Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA

Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA

Post by Andrew Chapli » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Howdy!

I've been trying to get MLPPP working from a linux box running Redhat 5.0
for a few days now.  I can connect fine over 1B, and can use the other B for
voice calls.  It's obviously (I'm assuming here so watch out) not a case of
bad SPIDs/DNs because both Bs work.

Some info:

ISDN phone co: Bell Atlantic
ISP: Buffnet (uses Ascend routers)
Linux hardware: an old Gateway 486SX/33 w/ Pentium Overdrive 83, 32M, 256k
cache, 5.4G among 3 HD's, scsi card with some external periphs, Cabletron
E21X, and 10x CD.
Linux software: kernel 2.0.34, pppd 2.3.5, all patches listed by Redhat are
applied

That leaves a few choices:

    Basically this configures the modem to use MLPPP and DOV.  FYI, the
manual I have does not list the Factory Profiles correctly.  AT&F0
configures the modem for Single-link PPP (I verified this by checking the
relevant AT settings listed).  The dial string I use is ATD1234567&7 which
was recommended by Motorola tech support, which differs from the manual.
The manual lists two ways of dialing: after the & repeat the number; just
include the &.

2) The card isn't configured properly under linux.  Currently it is
recognized as COM3 on IRQ3 at 0x3e8 and I use setserial to configure it for
spd_vhi.  Here's my options file from /etc/ppp:

connect "chat -vf /root/mypppscr"
user <myuser>
/dev/modem
115200
-detach
modem
lcp-max-configure 30
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
noipx
lock
debug
asyncmap 0x00000000
crtscts
defaultroute
noipdefault
mru 1024

Here's the chat script file:

REPORT CONNECT
ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
'' +++ATZ

OK ATD1234567\&7 CONNECT

3) The modem has a defect or there's a problem with the line.  Inside I'm
using Cat 5.

Any ideas?  I'm going to try and get a number from Mot Tech Support where I
can attempt an MLPPP connection and they can monitor things, or have them
connect to me.  I've already done this with my ISP and no matter what I've
tried nothing happens with the 2nd B.  I will also contact BA and have them
run some tests.

Thanks!

Andrew Chaplin, Computer Operator
Information Technology Services, Canisius College
chaplina at canisius dot edu (remove devnull when replying via email)

Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA

Post by D.Taylo » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:34:24 -0400  "Andrew Chaplin"

>Howdy!

>I've been trying to get MLPPP working from a linux box running Redhat 5.0
>for a few days now.  I can connect fine over 1B, and can use the other B for
>voice calls.  It's obviously (I'm assuming here so watch out) not a case of
>bad SPIDs/DNs because both Bs work.

>Some info:

>ISDN phone co: Bell Atlantic
>ISP: Buffnet (uses Ascend routers)
>Linux hardware: an old Gateway 486SX/33 w/ Pentium Overdrive 83, 32M, 256k
>cache, 5.4G among 3 HD's, scsi card with some external periphs, Cabletron
>E21X, and 10x CD.
>Linux software: kernel 2.0.34, pppd 2.3.5, all patches listed by Redhat are
>applied

>That leaves a few choices:

>    Basically this configures the modem to use MLPPP and DOV.  FYI, the
>manual I have does not list the Factory Profiles correctly.  AT&F0
>configures the modem for Single-link PPP (I verified this by checking the
>relevant AT settings listed).  The dial string I use is ATD1234567&7 which
>was recommended by Motorola tech support, which differs from the manual.
>The manual lists two ways of dialing: after the & repeat the number; just
>include the &.

>2) The card isn't configured properly under linux.  Currently it is
>recognized as COM3 on IRQ3 at 0x3e8 and I use setserial to configure it for
>spd_vhi.  Here's my options file from /etc/ppp:

>connect "chat -vf /root/mypppscr"
>user <myuser>
>/dev/modem
>115200
>-detach
>modem
>lcp-max-configure 30
>ipcp-accept-local
>ipcp-accept-remote
>noipx
>lock
>debug
>asyncmap 0x00000000
>crtscts
>defaultroute
>noipdefault
>mru 1024

>Here's the chat script file:

>REPORT CONNECT
>ABORT BUSY
>ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
>'' +++ATZ

>OK ATD1234567\&7 CONNECT

>3) The modem has a defect or there's a problem with the line.  Inside I'm
>using Cat 5.

>Any ideas?  I'm going to try and get a number from Mot Tech Support where I
>can attempt an MLPPP connection and they can monitor things, or have them
>connect to me.  I've already done this with my ISP and no matter what I've
>tried nothing happens with the 2nd B.  I will also contact BA and have them
>run some tests.

>Thanks!

>Andrew Chaplin, Computer Operator
>Information Technology Services, Canisius College
>chaplina at canisius dot edu (remove devnull when replying via email)

You seem to be missing a digit after the 1st. "F".(should be AT&F1)  The string
AT&F0 sets the protocol to "Asychronous V.120 Operation". AT&F1 sets the
protocol to "PPP". AT&F2 sets the protocol to "AIMux". The string %A4=1 sets
the line channel speed at 56k (%A4=0 sets it at 64k). Try changing the %A98=S
to %A2=95. Change the %A4=1 to %A4=0. I've tried the "W1" string with no
appreciable difference so try deleting it. The default is "W0"(disabled).

Along with this, the dial-up number should be XXXXXXX&XXXXXXX. I have had no
luck trying to use just the last digits for the second number, so I just enter
the full number 2 times. Make sure that you "uncheck" the option "Use area code
and dialing properties". When this is checked, all non-numeric characters are
stripped from the string, leaving you with 14 digits and no ampersand, which
defaults to the first seven digits.

Post by Paul Matthew » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I've been trying to get MLPPP working from a linux box running Redhat 5.0
> for a few days now.  I can connect fine over 1B, and can use the other B for
> voice calls.  It's obviously (I'm assuming here so watch out) not a case of
> bad SPIDs/DNs because both Bs work.

> ISDN phone co: Bell Atlantic

> I'm going to try and get a number from Mot Tech Support where I
> can attempt an MLPPP connection and they can monitor things, or have them
> connect to me.  I've already done this with my ISP and no matter what I've
> tried nothing happens with the 2nd B.  I will also contact BA and have them
> run some tests.

Andrew,

This is just a guess, but it might prove interesting at least.  I used to
use the Motorola BSP and I currently still use Bell Atlantic.  For nearly
a year I kept trying to get a full 128-kbps 2-B connection.  BA told me
over and over that my line was correctly configured.  Finally, someone
suggested that I might want to have Additional Call Offering (ACO)
installed.  I called the BA Infospeed line for tech assist and was told I
had it; I insisted on talking to a line service guy.  He called a couple
of days later and asked if I were "still having trouble" with my line.  I
said I didn't know but I had never been able to get 128.  I asked him
what he changed, and he refused to say.  However, I uplinked and lo!  The
little green lite blinked just like it says in the user manual.

I then called my ISP, who told me I was connecting on 2 B channels.  Tsk.

Regards,

Paul Matthews

Post by some.. » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Howdy!

>I've been trying to get MLPPP working from a linux box running Redhat 5.0
>for a few days now.  I can connect fine over 1B, and can use the other B for
>voice calls.  It's obviously (I'm assuming here so watch out) not a case of
>bad SPIDs/DNs because both Bs work.

>Any ideas?  I'm going to try and get a number from Mot Tech Support where I
>can attempt an MLPPP connection and they can monitor things, or have them
>connect to me.  I've already done this with my ISP and no matter what I've
>tried nothing happens with the 2nd B.  I will also contact BA and have them
>run some tests.

<SNIP>

I'm using the Bitsurfer Pro with Linux 5.1 and here is how I got it to dial
out both channels and it works great.  I created a file called "dial" in the
main (/) directory and then ran "chmod 755 dial" on it to make it executible.
Now all I have to do is type "/dial" to start the connection.  It bonds both
channels beautifully.  Here is what my dial script looks like:

pppd modem crtscts defaultroute user <your login name> connect 'chat \

/dev/cua0 115200

Of course you would substitute <your login name> with the name you use when
you dial into your ISP and change /dev/cua0 to match whatever device your
modem is attached to (using /dev/modem won't work).  Also xxx-yyyy&y would be
your ISP's dial-in number.  Note that in the scrip the dial command is in
quotes...this is necessary to get both channels to bond.  Once you make this
file using vi or some other editor, don't forget to chmod it so that it will
be executable.  This should work without any problems.

Next, be sure to edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and put your user name and
password in.  It should look something like this...

# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client                        server           secret           IP addresses
<your name>                *                  <your pw>

<your name> is the same as the login name in the dial script above and
<your pw> is the password used by your ISP to authinicate.

Once this is done, you should then be able to type ./dial and the modem should
connect with both channels and authinicate just fine.

Tony