Multiplayer question:

Post by Saint NightWalke » Wed, 08 May 2002 11:22:03

...has anyone used a 100mbs Switch, instead of a Hub, and has it worked
(example: Halo)?

--

* Fnord

-=- Saint NightWalker -=-
  Patron Saint of Sinners
Winamp: Freezepop || Lazy

Multiplayer question:

Post by X_Educatio » Wed, 08 May 2002 11:42:18

On Mon, 6 May 2002 19:22:03 -0700, "Saint NightWalker"

Jif. :

Quote:>...has anyone used a 100mbs Switch, instead of a Hub, and has it worked
>(example: Halo)?

A switch will work great. When you hook up your broadband use a router
and plug your switch into the router. You will be golden!
X_Education

Was I ranting again?

Got Xbox questions? Check the FAQ!
Click http://www.xboxfaq.info

Multiplayer question:

Post by Saint NightWalke » Wed, 08 May 2002 12:17:12

X_Education graced me with his presence:

Quote:> A switch will work great. When you hook up your
> broadband use a router and plug your switch into
> the router. You will be golden!

I have broadband, and I wasn't asking about that. I was asking for a
non-internet related LAN, i.e. multiplayer Halo over a switch (instead of a
hub)... just 4 boxes, a switch, and a lot of drunk gamers.

--

* Fnord

-=- Saint NightWalker -=-
  Patron Saint of Sinners
Winamp: Hideki Naganuma || Sneakman

Multiplayer question:

Post by X_Educatio » Wed, 08 May 2002 22:45:44

On Mon, 6 May 2002 20:17:12 -0700, "Saint NightWalker"

Jif. :

Quote:>X_Education graced me with his presence:
>> A switch will work great. When you hook up your
>> broadband use a router and plug your switch into
>> the router. You will be golden!

>I have broadband, and I wasn't asking about that. I was asking for a
>non-internet related LAN, i.e. multiplayer Halo over a switch (instead of a
>hub)... just 4 boxes, a switch, and a lot of drunk gamers.

Look back at my answer, " A switch will work great.". What more do you
want?

I was also pointing out that the switch will also work with your
broadband, because Xbox live service is coming soon.

You are not the only one who may read this thread.

Next time you are going to ask such a simple question go read the FAQ
first.

Then have another beer and go play.

Post by Saint NightWalke » Thu, 09 May 2002 00:10:49

X_Education graced me with his presence:

Quote:> Look back at my answer, " A switch will work great.".
> What more do you want?

"A switch will work great." is a good enough answer.

"A switch will work great. When you hook up your broadband use a router and
plug your switch into the router. You will be golden!" is an answer that
appears to be talking about internet-*, and not only LAN play.

See the difference?

Quote:> I was also pointing out that the switch will also
> work with your broadband, because Xbox live
> service is coming soon.

I know it does, and I know it is. I was asking because I have an extra
100mbs switch sitting around doing nothing, and I thought there would be a
slightly better improvement over a LAN game if I used it instead of a hub.

However, since hubs and switches are two very different things, and since I
don't know if the Xbox multiplayer logic is proprietary to the point of
working only on non-intelligent networks, I'd thought I'd drop a quick
message to Usenet, and see how it goes.

Quote:> You are not the only one who may read this thread.

Duh. It's usenet. That's why I was asking for clarification on the answer,
so as to not confuse others.

Quote:> Next time you are going to ask such a simple question
> go read the FAQ first.

I did.

5.11 How do I connect 3 or more Xboxes together?

You need a hub with at least as many ports as you have Xboxes. You also need
a patch cable (NOT a crossover cable) for each Xbox. Plug 'em all into the
hub and off you go.

--

I don't see the word "switch" there. I did a Find on the whole page... the
only "switch" that came up was in switching between TV and VCR, etc.

...and as I said, a hub and a switch are two very different things.

So, maybe the FAQ isn't the end-all be-all place to have questions answered?
Imagine that.

Quote:> Then have another beer and go play.

I, personally, hate beer... but a nice scotch will do nicely.

--

* So many stupid people, so few comets.

-=- Saint NightWalker -=-
  Patron Saint of Sinners
Winamp: No Doubt || Hella Good

Multiplayer question:

Post by X_Educatio » Thu, 09 May 2002 00:45:21

On Tue, 7 May 2002 08:10:49 -0700, "Saint NightWalker"

Jif. :

Quote:>I know it does, and I know it is. I was asking because I have an extra
>100mbs switch sitting around doing nothing, and I thought there would be a
>slightly better improvement over a LAN game if I used it instead of a hub.

Plug it up and report your findings back here with the subject line
calloing attention to Boid, He will add it to the FAQ.
Quote:

>However, since hubs and switches are two very different things, and since I
>don't know if the Xbox multiplayer logic is proprietary to the point of
>working only on non-intelligent networks, I'd thought I'd drop a quick
>message to Usenet, and see how it goes.

Switches and hubs are different technically but for the use you are
describing they will have functionally similar duty (switches are more
robust and prevent packet collision). I would reccomend using a switch
for reasons previously explained in this thread.

A hub is a common connection point for devices in a network. Hubs are
commonly used to connect segments of a LAN. A hub contains multiple
ports. When a packet arrives at one port, it is copied to the other
ports so that all segments of the LAN can see all packets.

A passive hub serves simply as a conduit for the data, enabling it to
go from one device (or segment) to another. So-called intelligent hubs
include additional features that enables an administrator to monitor
the traffic passing through the hub and to configure each port in the
hub. Intelligent hubs are also called manageable hubs.

A third type of hub, called a switching hub, actually reads the
destination address of each packet and then forwards the packet to the
correct port.

Switching hub is short for port-switching hub, a special type of hub
that forwards packets to the appropriate port based on the packet's
address. Conventional hubs simply rebroadcast every packet to every
port. Since switching hubs forward each packet only to the required
port, they provide much better performance. Most switching hubs also
support load balancing, so that ports are dynamically reassigned to
different LAN segments based on traffic patterns. (hense my reference
to using a switch with a router).

Some switching hubs support both traditional Ethernet (10 Mbps) and
Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) ports. This enables you to establish a
dedicated, Fast Ethernet channel for high-traffic devices such as
servers, and still maintain connection with any 10 Mbps equipment you
may wish to attach to your LAN.

The Xbox has a standard Ethernet NIC (Network Interface Card), and is
fully compliant with Ethernet standards. Thus it will interoperate
with all standard Ethernet equipment. The "Intelligence" built into
Ethernet switches is independant of the OS of the equipment connecting
to it.

Quote:

>* So many stupid people, so few comets.

You should never drink on an empty head.

Post by Boid » Thu, 09 May 2002 00:51:36

> > Next time you are going to ask such a simple question
> > go read the FAQ first.

> I did.

> 5.11 How do I connect 3 or more Xboxes together?

> You need a hub with at least as many ports as you have Xboxes. You also need
> a patch cable (NOT a crossover cable) for each Xbox. Plug 'em all into the
> hub and off you go.

> --

> I don't see the word "switch" there. I did a Find on the whole page... the
> only "switch" that came up was in switching between TV and VCR, etc.

> ...and as I said, a hub and a switch are two very different things.

> So, maybe the FAQ isn't the end-all be-all place to have questions answered?
> Imagine that.

I will correct that with my next revision. Sorry for the omission. I
ASSumed a certain level of network knowledge, but, duh, this is a FAQ
for beginners. I should've been more verbose.

A switch and a hub should work exactly the same with ANY network client
(excluding improved bandwidth of course). The whole point of the OSI
7-layer model (on which almost all modern networking is based) is that
such things are transparent to the communication protocol used. The Xbox
behaves just like any other network client in this regard.

I would point out, however, that unless you have more than 4 Xboxes
hooked to the same hub, you aren't likely to see any improvement with a
switch. The Xbox's bandwidth requirement isn't THAT big.

Will it work? Absolutely. Will it improve anything about the games? Not
likely.

1. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Inverted Control and Multiplayer Question

In the demo for Castle Wolfenstein you can only set one "overall" control
preference for up/down looking being inverted or not. The problem is that I
prefer the view control to be inverted but the person I play with in split
screen Co-op does not.

Is the full game also limited to one *view* setting or can we each customize
this like we can in Halo? I was very disappointed that Ghost Recon also only
allowed this setting to affect both players and not each individually. I
would hope that more game developers would start learning from the successes
of others and give the player more control on setting the controls. ;-)

Any info on Castle Wolfenstein is appreciated.

Madmatt

2. DataTable.NewRow() Problems

3. Unreal Multiplayer Question

4. Do hyperlinks flow through from Access 2000 to FP 2000?

5. Xbox Live Multiplayer Question

6. Changing Timezones

7. Multiplayer Question

8. multiplayer question

9. Multiplayer Question

10. Multiplayer XBOX Capabilities - Networking Questions

11. mass multiplayer internet question

12. Multiplayer Tracking Question.