(ASCEND) Re: Ascend P75 now doing NAT

Post by Kevin Smit » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> When using NAT with the P75, does it function
> in the same manner as a proxy server?

Yes. But currently only to one host on the LAN. (4.6Ci14)
Full LAN support will be in a later release.

Quote:> I used a software proxy (Wingate) a year or
> so ago, and it had problems (which have probably
> been resolved by now, though) with FTPing with
> Netscape, multiple email accounts, etc.  I
> therefore came to the conclusion that a proxy
> solution was a pain in the butt.

The FTP issue has been addressed, though I don't know the
technical details (it works!). I have heard of other potential
problems with higher level applications that might need to know
the actual IP address of the host - I've not actually seen the
problems though.

--

Kevin Smith                             New Service and Support
Technology Manager, Marketing           Resources are now at:

To get FAQ'd:   <http://www.shore.net/~dreaming/ascend-faq>
or              <ftp://ftp.shore.net/members/dreaming/ascend-faq.txt>

Post by r » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> When using NAT with the P75, does it function
>> in the same manner as a proxy server?
>Yes. But currently only to one host on the LAN. (4.6Ci14)
>Full LAN support will be in a later release.

Er, I thought 5.0Ai17 supported a limited LAN config now?  (3 computers
I think?)

Quote:>Kevin Smith                         New Service and Support
>Technology Manager, Marketing               Resources are now at:

Interesting, so you are in Japan?  I think this NNTP posting host,
which is where you posted from, is in Japan:

Either that, or a fake post...  Which I am leaning towards since you
mentioned 4.6 while 5.0 has been out for quite a awhile with all the
features of 4.6 plus more... Odd.

rj
--
sig?  I don't need no stinkin sig

1. Ascend P75 now doing NAT

It appears that the P75 will now do NAT, as of s/w  4.6Ci12.

        http://www.ascend.com/service/sftware/46Cincr/46Ci12.htm

EOI 1345 Network Address Translation (NAT) for a LAN

   Network Address Translation for a LAN allows the Pipeline to
   connect a LAN to another network even if the devices on the LAN do
   not have valid addresses for the remote network. The Pipeline will
   translate between LAN and remote network addresses.

   This feature applies to the Pipeline 50 and the Pipeline 75.

Does that mean the P75 can be used when talking to an ISP that
assignes IP addresses dynamically, as is the case with the P25-Px?

Jeff

--

  Cartoon of the day: http://www.heurikon.com
  Do NOT send unsolicited e-mail!

2. Sturdy dot-matrix printers for a lab

3. VPN and Ascend P75 NAT router

4. Password via stdin

5. Question on getting Ascend P75's w/ NAT + Appletalk

6. Keep up the good work

7. Ascend P75 NAT Questions

8. CD-R not readable

9. Ascend P75 can't do NAT

10. NAT and Ascend P75 - does it really work?

11. Ascend P75 NAT - Multiple Machines at One Time, does it work?

12. VPN and Ascend P75 NAT router

13. Setting up W2K PPTP server behind Ascend P50 doing NAT?