Zyxel Omni TA 128 too slow

Post by Henning Krack » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Just bought and installed a Zyxel Omni TA 128 und NT 4.0

When I do downloads from a remote ISDN server, the transmission rate is
merely 3K/sec. Shouldn't it be at least 5-6 K? What can be the reason? The
serial port (normal FIFO)?

Henning

Zyxel Omni TA 128 too slow

Post by ben.. » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> When I do downloads from a remote ISDN server, the transmission rate is
> merely 3K/sec. Shouldn't it be at least 5-6 K? What can be the reason? The
> serial port (normal FIFO)?

serial port speed ? minimum should be 115k2; also, the remote side should be
able to keep up the 7k5/sec you'll normally see for a single B channel.

--
Grobbebol's Home                 |  Don't give in to spammers.   -o)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bengel     | Use your real e-mail address   /\

Zyxel Omni TA 128 too slow

Post by Henning Krack » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>serial port speed ? minimum should be 115k2; also, the remote side should
be
>able to keep up the 7k5/sec you'll normally see for a single B channel.

I SUPPOSE, it's 57600, like any other 16550 FIFO. So that it most probably
the reason? How much would I have to spent for a faster serial card, or is
there any other solution?

The other side is working with an AVM B1 active internal ISDN card, should
be no problem.

Henning

Zyxel Omni TA 128 too slow

Post by pfgeb » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Henning:

Step 1)  Set your comport to 115.2Kbps.  The 'standard'  (not really any
such thing) is 115 - some older modems require 57.6 or lower, but your
Zyxel can do 115 fine.  At 57.6 you're capping you throughput potential
at 5.5KB.

Step 2)  Look to your ISP.  95% odds that's where your 3KB limitation
is.  Get a graphical display monitor like the $10 DuMeter to see the
data feed pattern coming from the ISP.  Likely, you'll see a bursty
erratic pattern averaging to 3KB.   Simply setting the port to 115 may
allow that to average higher.  In the unlikely event that you see a rock
steady, flat top 3KB, we may have to look further.  Let us know.

--

Have the best day possible - all things considered.

Zyxel Omni TA 128 too slow

Post by Henning Krack » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Step 1)  Set your comport to 115.2Kbps.  The 'standard'  (not really any
>such thing) is 115 - some older modems require 57.6 or lower, but your
>Zyxel can do 115 fine.  At 57.6 you're capping you throughput potential
>at 5.5KB.

Have tried virtually every setting. The rate keeps staying at 3.5 K/sec.

Quote:>Step 2)  Look to your ISP.  95% odds that's where your 3KB limitation
>is.  Get a graphical display monitor like the $10 DuMeter to see the
>data feed pattern coming from the ISP.  Likely, you'll see a bursty
>erratic pattern averaging to 3KB.   Simply setting the port to 115 may
>allow that to average higher.  In the unlikely event that you see a rock
>steady, flat top 3KB, we may have to look further.  Let us know.

Huh? Maybe I should explain something first. We are not connecting to an ISP
here, but from our Singapore branch office to our German headquarter, kind
of a demand dial WAN.

How much would it be for a high speed serial card anyway? And where can I
get it?

Henning

Zyxel Omni TA 128 too slow

Post by ben.. » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I SUPPOSE, it's 57600, like any other 16550 FIFO. So that it most probably
> the reason? How much would I have to spent for a faster serial card, or is
> there any other solution?

just reinitialize it to 115k2. at 57k6, max speed will be approx 4.5...
4.7k/sec

Quote:> The other side is working with an AVM B1 active internal ISDN card, should
> be no problem.

never be sure about that, unless you have verified that it _is_ no problem.

--

Post by pfgeb » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>Step 1)  Set your comport to 115.2Kbps.  The 'standard'  (not really any
>>such thing) is 115 - some older modems require 57.6 or lower, but your
>>Zyxel can do 115 fine.  At 57.6 you're capping you throughput potential
>>at 5.5KB.

>Have tried virtually every setting. The rate keeps staying at 3.5 K/sec.

>>Step 2)  Look to your ISP.  95% odds that's where your 3KB limitation
>>is.  Get a graphical display monitor like the $10 DuMeter to see the
>>data feed pattern coming from the ISP.  Likely, you'll see a bursty
>>erratic pattern averaging to 3KB.   Simply setting the port to 115 may
>>allow that to average higher.  In the unlikely event that you see a rock
>>steady, flat top 3KB, we may have to look further.  Let us know.

>Huh? Maybe I should explain something first. We are not connecting to an ISP
>here, but from our Singapore branch office to our German headquarter, kind
>of a demand dial WAN.

Not a problem.  Substitute 'Singapore branch' for ISP.  Name of the
games the same - you can't receive more than is being sent.  Could you
mention how you are measuring the throughput?   I'm going to make a few
assumptions - please correct if wrong:

1) You're making 1B 64Kpbs data connections.
2) You have a motherboard or add-on card 16550 UART chip.
3) You haven't diddled with the DUN MTU and window parameters.

You need to do a few things;

1) Set the comport to 115.2Kbps
2) Get DuMeter.  It's a $10 shareware program available at
http://www.virtualsoftware.com/HagelTech/DUMeter/Index.htm
try before buy.  It gives a good graphical sense of your current
transfer rates and patterns.  You didn't say how you're measuring your
perceived transfer rate, but you may well be transferring in bursts of
64Kb (less if your comport is at 57.6)  followed by periods of heavy
panting by the Singapore branch.  What we'll be trying to do is
characterize the pattern of your transfers.  If you're receiving bursts
at 64Kb probably the hardware is OK.
3) Check with your counterpart in Singapore.  Perhaps he's as cautious
as you and has his comport set to 57.6 also.  Perhaps he's even more
cautious and has it set to 28.8.  That would result in... ummm... 'bout
3 to 3.6KB.
4) Since this is a peer operation maybe you upload files as well.  What
is the throughput and pattern of your uploads?
5) Do you have any other locations you connect to (an ISP maybe)?  If
so, what are  your transfer characteristics?

Quote:

>How much would it be for a high speed serial card anyway? And where can I
>get it?

About US $70-100 for a good one (LavaPort PCI or Turbocomm 920).  If
your connections are only 1B/64Kbps, you probably don't need one.  You'd
only marginally benefit when transferring large highly compressible
files (unless you're a gamer where every millisecond is to kill for)..

Quote:

--

Post by ben.. » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Huh? Maybe I should explain something first. We are not connecting to an ISP
> here, but from our Singapore branch office to our German headquarter, kind
> of a demand dial WAN.

ok, tell me what the dial init string is so that we ca find out what service
you use.

Quote:> How much would it be for a high speed serial card anyway? And where can I
> get it?

it depends on the used OS, for windows, there are alternatives like
lavaports, turbocomm etc, for linux a good idea would be the hayes esp card.
the latter isn't too good when used under windows, as the software for the
card is not well designed.

--
Grobbebol's Home                 |  Don't give in to spammers.   -o)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bengel     | Use your real e-mail address   /\
Linux 2.0.36  on  an i586/64 MB  |        on Usenet.             _\_v

Zyxel Omni TA 128 too slow

Post by ben.. » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> 1) You're making 1B 64Kpbs data connections.

also be sure that X75 is used or PPP. some ZyXELS also are capable of using
other speeds. for instance, if V.110 is used... the speeds are from 2400 bps
up to 64k.

--
Grobbebol's Home                 |  Don't give in to spammers.   -o)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bengel     | Use your real e-mail address   /\
Linux 2.0.36  on  an i586/64 MB  |        on Usenet.             _\_v

1. Zyxel omni.net and omni TA 128

Hello,

Can someone tell me what are the differences between this two models?
Zyxel omni.net and omni TA 128

And as they external adapters, the computer can be off to use the
analog ports? Can i answer an analog phone call? Or a analog modem on
other computer? Does they steal too much CPU power?

Do you think this is a good ISDN adapter?
How about Diamond NetCommander (internal one)?

Help, can't decide

Sorry for this newbie questions, but a i'm a ISDN newbie ;)

Many Thanks

SA

2. relese / renew

3. Fax-Capi for Zyxel Omni TA 128

4. Backup to Jaz starts, slows, stops

5. Zyxel Omni TA 128 and ETSI 300 102

6. assign ip address for two nic in one server

7. Zyxel Omni TA 128 and High speed serial card at ebay.

8. Need Help: about SunNetMgr

9. Zyxel omni TA 128

10. ZyXel Omni TA 128 Dual DTE Operation

11. ZyXel Omni TA 128 dual DTE problem

12. FS: Zyxel Omni TA 128