RT328, Additional DN, PacBell NI-1 DMS-100: how?

RT328, Additional DN, PacBell NI-1 DMS-100: how?

Post by David K. Engli » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I recently installed a RT-328 on my PacBell NI-1 ISDN line, served by a
DMS-100.

My previous line configuration was for a IBM 7845 NT-1 Extended. In
addition to the 2 primary directory numbers, I had a third directory
number which "rang" on an EKTS key - the 7845 saw that as an additional
call on the B1 channel, and put the call out on the POTS port with a
distinctive ring. I want to keep that 3rd directory number, since many
people have it as my FAX number.

I know that the RT328 won't provide the "distinctive ring" feature, but
I can't even get it to ANSWER the additional DN. I had PacBell set up
the line with EKTS on, and the additional DN rings on (arbitrarily
chosen) key 8. When I dial that number from another phone, I hear (on
the calling line): one ring, then a fast busy. On the RT328, the B1
light flashes twice, but there is no ring on the POTS port.

How can I configure the RT328 and the line so that the additional DN
rings one of the POTS ports???

David K. English

Post by Sam C. Nicholson ! » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

> I know that the RT328 won't provide the "distinctive ring" feature, but
> I can't even get it to ANSWER the additional DN. I had PacBell set up
> the line with EKTS on, and the additional DN rings on (arbitrarily
> chosen) key 8.

Check that drop isn't assigned to "key" 8.

Post by Laurence V. Mar » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

>> I know that the RT328 won't provide the "distinctive ring" feature, but
>> I can't even get it to ANSWER the additional DN. I had PacBell set up
>> the line with EKTS on, and the additional DN rings on (arbitrarily
>> chosen) key 8.

>Check that drop isn't assigned to "key" 8.

Does the RT328 support EKTS?  That's a pretty * feature not supported by
many products?  Does the RT328 tell you what keys to put the extra DNs on?

The behavior you describe is symptomatic of the switch offering a Call Setup to
the ISDN line but not getting back an Alerting message from any unit.

Laurence V. Marks
IBM Corp. - Research Triangle Park, NC

1. PacBell/DMS-100/NI-1 problem in SF: help ??

We are trying to set up a demo at DECUS
in San Francisco USA and we are having no end
of problems with PacBell. After a lot
of teething problems we finally can call
Australia from SF (but not the other way
around and SF end cant call itself!).

At the Australian end we can receive
data from SF (56k rate adapted) but
the SF end never receives any data
from us here. Has anyone seen a problem
like this and if so do you know what the
problem is (PacBell are of little help)

Thanks

Jon
Name:      Dr Jon Jenkins    Location: Digital Equipment Corporation NaC
Voice/Fax: 61-7-55-75-0151/100         Burnett Place, Research Park,

Close Proximity: "HEY YOU !!!"         QLD, AUSTRALIA 4229
"Daddy, what's outside the Universe?" (My 5 year old.....)

2. Rate limiting ICMP through Cisco router

3. ISDN PRI NI-1 and NI-2 on Nortel DMS 100

4. Search Between 2 dates???

5. DMS-100 vs 5ESS; Don't dial this from a DMS-100!

6. Home block not found

7. little-known bug in DMS-100 - PacBell mystified

8. Two users on XP using Money 2002 -- How do we share accounts?

9. Any SL-100 or DMS-100 CO pPople Out There?

10. Multiple SPID/TEI per DN on NI-1 5ESS?

11. P25-Can't link with DMS NI-1

12. DMS-100 T-1/PRI Backup for Cisco Routers

13. 1004 isdn <-> DMS-100