potential setup problems.

Post by MXDT » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 06:52:45

yesterday I posted on running in to potential problems on
setting up my home network with a router (Because it is
only 10 days until Live and I am worried) I got lots of
great responses.(thanks guys) Most of all I was refered to
a FAQ website.  On it it spoke of HUBS/Switches. I simply
want to have the computer and xbox both accessing the
internet at the same time.  What are your recomendations
for some one like me that doesn't know squate about
networking?  Now would using a hub or switch simplify
things? And what are the disadvantages of using a
hub/switch?
Thanks, I know this is a tired topic but I only have 10
more days!

potential setup problems.

Post by Doubble0 » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 07:09:07

Its really easy, just go to best buy pick up a 4 port
linksys switch, plug your cable/dsl line into the uplink
then run 2 cables one to your xbox and another to your
computer. Thats all there is to it.

potential setup problems.

Post by MXDT » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 07:34:39

Does a switch ditribute the bandwith accordingly or does
it split it 50/50 ?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Its really easy, just go to best buy pick up a 4 port
>linksys switch, plug your cable/dsl line into the uplink
>then run 2 cables one to your xbox and another to your
>computer. Thats all there is to it.
>.

potential setup problems.

Post by Bloody Templar [BOA » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 07:44:44

Quote:> Does a switch ditribute the bandwith accordingly or does
> it split it 50/50 ?

Well, it's not quite like that.  Suffice to say that if every node in your
network were receiving and transmitting data at the exact same rate, the
bandwidth would be evenly allocated.  But this will never happen.  :)

--
*y Templar

Educate yourself!  Read the FAQ:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> >.

potential setup problems.

Post by jake » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 07:43:08

ya exactly what the other guy said but make sure the cables
plugging into the router are reguler cat5e patch cables. If
you look you can find a good 100ft cable for about 15$
(what I use) and then just buy like a 5ft cord to plug the
router to the computer. I forgot how many and how long the
cables are that come with the linksys router. Anyways I
think its just 1 cable which goes from the modem to the
hub, so you may need to pick up 2 more unless you have some.

potential setup problems.

Post by Bobo Q. Fiendish Esq » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 07:50:54

Quote:

> Does a switch ditribute the bandwith accordingly or does
> it split it 50/50 ?

Well, I use Linksys' 8-port router, as I have four computers in the house
all on. and now the XBL... Generally, it distributes the bandwidth as
needed. For instance, if someone's downloading off a newgroup a ton on one
port, there won't be much speed for the others to use. This is why it is
suggested to logoff of filesharing and similar 'high-bandwidth' apps before
going to XBL.

Hope it helps.

1. Stay away from HP scanners .. potential problems!

I went to the HP forums at HP.com to see when the W2K drivers would be
released for my 2 month old HP 4200C USB scanner. I am truly shocked in what
I have read thus far in regards to no W2K support for the 4200C.

I understand the reasoning that the forum moderators have given for not
supporting the 4200C scanner and the other HP scanners under W2K, but I do
not agree with it (their reasoning is because of USB not being in NT and the
scanner was not designed for NT and thus W2000 and that the 4200C is for
home use and W2K is for businesses). I tried to make that point that W2K is
the first step in the convergence of NT and 98 with it's core being that of
NT. For a home user that is a "serious" PC user, this is a great (and
logical) step in OS's. We now have the benefits of the pure 32 bit OS, the
increased stability and functionality of NT, improved multi-tasking, much
better multi-user control (which I use in our home), and now it will run the
entertainment side of our requirements as well with supporting Direct X 7,
USB, PnP, DVD, etc...

My opinion/feeling is that HP made the call strictly on $'s. That being for
the number of home users that will upgrade to W2K, only a handful of them
will own a HP 4200C. And for that small number that own the HP 4200C we can
handle the disappointments/complaints that will follow because it is not
cost-effective to bring the peripheral forward to the new OS for this small
group of customers. I don't agree with HP's reasoning that home users will
not go W2K (or should not) on the basis that it is for businesses to upgrade
to from NT4.

Because I am so 'put off' by this decision and HP's logic behind who W2K is
"only" for, I will be boycotting all HP products in the future. Is this
extreme? Some will say 'yes' but I feel very sour from what I have just
learned and disagree with it especially since HP is a highly reputable
multi-billion dollar company.

2. Technic Assemle Cable RJ45 - ISDN.

3. Worried about potential set up problems.

4. FS: Amiga Goodies (UK)

5. Potential Problem With Priority Inversion Save Semaphore

6. A4000 or NOT

7. Potential parallelism vs. the Halting problem

8. Unable to connect using VPN Dialer (Windows 2000 - SBC DSL Modem 5360 - Enternet 300 )

9. dynamic linking and LD_PRELOAD potential problems

10. PM2012 SCSI adapter setup disks & EVEREX hypercube setup disks

11. How do I setup a ng, or how do I have it setup?

12. Setup unable to locate the harddrive partition prepared by MS-DOS portion of Setup

13. this is really a question regarding setup... java environment setup.