ISDN Cable Requirments

Post by Steve Reini » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:39:17

I've called SBC and they will be "out to connect my ISDN" in a few days.

I want to be prepared on my end with the wiring so when all is set to go, I
can just plug everything in and speed away.  My home is an older house  that
has a fairly modern NID outside, but the wiring in my house is a mess and
this is a good time to renew all of it.

My house is wired with the traditional four-wire (red, green, yellow, black)
cable that you typically find used for analog telephone.  Is this suitable
for ISDN, or should I make the upgrade to Cat5 UTP?  As I said, the wiring
is in shabby shape and should be replaced anyhow. (Would you believe that up
in the attic, I found *splices* that weren't even taped or wire-nutted
together!!!?)

I have only two phone jacks in my home and so running new drops will not be
a big deal at all.

Should I run new Cat5 to the jacks?   Will I need RG-45 jacks, or will the
ISDN terminal adaptor use R-11?

Thanks!
-Steve

ISDN Cable Requirments

Post by Brian Bennet » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:32:56

Quote:> I've called SBC and they will be "out to connect my ISDN" in a few days.

> I want to be prepared on my end with the wiring so when all is set to go,
> can just plug everything in and speed away.  My home is an older house
that
> has a fairly modern NID outside, but the wiring in my house is a mess and
> this is a good time to renew all of it.

> My house is wired with the traditional four-wire (red, green, yellow,
black)
> cable that you typically find used for analog telephone.  Is this suitable
> for ISDN, or should I make the upgrade to Cat5 UTP?  As I said, the wiring
> is in shabby shape and should be replaced anyhow. (Would you believe that
up
> in the attic, I found *splices* that weren't even taped or wire-nutted
> together!!!?)

> I have only two phone jacks in my home and so running new drops will not
be
> a big deal at all.

> Should I run new Cat5 to the jacks?   Will I need RG-45 jacks, or will the
> ISDN terminal adaptor use R-11?

> Thanks!
> -Steve

I highly doubt running new wire would make any difference or would be
needed. I would not bother.

--

Brian Bennett
Data Packet Networks

ISDN Cable Requirments

Post by Steve Reini » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:14:47

ISDN is forgiving of poor wiring?  I had to patch up a cat5 ethernet based
network because someone had the wise idea to electrical tape back together a
drop that a rat had chewed through.  The computer on that drop would have
access at times, othertimes it would fail, all sorts of oddball things would
happen until I replaced the spliced drop with a single run of cat5.

I guess I'll give it a shot and rewire only if needed.

> > I've called SBC and they will be "out to connect my ISDN" in a few days.

> > I want to be prepared on my end with the wiring so when all is set to
go,
> > can just plug everything in and speed away.  My home is an older house
> that
> > has a fairly modern NID outside, but the wiring in my house is a mess
and
> > this is a good time to renew all of it.

> > My house is wired with the traditional four-wire (red, green, yellow,
> black)
> > cable that you typically find used for analog telephone.  Is this
suitable
> > for ISDN, or should I make the upgrade to Cat5 UTP?  As I said, the
wiring
> > is in shabby shape and should be replaced anyhow. (Would you believe
that
> up
> > in the attic, I found *splices* that weren't even taped or wire-nutted
> > together!!!?)

> > I have only two phone jacks in my home and so running new drops will not
> be
> > a big deal at all.

> > Should I run new Cat5 to the jacks?   Will I need RG-45 jacks, or will
the
> > ISDN terminal adaptor use R-11?

> > Thanks!
> > -Steve

> I highly doubt running new wire would make any difference or would be
> needed. I would not bother.

> --

> Brian Bennett
> Data Packet Networks
> http://datapacket.net
> Nationwide ISDN Access - http://dotnet.datapacket.net/digitalconnect.aspx
> Exclusive Microsoft Hosting Provider -
> http://dotnet.datapacket.net/shared-hosting.aspx

ISDN Cable Requirments

Post by Brian Bennet » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:14:13

Quote:> ISDN is forgiving of poor wiring?  I had to patch up a cat5 ethernet based
> network because someone had the wise idea to electrical tape back together
> drop that a rat had chewed through.  The computer on that drop would have
> access at times, othertimes it would fail, all sorts of oddball things
would
> happen until I replaced the spliced drop with a single run of cat5.

> I guess I'll give it a shot and rewire only if needed.

Lol, Well if you think the wire is taped together then of course. But
otherwise I see no need.

--

Brian Bennett
Data Packet Networks

1. IPV11.1 and IPV11.2 memory requirments....

In URL:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/data/doc/cintrnet/prod_cat/80936.htm

Cisco says that for IPV11.1 fits in 4MB flash and 2MB DRAM, is it true?
Even IPV11.2 should fit...

I need IPV11.1 to work with My TACACS+ server to allocate dynamically
access list to login name... the AVL inacl and outacl runs only with
IPV11.1 and above ?

If you can read the tables below:

Table 145 : Cisco IOS Product Numbers and Minimum Memory Requirements for
Cisco IOS Releases 11.2---Cisco 2500 Series

Minimum Memory Requirements Cisco IOS Release 11.2 Description Product
Number1
Flash Total DRAM2
Models
2501--2516
and 2520--2525 Total DRAM2  Models 2517--2519
IP   SF25C-11.2.1 SW25C-11.2.1=  4 MB 2 MB3    2 MB
IP Plus  SF25CP-11.2.1 SW25CP-11.2.1=  8 MB 4 MB    6 MB

Minimum Memory Requirements Cisco IOS Releases 11.1 11.0 10.3 10.2
Description Product Number1 Flash Total DRAM2
Models 2501--
2516 and 2520--
2525 Total DRAM2
Models 2517--
2519 Flash Total DRAM2
Models 2501--
2516 and 2520--
2525 Total DRAM2
Models 2517--
2519 Flash Total DRAM2
Models 2501--
2516 and 2520--
2525 Total DRAM2
Models 2517--
2519 Flash Total DRAM2Models 2501--
2516 and 2520--
2525 Total DRAM2
Models 2517--
2519
IP SF25C-xx.x.x SW25C-xx.x.x= 4 MB 2 MB 2 MB 4 MB 2 MB 2 MB 4 MB 2 MB 2
MB 4 MB 2 MB 2 MB

2. Customize the envelop on modeline

3. BGM memory requirments....

4. Info/Texinfo/Setext

5. Lab requirments for CCNP ---->CCIE practice

6. invalid applications

7. A gripe about Memory requirments for Cisco routers

8. PeopleSoft Finance Developer: Dallas, TX (downtown): for 6-12 month contract.

9. Question: memory requirments for Internet Backbone routers

10. A gripe about Memory requirments for Cisco routers

11. Security requirments questions

12. HSF/Motorola Vs. Lucent modem minimum requirments

13. system requirments for 3.2 enhancment pack