ISDN and remote node control

Post by Mike McWhinn » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

We are interested in the possibility of using ISDN BRI (128Kbps) for
remote access/remote control of a PC.  We would also like to upload
binary files (300Kb) to a central location from one or two remote
sites through the ISDN link.  We are currently using PCAnywhere
5.0/DOS for this.  Will this software support ISDN remote access and
also file transfers?  Is there a better DOS product on the market
which can accomplish this?

Thank you.

Mike McWhinney
Chief Engineer
elja, Inc.

ISDN and remote node control

Post by Laurence V. Mar » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>We are interested in the possibility of using ISDN BRI (128Kbps) for
>remote access/remote control of a PC.  We would also like to upload
>binary files (300Kb) to a central location from one or two remote
>sites through the ISDN link.  We are currently using PCAnywhere
>5.0/DOS for this.  Will this software support ISDN remote access and
>also file transfers?  Is there a better DOS product on the market
>which can accomplish this?

If you use one of the ISDN TAs which looks like an AT command set modem, that
should work.  Many TAs will only make such connections using V.120 (V.120 was
designed for carrying async data over ISDN, designed to replace modems without
affecting the application, exactly what you are looking for.)

The problem is that V.120 is a 64K protocol.  You can't run it over two
channels.  I am pretty sure that you can configure a pair of Motorola
Bitsurfers (one at each end) to use the AIMUX protocol, and get the 128K
connection you seek.

Now, that leads to a different problem:  A 115,200 PC async serial port is only
carrying a 92,160 kbps payload.  The rest is async start and stop bits which
are never sent over the ISDN.  Your 6-foot serial cable will be a slower
bottleneck than the line.  In fact, you will use less than 50 per cent of the
second B-channel.

So you need to get high-speed serial cards for the PCs, upgrade the BitSurfers
to Revision L or M software, and then:
Set the serial cards to 115,200.
Send the AT command string to <switch to 230,400 bps and store the setting>
Set the serial cards to 230,400.

Laurence V. Marks
IBM Corp. - Research Triangle Park, NC

1. ? remote control via remote node

I am tring to do remote node via remote node. Here is how i think
it should work: I am using novell's vlm's, Shiva's ipxodi drivers
and to provide a PPP connection. On my remote PC I have OceanIsle
Remote Control Software for the network and at the Host machine I
have the same software. When I dial into the Shiva Box I get a
remote node connection. Next I try to login to the Host PC. I
exchange logins but never get all the way in. Is anyone out there
doing this sort of thing now?

2. Adding an IBM-AT to AppleTalk to print on the LaserWriter.

3. netware connect - remote node vs. remote control?

4. I Want to Use LaTeX

5. Remote control & ISDN

6. nt4 dun && ascend && zyx omni.net

7. ISDN remote control?

8. Anyway to make Kodak Palmpix camera work with Macintosh?

9. Remote Control via U.S. Robotics ISDN????

10. Cisco 766 quick setup for remote ip node off of Unixware box ver 2.11

11. 2509 and NetWare remote nodes

12. Clueless Questions: Remote access/LAN node, CAS fax