User evaluation of Gandalf 5220 / 5240 ISDN bridge

User evaluation of Gandalf 5220 / 5240 ISDN bridge

Post by tangel.. » Sat, 29 Jan 1994 04:15:05

We are currently in the process of piloting an ISDN application using Gandalf
bridges 5220 and the 5240.  So far we have had some good and not so good
experiences with Gandalf support concerning the 5220 options and the setup of
the TA1 and the NT1, it does work.

On the other hand we have had some very bad experiences with 5240 with an
integrated NT1.  So far we haven't been able to place a call and FTP data from
our LAN over the ISDN facilities.  We switch back to the 5220 and it works.  So
far Gandalf has not been specific about the problem, other than that they will
fix it and bring in upgraded bridges when a fix is found.

Are there any user evaluations or experiences with the Gandalf ISDN bridges
that would address our situation.

Tony Angelico
Eductional Testing Service

Post by tangel.. » Sat, 29 Jan 1994 02:51:14

We are currently in the process of piloting an ISDN application using Gandalf
bridges 5220 and the 5240.  So far we have had some good and not so good
experiences with Gandalf support concerning the 5220 options and the setup of
the TA1 and the NT1, it does work.

On the other hand we have had some very bad experiences with 5240 with an
integrated NT1.  So far we haven't been able to place a call and FTP data from
our LAN over the ISDN facilities.  We switch back to the 5220 and it works.  So
far Gandalf has not been specific about the problem, other than that they will
fix it and bring in upgraded bridges when a fix is found.

Are there any user evaluations or experiences with the Gandalf ISDN bridges
that would address our situation.

1. Help wanted: configuring Gandalf 5240/5242 ISDN boxes

We are a small college about to connect our campus LAN to a small LAN at newly created
faculty office site.  Each LAN runs Novell 3.12, one over Token Ring, one over
Ethernet 10bT.

Nevada Bell has already installed 2B+D ISDN lines at each site.  The next step is to
connect the LANs over these lines via Gandalf ISDN boxes.  (One box is a
5240i, the other a 5242i.)  Before I get too carried away I'd like to get some
idea of the proper configuration of these boxes for a Novell network.  Traffic
for now will be strictly IPX.  In the future we plan on using Gandalf boxes to
connect to a router at the University of Nevada, Reno, for our Internet access.

I only know enough about NW to keep myself out of significant trouble and would
appreciate any help to keep it that way.

George Brooks
Sierra Nevada College

2. 32-bit Windows OCI applications

3. FS cisco 1004 and gandalf 5240 $140 8x compression

4. Modems for Atari 800Xl ??

5. Gandalf 5240 cooling fan

6. MESSAGE D 07

7. Gandalf Lanline 5240 update wanted

8. Wireless Hand Helds

9. Acer 5220 Ethernet Card

10. Cisco 5240 and 56K HSP Micromodems

11. FS: ISDN access/provider equip; Gandalf Xpresrlan+PRIs, 5242i Bridges, ADC Kentrox CSUs]