DVD Playback Kit

Post by silverx1 » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:28:58

Okay, why exactly does the XBOX need the DVD playback kit
to play DVD's?  In my humble opinion, I think that the
XBOX game controllers would be more than capable of
manipulating DVD menus and so on.  Oh well, I guess it's
one more way for Microsoft to make a buck...  According to
my dad, Microsoft is getting the shaft of the deal,
because they are selling the system itself for $299.99,
which is $100.00 less than it takes them to manufacture
it, so I guess they've gotta make up for it with the
peripherals.  Oh well, one more toy for me to buy.  And if
they're going to make people buy expansion kits (in this
case, the DVD playback kit), why in the hell don't they
make more than one for every six XBOX units (or so I've
heard)?  Come on Microsoft, get with the program!

DVD Playback Kit

Post by John Eckar » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:40:12

You're already saving $100 (according to your dad) so why are you complaining? Use some of that $100 to buy the DVD playback kit.

> Okay, why exactly does the XBOX need the DVD playback kit
> to play DVD's?  In my humble opinion, I think that the
> XBOX game controllers would be more than capable of
> manipulating DVD menus and so on.  Oh well, I guess it's
> one more way for Microsoft to make a buck...  According to
> my dad, Microsoft is getting the shaft of the deal,
> because they are selling the system itself for $299.99,
> which is $100.00 less than it takes them to manufacture
> it, so I guess they've gotta make up for it with the
> peripherals.  Oh well, one more toy for me to buy.  And if
> they're going to make people buy expansion kits (in this
> case, the DVD playback kit), why in the hell don't they
> make more than one for every six XBOX units (or so I've
> heard)?  Come on Microsoft, get with the program!

DVD Playback Kit

Post by <speechi.. » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:34:01

OKAY!!! THIS IS THE REASON THAT MICROSOFT DOESN'T LET YOU
USE THE DVD FUNTION RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! Any peice of
electronic equitment that funtions as a DVD player must
pay a liscensing fee to MOTION PICTURE STUDIOS of AMERICA.
Therefor, if the XBOX shipped as a working DVD player,
like PS2, then you all the people out there who don't use
the Xbox as a DVD player would be paying more for it,
because of the liscensing fee. If you get the remote, then
YOU pay the liscensing fee, not the rest of the people who
don't want to play DVDs. As for under production of the
kits, microsoft is just dumb. But not including the remote
SAVES MOST GAMERS MONEY!!!!!

DVD Playback Kit

Post by John Gamo » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 00:12:13

well at least you won't have top buy a nic card or a
harddrive like the other console we talk about.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Okay, why exactly does the XBOX need the DVD playback
kit
>to play DVD's?  In my humble opinion, I think that the
>XBOX game controllers would be more than capable of
>manipulating DVD menus and so on.  Oh well, I guess it's
>one more way for Microsoft to make a buck...  According
>my dad, Microsoft is getting the shaft of the deal,
>because they are selling the system itself for $299.99,
>which is $100.00 less than it takes them to manufacture
>it, so I guess they've gotta make up for it with the
>peripherals.  Oh well, one more toy for me to buy.  And
if
>they're going to make people buy expansion kits (in this
>case, the DVD playback kit), why in the hell don't they
>make more than one for every six XBOX units (or so I've
>heard)?  Come on Microsoft, get with the program!
>.

DVD Playback Kit

Post by 1TruBitc » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 02:28:07

Here cube fanboy, eat this.
HAA,HA..Haaahaaa!  This should seal Nintendo's Fate!
HAA,HA..Haaahaaa!

Gamecube Hacked Already
 -According to a number of sources, Nintendo's new console "GameCube" has
already been hacked in Hong Kong and is able to play pirated games. If true,
this will be one of the fastest hacks for a new console and a serious blow
to Nintendo.
 -An add-on is required to play pirated games due to the physical size of
the GameCube CD Drive being too small to accommodate normal CDs. The add-on
is simply plugged into the GameCube's expansion port and has its own DVD/CD
drive built in.
 -Similar add-ons were manufactured for the N64 and SNES in Hong Kong and
became widely available claiming the devices were for "back-up purposes
only". It remains to be seen how hard this will hit Nintendo after the
overall failure of the N64.

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=23923&cid=2582793&pid=2582793&sta...
hreshold=-1&mode=nested&commentsort=0&op=Change

Quote:> Okay, why exactly does the XBOX need the DVD playback kit
> to play DVD's?  In my humble opinion, I think that the
> XBOX game controllers would be more than capable of
> manipulating DVD menus and so on.  Oh well, I guess it's
> one more way for Microsoft to make a buck...  According to
> my dad, Microsoft is getting the shaft of the deal,
> because they are selling the system itself for $299.99,
> which is $100.00 less than it takes them to manufacture
> it, so I guess they've gotta make up for it with the
> peripherals.  Oh well, one more toy for me to buy.  And if
> they're going to make people buy expansion kits (in this
> case, the DVD playback kit), why in the hell don't they
> make more than one for every six XBOX units (or so I've
> heard)?  Come on Microsoft, get with the program!

DVD Playback Kit

Post by Richard Bollar, MV » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:20:25

Microsoft's Derek Smith says:

Also, to clear up another common misconception, the reason
the DVD kit is sold separately is because the DVD consortium charges a
licensing fee for DVD playback capability.  If we built DVD playback into
every Xbox, we'd have to charge everyone an extra $30, whether they want DVD
playback or not.

--
RB - MVP Microsoft Money
I do not work for Microsoft.

Quote:> Okay, why exactly does the XBOX need the DVD playback kit
> to play DVD's?  In my humble opinion, I think that the
> XBOX game controllers would be more than capable of
> manipulating DVD menus and so on.  Oh well, I guess it's
> one more way for Microsoft to make a buck...  According to
> my dad, Microsoft is getting the shaft of the deal,
> because they are selling the system itself for $299.99,
> which is $100.00 less than it takes them to manufacture
> it, so I guess they've gotta make up for it with the
> peripherals.  Oh well, one more toy for me to buy.  And if
> they're going to make people buy expansion kits (in this
> case, the DVD playback kit), why in the hell don't they
> make more than one for every six XBOX units (or so I've
> heard)?  Come on Microsoft, get with the program!

DVD Playback Kit

Post by silverx1 » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:08:32

The reason that I'm complaining is not because of the
price...  I mean hell, $29.99 for a DVD playback kit is
pocket change for me right now...  The reason that I'm
complaining is because they aren't really available
anywhere right now...  Because like I also said, I've
heard that one DVD playback kit is manufactured for every
six XBOX units created.  And that, sir, is why I'm
complaining.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----