Second Ethernet card or ISDN card for Sparc

Second Ethernet card or ISDN card for Sparc

Post by Ed Cheef » Mon, 05 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone made this same decision?

I am thinking of making one of our Sparc 4/75s
into a firewall.  I can get a second Ethernet card,
and an ISDN router, or I can install the Sun ISDN
card.  Which way means less hassels?

My concern is with lack of familiarity of ISPs
with Sun's ISDN card - resulting in lack of support.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Ed

Second Ethernet card or ISDN card for Sparc

Post by Bob Friesenha » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Has anyone made this same decision?

> I am thinking of making one of our Sparc 4/75s
> into a firewall.  I can get a second Ethernet card,
> and an ISDN router, or I can install the Sun ISDN
> card.  Which way means less hassels?

> My concern is with lack of familiarity of ISPs
> with Sun's ISDN card - resulting in lack of support.

With the latest release of Sun's ISDN software (1.0.3), Sun ISDN
is well prepared to hook up to most Internet providers.  They
provide excellent support for Ascend equipment which is what
most ISPs are using.  Compression works with Ascend equipment
quite nicely.

Perhaps once a month I get a kernel panic due to the PPP driver
accessing memory it shouldn't.  Other than that, I am quite
impressed with the quality and interface the software provides.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn

http://www.*ramp.net/~bfriesen