Dallas GTE ISDN w/Gandalf 5242 and analog Fax?

Dallas GTE ISDN w/Gandalf 5242 and analog Fax?

Post by Danny Coope » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Andrew,

I have been using a Gandalf 5242i in Plano for about a year now, and it works
GREAT to send and receive FAX and use the POTS port for everything that I used
my old second analog line for.  The only gotcha that I have in Plano GTE
territory, is that I generally use the DOSBS mode to skirt the usage charge
that GTE currently imposes on data connections, and so I can only receive
incoming calls to the POTS line when the second channel is not already in use.

There is a feature that can be enabled in your translations at the TELCO that
allow an incoming voice/analog call to ring the POTS line and will properly
tear-down any existing active data connection on the second line when the POTS
line is taken "off-hook".  The caveat is that it will not ring thru an existing
voice/analog call; only a data call.  The option is referred to as ACO
"additional call offering" which is the ISDN term for the equivalence of "call
waiting".  It is generally an additional cost offering.

If you are in a SWB service area, or are using the data mode (and paying the
per
minute charges) in a GTE area, then this will work for you.

This same feature is also supported with most all ISDN vendors who have POTS
ports.  The ringer equivalency for the Gandalf supports somewhere around 4-6
ringers.  If you disable the ringers you can chain more devices on the port,
but only those whose ringers are enabled will know about the incoming calls.
Those with other vendors ISDN equipment will need to check the ringer support
for their own boxes.  I have three or four devices chained on my POTS port,
including a FAX, modems, and Plain Old Telephone.

--------------------------------SC PAWS Team-------------------------------

SC ProActive Workstation Support Team    TI MSG ID: DANC
Texas Instruments Incorporated           Voice: 214-917-3924
PO Box 650311, MS 3937  (PPC5)           Beep:  214-581-4956
Dallas, TX 75265                         Fax:   214-917-7966

[...]

Post by Andrew Gold » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I am pondering switching my current fax/modem line to Dallas GTE BRI ISDN
but before I do I have one final question.  If I were to purchase the
Gandalf 5242i and plug my current fax machine into it's RJ-11 port, would
I be able to recieve faxes from people sending from an Analog fax machine
on an analog line?  Please respond via e-mail as I am not a loyal follower
of the group.  Thanx!

Andrew Golden

* Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail will cost $500/message under USC 47 *
* which can be found online at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/*

1. Help wanted: configuring Gandalf 5240/5242 ISDN boxes

We are a small college about to connect our campus LAN to a small LAN at newly created
faculty office site.  Each LAN runs Novell 3.12, one over Token Ring, one over
Ethernet 10bT.

Nevada Bell has already installed 2B+D ISDN lines at each site.  The next step is to
connect the LANs over these lines via Gandalf ISDN boxes.  (One box is a
5240i, the other a 5242i.)  Before I get too carried away I'd like to get some
idea of the proper configuration of these boxes for a Novell network.  Traffic
for now will be strictly IPX.  In the future we plan on using Gandalf boxes to
connect to a router at the University of Nevada, Reno, for our Internet access.

I only know enough about NW to keep myself out of significant trouble and would
appreciate any help to keep it that way.

George Brooks
Sierra Nevada College

2. Is it true?

3. Gandalf 5242 v. Pipeline 25

4. I NEED HELP

5. Gandalf 5242

6. %% Modem + Computer = Extra Income Providing Remote Backups %%

7. Gandalf 5242 routing

8. Tandy 1000 SX

9. Rockwell HCF winmodem/Compaq 5242 connect problems

10. GTE-SW Seeks Approval to Offer ISDN in Dallas, TX

11. GTE: D channel for analog fax?

12. 28.8 analog (was Re: Using non-ISDN Modems and Fax machines with ISDN?)