USR Sportster ISDN / ring gen cable / help with analog line performance?

USR Sportster ISDN / ring gen cable / help with analog line performance?

Post by Frank J. Kime Jr » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have two analog lines.  One POTS and the other provided through the
Sportster
ISDN analog interface port.  Due to the high per-minute cost of ISDN in
Indiana
I use the analog line to read news/ do slow Telnet etc.  Unfortunately,  I
am
unable to connect above 26k using the ISDN analog yet connect at 33k
reliably
on the POTS line.

A person at USR said I should buy the ring generator cable which would
allow
better quality of connection because of level translations.  If you have
the
Sportster have you noticed this to help in the connect rate?

Could it be the fact my ISDN line is repeated several trunk lines away
causing
this problem?

Thanks, Frank

USR Sportster ISDN / ring gen cable / help with analog line performance?

Post by David Lesh » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[UGLY linewrapping...]

Quote:>I have two analog lines.  One POTS and the other provided through the
>Sportster
>ISDN analog interface port.  Due to the high per-minute cost of ISDN in
>Indiana
>I use the analog line to read news/ do slow Telnet etc.  Unfortunately,  I
>am
>unable to connect above 26k using the ISDN analog yet connect at 33k
>reliably
>on the POTS line.
>A person at USR said I should buy the ring generator cable which would

BULLxxxx. I can see no way that will change things.

Find TE that does analog well.

But if IN ISDN has voice that is not per minute, instead just use
DOVBS for 56k to your ISP.

Post by Chris Britt » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have two analog lines.  One POTS and the other provided through the
Sportster ISDN analog interface port.  Due to the high per-minute cost
of ISDN in Indiana I use the analog line to read news/ do slow Telnet
etc.  Unfortunately,  I am unable to connect above 26k using the ISDN
analog yet connect at 33k reliably on the POTS line.

A person at USR said I should buy the ring generator cable which would
allow better quality of connection because of level translations.  If
you have the Sportster have you noticed this to help in the connect
rate?

Could it be the fact my ISDN line is repeated several trunk lines away
causing this problem?

Thanks, Frank

   The problem is you're adding another A/D conversion. With a POTS
line your modem converts the digital data to analog, which is then
converted back to digital by the modem on the other end (I'm leaving
out all the CO conversions). When you hook it up to your TA your modem
turns the digital into analog which then is converted back to digital
by the TA. These conversions cause you to lose bandwidth and are the
reason you only connect at 26400.

Post by Mike McKe » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have two analog lines.  One POTS and the other provided through the
>Sportster
>ISDN analog interface port.  Due to the high per-minute cost of ISDN in
>Indiana
>I use the analog line to read news/ do slow Telnet etc.  Unfortunately,  I
>am
>unable to connect above 26k using the ISDN analog yet connect at 33k
>reliably
>on the POTS line.

>A person at USR said I should buy the ring generator cable which would
>allow
>better quality of connection because of level translations.  If you have
>the
>Sportster have you noticed this to help in the connect rate?

>Could it be the fact my ISDN line is repeated several trunk lines away
>causing
>this problem?

>Thanks, Frank

From my experience, the ring generator will actually reduce your
connect speed. I too have one POTS line and one off the USR.
Dialing the same number, I get the folowing results.

28.8 Sportster on POTS to 33.6 Sportster: 26.4k
28.8 Sportster on analog port off USR 128k to 33.6 Sportster: 28.8k
28.8 Sportster on analog port w/ring generator to 33.6 Sportster:
26.4k

I get these results every time, so I do believe it it the ring
generator making the difference. I makes sense to me. It is just one
more piece of clutter on the line.

Mike McKeig

1. Does an Analog Modem's Performance Improve Over ISDN lines?

I never would have thought that using an ISDN TA with a modem connected
to an RJ-11 analog port would be a good ISDN application but we have
installed many of them. The issue is that the telephone company only
guarantees that you can talk on an analog line...not send modem data.
If the bit error rate on your line is so high that your 28.8 modem is
folding back to 19.2, 9.6 or even 4.8 KBPS, as long as you can talk on
the phone with no objectionable noise, the phone company probably won't
help. An ISDN TA does the analog to digital conversion on your premise.
And they have to ensure that your ISDN line meets strict guidelines for
bit error rate, loss and frequency attenuation.

The bottom line is that if your 28.8 modem is working at full speed on
an analog line, ISDN probably won't improve the situation. But, if you
are constantly being restricted to lower speed transmission AND the
problem is at your end and not the remote user, you will get better
performance with ISDN. Of course, if you can influence the choice of
equipment at the other end you'd be better off going with digital TA's
at 64 KBPS or multiples thereof.

Bob Cameron
http://www.ccg4isdn.com/isdn/info/html

2. CDO - Content-Transfer-Encoding Cannot be changed.

3. Dial up with analog line and analog modem to access ISDN ISP.

4. No Logon servers available to service the logon request

5. USR Courier ISDN on analog line

6. hello, where can I download NSbasic 2.0 (full version)?

7. FS/A: 3Com/USR Sportster 128K ISDN TA with Ring-Through Adapter

8. gdb for OS9

9. Wanted: USR Sportster 128k ISDN External Ring Generator

10. Need help with USR Sportster & Distinctive Ring

11. euro-isdn support in USR Sportster ISDN HELP!!!

12. Data connection from analog line to isdn line

13. WTB: Bulk Call Gen. E1/T1/Analog