Where can I find information about licensing Halo play at my lan business?

Where can I find information about licensing Halo play at my lan business?

Post by Bradl » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:00:55

I'm thinking about setting up some big tv's and xbox consoles at my
lan business for people to pay to play halo on weekends.

Do I need to get a license from microsoft to use the consoles and
copies of Halo?  Or do I only need to purchase the equipment and
copies of the game? What are the legalities surrounding this?

Thanks,

Brad

Where can I find information about licensing Halo play at my lan business?

Post by Dark_Blad » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:43:19

Did you try emailing Microsoft or Bungie?

Quote:> I'm thinking about setting up some big tv's and xbox consoles at my
> lan business for people to pay to play halo on weekends.

> Do I need to get a license from microsoft to use the consoles and
> copies of Halo?  Or do I only need to purchase the equipment and
> copies of the game? What are the legalities surrounding this?

> Thanks,

> Brad

Where can I find information about licensing Halo play at my lan business?

Post by Eric Pobir » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:18:42

    You would be in nearly the same circumstance as any shop that rents
games for use on the customer's own equipment. Massive chains like
Blockbuster and Hollywood Video have arrangements with their content
suppliers so as to make them see as an ally rather than an enemy. This is
why high rental chart placements are now touted as a mark of success rather
than a measure of how many sales were lost to a small number of disc shared
among a very large number of people.

    Unless your business took on huge proportions akin to a major video
chain it's unlikely you would ever encounter any legal issues but it would
be best to have all of that clearly defined before you proceed as both state
and federal laws must be considered.

    One item to be on guard for is game ratings. Some states have laws
making the sales  and rentals of 'M' rated games to *s only not just a
recommendation but a legal requirement.

    If you examine the fine print section of any game manual you will almost
without fail find a line forbidding you to use the game as a rental property
without express permission or license. This does not constitute a contract
in
of itself and is subject to the local laws of where you operate your
business.

    Microsoft certainly doesn't seem to mind the rental of systems running
Windows. Part of one of my employer's businesses (www.locationconnect.com)
does exactly this in the form of our Friendlyway internet kiosk. Microsoft
themselves used several of these kiosks (the brand but not our units) at
their last E3 booth, so it isn't as though they're unaware of it.

    If in doubt, consult a lawyer. Gather as much information as possible on
your own first and get it well organized. This can go a long ways toward
reducing the cost.

    My searching did produce this document but it is for Australia and can
only be applied there. Similar law may pertain in your region but best to be
sure. It's far cheaper to take out some insurance in the form of purchasing
professional legal advice before it comes down to hiring a defense lawyer at
much greater cost. Make sure the lawyer's terms of service include make him
responsible for backing up his claim at no additional cost to you if
litigation should occur.

> Did you try emailing Microsoft or Bungie?

> > I'm thinking about setting up some big tv's and xbox consoles at my
> > lan business for people to pay to play halo on weekends.

> > Do I need to get a license from microsoft to use the consoles and
> > copies of Halo?  Or do I only need to purchase the equipment and
> > copies of the game? What are the legalities surrounding this?

> > Thanks,

> > Brad

Where can I find information about licensing Halo play at my lan business?

Post by Eric Pobir » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:21:16

Quote:

>     My searching did produce this document but it is for Australia and can
> only be applied there. Similar law may pertain in your region but best to
be
> sure. It's far cheaper to take out some insurance in the form of
purchasing
> professional legal advice before it comes down to hiring a defense lawyer
at
> much greater cost. Make sure the lawyer's terms of service include make
him
> responsible for backing up his claim at no additional cost to you if
> litigation should occur.

    Oops, left this out:

http://www.copyright.org.au/PDF/InfoSheets/G055v03.pdf

Where can I find information about licensing Halo play at my lan business?

Post by John Hiller » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:29:49

NO you do not!

don't charge them toplay halo, charge them to use you setup!

provide HALO along with other games for FREE!

it is all in how you market it.

Quote:> I'm thinking about setting up some big tv's and xbox consoles at my
> lan business for people to pay to play halo on weekends.

> Do I need to get a license from microsoft to use the consoles and
> copies of Halo?  Or do I only need to purchase the equipment and
> copies of the game? What are the legalities surrounding this?

> Thanks,

> Brad

Where can I find information about licensing Halo play at my lan business?

Post by BL » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:53:48

I'm beginning to think your name is not John Hillery.

Don't ask.

--
-BL
Gamertag: Leadfoot

1. ArcView Licenses over a LAN

Hi, all,
I called ESRI on this several months ago, but got a less-than-useful
response.  I am trying keep my office legal.  We have several licenses for
ArcView and want to serve them over a local area network, but we need to
make sure that the number of licenses used concurrently does not exceed the
number we have purchased.  So, I am looking for some license management or
"counting" software. Does anyone know of anything that might fit the bill?
We are a WindowsNT environment.

Thanks
Ron Santos

2. Redirected folders: Incosistant access

3. ARIZONA LAN EVENT'S & 1,000 DOLLAR HALO TOURN.

4. size of complex<double>?

5. West Virginia - Xbox/Halo LAN party

6. Import Problem: Need Help

7. Xbox/Halo LAN party - WV - Huntington/Charleston area

8. How to modify the name of a webpart during runtime

9. Halo Lan Party South Alabama?

10. Halo on LAN Connection

11. LAN play