DNS Queries and ISDN line

Post by Christophe Savo » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I've installed a remote office, using two ISDN routers. On the remote
side, I only have one WIN95 station.

Problem :

The ISDN line opens every 5 minutes, even if no application is running.
I have connected a sniffer onto my LAN and seen some "DNS Queries" that
force the router to open the line. If I turn the DNS resolution off on
the Win95 station, the line do not open anymore... but I can't surf the
web using domain names !

My question :

Does somebody know a way to stop these DNS queries, or to increase the
Query timer ?

Thanks, et bonne journe tous !

Christophe

--
Assistance Professionnelle Informatique S.A.

   /\     |---|  |   Christophe SAVOY
  /  \    |   |  |   Av. des Boveresses 42
 /----\   |---|  |   CH-1000 LAUSANNE 21
/      \  |      |   Tel. +41 21 654 30 30
                     FAX  +41 21 653 44 14

DNS Queries and ISDN line

Post by Keith Murph » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I've installed a remote office, using two ISDN routers. On the remote
> side, I only have one WIN95 station.

> Problem :

> The ISDN line opens every 5 minutes, even if no application is
> running.
> I have connected a sniffer onto my LAN and seen some "DNS Queries"
> that
> force the router to open the line. If I turn the DNS resolution off on

> the Win95 station, the line do not open anymore... but I can't surf
> the
> web using domain names !

> My question :

> Does somebody know a way to stop these DNS queries, or to increase the

> Query timer ?

It seems abnormal to me that you would have these DNS queries.  I'm
running Win95 and have an Ascend router and the line stays down just
fine when I'm not wanting to go out.  And, of course, I'm doing DNS
resolution  (I assume you mean where you "Enable DNS" in the Network
thingie in Control Panel).  You wouldn't happen to be running something
like Net.Medic, would you?  I've noticed it sends packets out; other
things may also.

DNS Queries and ISDN line

Post by Kirk Hoba » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I've installed a remote office, using two ISDN routers. On the remote
>side, I only have one WIN95 station.

>Problem :

>The ISDN line opens every 5 minutes, even if no application is running.
>I have connected a sniffer onto my LAN and seen some "DNS Queries" that
>force the router to open the line. If I turn the DNS resolution off on
>the Win95 station, the line do not open anymore... but I can't surf the
>web using domain names !

I'm trying to fix a similar situation with our LAN/Pipeline50. We have
one NT server and several Win95 workstations. If I down the server at
night for maintenance, and if somebody has left their Win95 machine
running, Win95 causes the Pipeline to dial our ISP every five minutes.
Using an ethernet monitor, I see Win95 sending a packet containing the
name of our Windows workgroup to the remote DNS! I guess Win95 thinks
DNS might knows where our NT server has gone...

DNS Queries and ISDN line

Post by Daniel Ka » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> It seems abnormal to me that you would have these DNS queries.  I'm
> running Win95 and have an Ascend router and the line stays down just
> fine when I'm not wanting to go out.  And, of course, I'm doing DNS
> resolution  (I assume you mean where you "Enable DNS" in the Network
> thingie in Control Panel).  You wouldn't happen to be running something
> like Net.Medic, would you?  I've noticed it sends packets out; other
> things may also.

I've noticed these DNS queries also by watching the WinGate 2.0e. It
queries it's own FQDN which is stated in my TCP/IP configuration under
Network configurations. I have WinGate to initiate dial-up on DNS queries
and it's very annoying. This happens when no TCP/IP or Winsock
applications are running and seems to me thatthe TCP/IP stack is doing
this.

How do you make it stop that? =)

Warmest Regards,
  --Dan

   University of Washington           Web: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kao
   Home/VoiceMail: (360) 866-2993     Mobile/VoiceMail: (206) 605-1245

DNS Queries and ISDN line

Post by Matt Fish » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I was fighting this problem last night (I just got an Ascend Pipeline 75).
The culprit seems to be Netbios trying to do name lookups.  After installing
half a dozen different filters I managed to prevent most of the unwanted
dialouts.  For the situation you guys are talking about, try filtering out IP
packets with the source port 137 and destination port 53.  (That's Netbios-ns
trying to do a dns lookup.)

Matt

>>I've installed a remote office, using two ISDN routers. On the remote
>>side, I only have one WIN95 station.

>>Problem :

>>The ISDN line opens every 5 minutes, even if no application is running.
>>I have connected a sniffer onto my LAN and seen some "DNS Queries" that
>>force the router to open the line. If I turn the DNS resolution off on
>>the Win95 station, the line do not open anymore... but I can't surf the
>>web using domain names !

>I'm trying to fix a similar situation with our LAN/Pipeline50. We have
>one NT server and several Win95 workstations. If I down the server at
>night for maintenance, and if somebody has left their Win95 machine
>running, Win95 causes the Pipeline to dial our ISP every five minutes.
>Using an ethernet monitor, I see Win95 sending a packet containing the
>name of our Windows workgroup to the remote DNS! I guess Win95 thinks
>DNS might knows where our NT server has gone...

3801 Brooklyn Ave NE, apt L301D; Seattle, WA  98105 -=- PH# (206)547-3437
[ Smile, things can only get worse ] <-=-=-> [ He who laughs, lasts... ]
[ All my friends and I are crazy, that's the only thing that keeps us sane ]

DNS Queries and ISDN line

Post by Kirk Hoba » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I was fighting this problem last night (I just got an Ascend Pipeline 75).
>The culprit seems to be Netbios trying to do name lookups.  After installing
>half a dozen different filters I managed to prevent most of the unwanted
>dialouts.  For the situation you guys are talking about, try filtering out IP
>packets with the source port 137 and destination port 53.  (That's Netbios-ns
>trying to do a dns lookup.)

Thanks Matt, your filter suggestion worked!

Now if I can just figure out why the Pipeline isn't letting me connect
to my ISP's news server...

DNS Queries and ISDN line