Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by Philip Smit » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:58:10

I have the Advanced AV Pack and a 5.1 receiver that has 6 x RCA surround
inputs (front left, front centre, front right, rear left, rear right,
subwoofer).  Is there a cable that can take the AV Pack's TOS output and
split it into these 6 outputs?  All I've seen is a TOSLink-to-digital
cable, but not a TOSLink-to-6channel cable...?

Post by wesza » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:13:27

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have the Advanced AV Pack and a 5.1 receiver that has 6
x RCA surround
>inputs (front left, front centre, front right, rear left,
rear right,
>subwoofer).  Is there a cable that can take the AV Pack's
TOS output and
>split it into these 6 outputs?  All I've seen is a
TOSLink-to-digital
>cable, but not a TOSLink-to-6channel cable...?
>.
>I use the fiberoptic cable and the 5.1 works great. you

need the digital optic input.

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by Philip Smit » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:00:05

Quote:> I use the fiberoptic cable and the 5.1 works great. you
> need the digital optic input.

I can't use a digital optic input, hence my question.

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by twentie » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:05:03

You'll have to see if your receiver has the ability to
decode.  I have the optical running from the Xbox and
then my two year old sony receiver decodes it down to the
five or six seperate channels.  I just recently went
through this asking my self you're same questions.  Let
me know if you find out anything different.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have the Advanced AV Pack and a 5.1 receiver that has
6 x RCA surround
>inputs (front left, front centre, front right, rear
left, rear right,
>subwoofer).  Is there a cable that can take the AV

Pack's TOS output and
Quote:>split it into these 6 outputs?  All I've seen is a
TOSLink-to-digital
>cable, but not a TOSLink-to-6channel cable...?
>.

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by Philip Smit » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:20:20

Quote:> You'll have to see if your receiver has the ability to
> decode.  I have the optical running from the Xbox and
> then my two year old sony receiver decodes it down to the
> five or six seperate channels.  I just recently went
> through this asking my self you're same questions.  Let
> me know if you find out anything different.

My receiver can both decode and also pass-through a decoded signal.
But I need a six-channel cable into the receiver from the Xbox, as
far as I know.  Does the Xbox decode the signal before sending it
to the receiver?

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by BL » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 04:10:10

Quote:> My receiver can both decode and also pass-through a decoded signal.
> But I need a six-channel cable into the receiver from the Xbox, as
> far as I know.  Does the Xbox decode the signal before sending it
> to the receiver?

No, the Xbox does not decode the audio.  I would first verify that your
receiver is truly capable of decoding the Dolby Digital signal (i.e. it's
more than just Dolby Digital-ready).  If indeed you have a receiver with
decoding capability and yet has neither an optical nor a coaxial digital
input, you are going to need to find some converter like you suggested you
might need (where to find it, I have no idea).  Otherwise, your receiver
will only take the 5.1 channels through the 6 channel inputs therefore
requiring you to have an external Dolby Digital decoder.  These are
expensive and, more often than not, usually are a less logical solution than
just upgrading your receiver to a new model with internal 5.1 decoding.  How
about kicking down the make and model number, just we know what we are
dealing with?

--
-BL
Gamertag: Leadfoot

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by Philip Smit » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:54:01

"BL" <Respond to Newsgroup> wrote in

Quote:> How about kicking down the make and model number, just we know what we
> are dealing with?

It's the Sony STR DE-475, as seen here:

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_126717_2718crx.aspx

As you can see, it has Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic decoding.

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by JB » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:49:17

Hmmm.  It said in the specs. that the unit has 1 optical (digital) input.
In this case, you just need to buy an optical cable.  Plug one end to the
receivers optical connector and the other to the advanced AV box.  I have
mine working that way.

JB..

> "BL" <Respond to Newsgroup> wrote in

> > How about kicking down the make and model number, just we know what we
> > are dealing with?

> It's the Sony STR DE-475, as seen here:

> http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_126717_2718crx.aspx

> As you can see, it has Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic decoding.

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by Irongu » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:13:16

Also, try looking for a receiver at your local pawn shop. Stereo stuff is
some of the first things people pawn when their in financial trouble. It may
take some time but it may pay off big time. The 5.1 is definitely
worthwhile. If you wanna go new and cheap, check out the JVC line of
receivers.

Also, even if you could maghically split the optical out and plug them into
speakers, what would you be doing with 5.1 speakers without a receiver?

> Hmmm.  It said in the specs. that the unit has 1 optical (digital) input.
> In this case, you just need to buy an optical cable.  Plug one end to the
> receivers optical connector and the other to the advanced AV box.  I have
> mine working that way.

> JB..

> > "BL" <Respond to Newsgroup> wrote in

> > > How about kicking down the make and model number, just we know what we
> > > are dealing with?

> > It's the Sony STR DE-475, as seen here:

> > http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_126717_2718crx.aspx

> > As you can see, it has Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic decoding.

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by Philip Smit » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 06:34:08

Quote:> Also, try looking for a receiver at your local pawn shop. Stereo stuff
> is some of the first things people pawn when their in financial
> trouble. It may take some time but it may pay off big time. The 5.1 is
> definitely worthwhile. If you wanna go new and cheap, check out the
> JVC line of receivers.

> Also, even if you could maghically split the optical out and plug them
> into speakers, what would you be doing with 5.1 speakers without a
> receiver?

I'm lost... I already have a Sony receiver... what do you mean?

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by Dan Corba » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 01:03:15

What you are basically asking for is a standalone Dolby Digital decoder.
Those "6x RCA" inputs that you have on your receiver are analog (most likely
intended for SACD input). There are not any cables or cheap adapters that
you can buy that will allow a fiber optic to analog connection. You need a
standalone Dolby Digital decoder or a receiver with more than one optical
input (I am assuming that you are not just using your existing optical
digital input because it is in use already).

Quote:> I have the Advanced AV Pack and a 5.1 receiver that has 6 x RCA surround
> inputs (front left, front centre, front right, rear left, rear right,
> subwoofer).  Is there a cable that can take the AV Pack's TOS output and
> split it into these 6 outputs?  All I've seen is a TOSLink-to-digital
> cable, but not a TOSLink-to-6channel cable...?

Surround sound TOSLink cable question

Post by Philip Smit » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:15:50

Quote:> What you are basically asking for is a standalone Dolby Digital
> decoder. Those "6x RCA" inputs that you have on your receiver are
> analog (most likely intended for SACD input). There are not any cables
> or cheap adapters that you can buy that will allow a fiber optic to
> analog connection. You need a standalone Dolby Digital decoder or a
> receiver with more than one optical input (I am assuming that you are
> not just using your existing optical digital input because it is in
> use already).

Yes, my single optical digital input is used by my LG DVD player.

1. surround sound cable

hi,
  I just got a 4.1 surround sound gaming speaker set for
my computer. I want to buy the cable that allows me to
hook it up to my xbox. I have just a regualr tv with av
inputs...and my speakers only require the black and the
green inputs(on my comp), What is the right cable tha I
should get?
thanx

2. Unable to print e-mail from OE6

3. surround sound question

4. DBCombo

5. Just 1 Question bout Surround Sound?

6. hit counters resetting back to 0

7. surround sound questions

8. footnote in section heading

9. Surround Sound Question

10. question for Boid about dobly surround sound

11. surround sound advanced av pack question

12. Surround Sound Question

13. Monster Brand TOSLINK (Optical) Cable