferencing features.  The call
routing problem: With s63 set to 15 (line 1 to port 1 or 2, line 2 to
port 1 or 2) If I dial the second phone number I get a busy signal if
I have a data call on the first line.  If I call the first number, it
rings through to the second port.  The Call Conferencing problem:
Cannot use it on first channel, have to have a voice or data call on
first channel, then I can use Call Conferencing on the second channel.
I have sent the person I have been dealing with at 3COM several
E-Mails, but no reply.  I do have the 3.0 and all the beta firmware
releases if you need me to E-mail one to you let me know.  The s77,
s78 and s79 switches are the values required by the Telephone company
to use the Advanced Call Features.  They need to match the Telephone
companies values.  Ask your Telephone company for these values to see
if they match.

3Com Impact IQ R3.10 recalled???

Post by Dan Brenn » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I just got off the phone with PacBell's ISDN service line.  I was
>told that they are having lots of people call with problems using
>the Impact IQ firmware 3.11.  I corrected the operator by suggesting
>that 3.10 was the latest.  She said 3.11 was the latest and everyone
>is having problems with it so 3Com is recalling it.

The latest and only relese from 3Com for the 3ComImapct IQ is 3.10!
There is no released version called 3.11. We have not heard of any problem
reports from PacBell or any other RBOC or customer regarding 3.10. Can you
provide me with the PacBell number you called to get this info?

Quote:

>I haven't seen any word about it on 3Com's site and I can't find 3.00
>so I won't be able to back down a release anyways.  Is anyone having
>problems with 3.10?  Has anyone used any of the new call waiting, or
>call transfer features?  I've requested my line reprovisioned for ACO
>so that I can use call waiting, but it is going to take until the 15th
>for them to make the changes for some reason.

3.10 is the release you must use for ACO and other supplementary services.

Quote:

>I have a few other things I'm wondering about:

>1) Is anyone having problems with 3.10?

We have heard of no problems. I would like to know too if anyone is though.

Quote:

>2) Is there a way to turn on D-Packet monitoring without using the
>Windows Diag tool?  Can I just run it from a terminal?

There is another way using a terminal. The output is neither raw nor decoded
Q.931. Call progress messages are displayed in ASCII text. However this mode
it is not recommended since is intrusive to the data flow and non-terminal
apps (e.g., DUN) will *on the additional info. But if you want to know
how to do it send me an email and I'll provide the command sequence to
activate this mode.

Quote:

>3) What are S77 S78 and S79 supposed to be for?  The release notes
>don't have much information other than the defalut.

Supplementary features such as Call Conferencing (3-way calling), Call
Transfer, and Call Drop require "button" settings (as if on a voice
terminal). These buttons have certain values associated with them that must
match the telco's provisioning. S77 stores the "Conference Button" value, S78
is the "Transfer Button" value, and S79 is the "Drop" button value. Normally
the IQ's default values will work. That is the IQ's values match the CO's
values. However, some telco's decide to configure these "buttons"
differently. Initially, we (3Com) were told that PacBell is configuring the
Conference, Transfer, and Drop buttons to 6, 7, and 8, respectively. Since
then however, PacBell has told us they will use the same values as the IQ's
default settings (60, 61, and 62), so these registers should not have to be
changed.

By the way, there is a .PDF file included with 3.10 that discusses these
registers.

Quote:

>4) Is there anyway to know what features my line is provisioned for without
>calling the phone company?  Is there a way to send a query to the switch?

Not now.

>Thanks for any help,
>Regards,
>-Rob

>--

>Synopsys Inc.                          Phone: (415) 528-4888

Dan Brennan
3Com

3Com Impact IQ R3.10 recalled???

Post by Dan Brenn » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>3.10 is the latest that I know of (I have been receiving the betas
>from 3COM and have not seen 3.11 if it exists).  I am having problems
>with call routing and the Call Conferencing features.  The call
>routing problem: With s63 set to 15 (line 1 to port 1 or 2, line 2 to
>port 1 or 2) If I dial the second phone number I get a busy signal if
>I have a data call on the first line.

This problem is related to line provisioning. Internally when the IQ sets up
a data call the second telephone number is used. There is a parameter called
MAXBCHL on a 5E switch. Depending on your line provisioning this paramater
may be set to 1 or 2. If it is set to 1, then that means the second telphone
number can only handle 1 active call at a time. If it is set to two then the
second telephone number can handle two simultaneous active calls, obviously
on two separate B-channels. This is NOT Additional Call Offering (ACO). For
ACO, one call must be HELD. It appears your line is provisioned such that the
second telephone number can only handle 1 active call at a time.

Release 3.10 includes a 3.0 PDF file called "Ordering ISDN Service for the
3ComImpact IQ External ISDN Modem". In it, we recommend
provisioning/re-provisioning your line with Capability Package S1. Then
specify which supplementary voice features you want enabled on your line.
Please refer to this document.

Quote:>If I call the first number, it
>rings through to the second port.

Does the first phone port ring too? With s63 set to 15 all incoming speech
calls alert both phones. We have found that setting s63 to 9 (default) is
more logical to most users (phone number 1 is exclusive to phone port 1;
phone number 2 is exclusive to phone port 2).

Quote:> The Call Conferencing problem:
>Cannot use it on first channel, have to have a voice or data call on
>first channel, then I can use Call Conferencing on the second channel.

First we have to use the same terminology. The B-channels have nothing to do
with how the call routing or voice features work. The operation of these
features depend on the telephone numbers (DNs) being used and the
provisioning of each number. I suspect you don't have the supplementary voice
services configured on your second telephone number.

An outgoing data call ALWAYS tries to use the second DN if it is not in use.
With S63 set to 15 incoming calls are routed as described above. Outgoing
calls work slightly differently. Calls initiated from Phone 1 will try to use
the first phone number first; calls from Phone 2 will try phone number 2
first. If the first tried number is not available (ie, busy) then it will
roll over to the other number (number 2 for phone port 1, number 1 for phone
port 2). [Hope this isn't too confusing, but I think it helps explain the IQ
operation.]

Now back to your problem. I need to know a little more info. Are you trying
Conferencing using the second phone port or the first? What if you don't have
a data call up - does the first phone port do conferencing?

Quote:>I have sent the person I have been dealing with at 3COM several
>E-Mails, but no reply.  I do have the 3.0 and all the beta firmware
>releases if you need me to E-mail one to you let me know.  The s77,
>s78 and s79 switches are the values required by the Telephone company
>to use the Advanced Call Features.  They need to match the Telephone
>companies values.  Ask your Telephone company for these values to see
>if they match.

Are you using 3.10? That's the ONLY release you should be using. If you have
been beta testing, PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE these earlier releases.

Dan Brennan
3Com

1. 3Com Impact vs IQ Impact?

I have some "new old stock" that I would like to sell, but I haven't been
able to find any good reference documents for the 3Com Impact ISDN modem
(model 3C876 for the Macintosh if that matters). Most of what I see for
sale right now is the newer IQ Impact model, which I know is smaller, but
don't have a clue about any "real" differences and the 3Com support pages
for the Impact point to IQ documents so I wonder if they might not be
functionally about the same. In addition of any functional differences I
would like to know what the 3Com attitude is regarding warranty on new,
but older products.

Thanks.

BTW I have found two documents, how to order a ISDN line, and a fairly
generic FAQ on the 3Com web site directly referencing this model, but
nothing I can pass on to a buyer and expect them to make sense of.

2. null array

3. 3com Impact Impact IQ & Call Waiting

4. How long has the HP 6100 been out?

5. Cisco 1004 and 3com Impact IQ

6. FS : souped up A1200

7. FS: 3Com ISDN Impact IQ

8. Cannot open attatchments

9. 3com Impact Iq ISDN

10. 3com Impact IQ - ISDN problems with PPP

11. 3com Impact IQ and Linux/PPP

12. 3com impact IQ isdn weird