Surround Sound Dolby Digital 5.1

Post by tg » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:04:31

you are luck y i came om : )  I am a home theater
expert...let me tell you what i tell many...Polk Audio Will
give you a lot of sound for the money ...the rm5600
speaker system is pretty inexpensive but you got to
hear what you get for the money...as far as receivers
go Denon is very good & what i have

Surround Sound Dolby Digital 5.1

Post by IronKnigh » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:57:37

I've never used surround sound before, but I have decided
to capitalize on the advanced features of my XBOX.
Unfortunatly without using surround before I am somewhat
at a disadvantage.  Can anyone tell me what I need to
hook up a system for some good quality surround sound so
I can feel as if I'm really in the game.  I saw the BOSE
set up but it is a more than I want to spend (more than
the system itself if I read correctly.) Do I have to buy
the whole set up with the digital reciever or just the
speakers, and whats a few quality, not so expensive
options? Thanks

Surround Sound Dolby Digital 5.1

Post by xTen » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:40:21

Quote:> I've never used surround sound before, but I have decided
> to capitalize on the advanced features of my XBOX.
> Unfortunatly without using surround before I am somewhat
> at a disadvantage.  Can anyone tell me what I need to
> hook up a system for some good quality surround sound so
> I can feel as if I'm really in the game.  I saw the BOSE
> set up but it is a more than I want to spend (more than
> the system itself if I read correctly.) Do I have to buy
> the whole set up with the digital reciever or just the
> speakers, and whats a few quality, not so expensive
> options? Thanks

To take advantage of the surround sound on the XBox , I would definitely
suggest going the Dolby 5.1 route.  This means that you MUST have a receiver
with digital input.  An optical digital input will provide the easiest
setup,  since all you will need to make the connection is either the
advanced or HD pack for the xbox and a toslink optical cable.

You can buy complete surround systems at a variety of prices, so let the
price range in mind be your guide.  If you do watch for optical 5.1 support
then I think you will be pleased with your results.  If possible, get  a
system with a powered subwoofer instead of a passive design, but this is not
a show stopper.  Besides, you can always add this later at a good price.
(You might not even notice the heartbeat in Halo unless your have a good low
end, not to mention the effects of a good explosion...  )

Also, If you plan to use the system for watching TV or movies also look for
a fairly good center speaker.   Again, this is something that can be changed
later, but unlike the non-directional nature of a subwoofer, placement of
the center speaker should figure into your setup accordingly.

When you do set up the surround sound try to get some seperation on your
speakers, since after all you will want to know when the bad guys are
sneaking up on you and from which direction they are coming. <GRIN>

--
Microsoft MVP - XBox
Peer to Peer learning - strongest model throughout history

Surround Sound Dolby Digital 5.1

Post by YourBuddy » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:32:59

Get yourself a decent receiver that supports Dolby Digital and DTS, and I'd
recommend speakers from a company called "Fluance". I bought a complete 5
speaker setup on eBay for $250, and the sound is incredible. Of course,
you'll also need a subwoofer for true 5.1---Polk Audio is a good choice!

Surround Sound Dolby Digital 5.1

Post by Joe M » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 02:22:15

Do not buy Bose, overrated crap.  No true subwoofer which is critical to
good home theater.  Too pricey for the sound capability.

You need a receiver and should get 5 speakers and a subwoofer.  This hobby
is a function of cost and taste so you should decide on your budget and go
listen to the receivers and speakers in that price range.

Here are some options at various price points:

Good low budget - Onkyo HTS650 - Dolby Digital/DTS receiver 5x100w per
channel audio and 5 speakers and a sub: $435

http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=&product_id=277

Very good $1200 system - Onkyo TSXR700 and Atlantic Technologies T700 5.1
Speakers:

http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20THEATER&product_id=142

http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20THEATER&product_id=2548

Kick ASS system for $3500 - Onkyo TXDS898 and PSB Command Performance:

http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20THEATER&product_id=871

http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20AUDIO&product_id=16

These are just a few ideas.  BTW, I'm not affiliated with that site AT ALL.
I've been to the retail store and can say they are real nice guys and have
great prices.  Bought my Sony Wega 36" XBR, Onkyo 787 Receiver and Velodyne
Subwoofer there.  I'm a huge fan of Onkyo, that's why I recommend one in
every package.  Speakers are absolutely a question of personal preference
and really must be demonstrated to be judged.

--
Joe M.

Quote:> I've never used surround sound before, but I have decided
> to capitalize on the advanced features of my XBOX.
> Unfortunatly without using surround before I am somewhat
> at a disadvantage.  Can anyone tell me what I need to
> hook up a system for some good quality surround sound so
> I can feel as if I'm really in the game.  I saw the BOSE
> set up but it is a more than I want to spend (more than
> the system itself if I read correctly.) Do I have to buy
> the whole set up with the digital reciever or just the
> speakers, and whats a few quality, not so expensive
> options? Thanks

Surround Sound Dolby Digital 5.1

Post by Raph » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 02:29:53

I have to agree with you on Bose. That's why everyone that sells them has to
sign an agreement not to demo them side by side with other speakers. Take a
look at B&W speakers if you get a chance. I just got a pair of N804's for my
fronts. I have B&Ws all the way around and they are sweet. I also looked at
the Onkyo and Integra receivers but went with Marantz SR8200.

> Do not buy Bose, overrated crap.  No true subwoofer which is critical to
> good home theater.  Too pricey for the sound capability.

> You need a receiver and should get 5 speakers and a subwoofer.  This hobby
> is a function of cost and taste so you should decide on your budget and go
> listen to the receivers and speakers in that price range.

> Here are some options at various price points:

> Good low budget - Onkyo HTS650 - Dolby Digital/DTS receiver 5x100w per
> channel audio and 5 speakers and a sub: $435

> http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=&product_id=277

> Very good $1200 system - Onkyo TSXR700 and Atlantic Technologies T700 5.1
> Speakers:

> http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20THEATER&product_id=142

> http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20THEATER&product_id=2548

> Kick ASS system for $3500 - Onkyo TXDS898 and PSB Command Performance:

> http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20THEATER&product_id=871

> http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20AUDIO&product_id=16

> These are just a few ideas.  BTW, I'm not affiliated with that site AT
ALL.
> I've been to the retail store and can say they are real nice guys and have
> great prices.  Bought my Sony Wega 36" XBR, Onkyo 787 Receiver and
Velodyne
> Subwoofer there.  I'm a huge fan of Onkyo, that's why I recommend one in
> every package.  Speakers are absolutely a question of personal preference
> and really must be demonstrated to be judged.

> --
> Joe M.

> > I've never used surround sound before, but I have decided
> > to capitalize on the advanced features of my XBOX.
> > Unfortunatly without using surround before I am somewhat
> > at a disadvantage.  Can anyone tell me what I need to
> > hook up a system for some good quality surround sound so
> > I can feel as if I'm really in the game.  I saw the BOSE
> > set up but it is a more than I want to spend (more than
> > the system itself if I read correctly.) Do I have to buy
> > the whole set up with the digital reciever or just the
> > speakers, and whats a few quality, not so expensive
> > options? Thanks

Surround Sound Dolby Digital 5.1

Post by instigato » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:07:19

I went with a klipsch speaker-pioneer dvd and reciever
system package at a retailer. the reciever has optical
inputs (which the xbox's hdtv component av pack has(cant
remember if standard has one). I paid $1200 for the setup
but it was well worth it. It has dolby digital 5.1 and
dts 7.1, and I believe future games  will utilize these
newer tcchnologies to their fullest potential. (cross my
fingers lol)
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I've never used surround sound before, but I have
decided
>to capitalize on the advanced features of my XBOX.
>Unfortunatly without using surround before I am somewhat
>at a disadvantage.  Can anyone tell me what I need to
>hook up a system for some good quality surround sound so
>I can feel as if I'm really in the game.  I saw the BOSE
>set up but it is a more than I want to spend (more than
>the system itself if I read correctly.) Do I have to buy
>the whole set up with the digital reciever or just the
>speakers, and whats a few quality, not so expensive
>options? Thanks
>.

1. Dolby Digital Surround Sound 5.1

Does anyone have there Xbox hooked up to a VCR and have
the Advanced AV Pack with the Fiber Optical Cable with the
Dolby Digital Surround Sound 5.1 hooked up and working
correctly?

Also, does anyone that doesn't have any of Advanced AV
Pack or Surround Sound hooked up have the option of Dolby
Digital in thier Sound Option?

2. Mscdex Info ???

3. dolby digital 5.1 sound

4. VB variable passing to DLL

5. 5.1 dolby digital sound

6. Search Component Problem

7. XBox Dolby Digital 5.1 with Sony DB-STR 940 pop crackle sound

8. ZEOS w/modem 4 sale

9. XBOX and Dolby Digital 5.1 DTS sound

10. I need Dolby Digital surround sound help

11. Does the Dolby Digital mean surround sound?

12. Dolby Surround 5.1??

13. Interact 5.1 dolby Surround System