Extension for controller cables

Post by Randy Kin » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 04:39:03

Without comment on my motives, please, has anyone
attempted extending the controller cables using regular
USB extension cables (the kind that have the built-in
hub) or a converter that allows USB over CAT5 cabling?

WRK

Extension for controller cables

Post by Nick Wilso » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 06:42:46

In the mean time, why not just get an extension on the video cables instead?

- SoH

Quote:> dont do that!!!! you will ruin the controller for sure. Im
> sure an extension will come out soon enough. its just not
> worth the $40 if you*it up.

Post by Randy Kin » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:06:32

My problem with extending on the audio/video side is the
Tolink audio. Converting to coax PCM then sending 35ft
then amplified and back to Toslink is expensive and error
prone, not to mention signal the degradation I would get
on the analog RGB cables.  I would much rather extend a
digital connection with a known protocol for extension
(USB extends beyond 15 ft by using a new hub as a
repeater for the signal).  If the controller ports are
hooked up to a standard USB chipset, then I should be
able to extend them utilizing USB protocol based
extenders or converters.

WRK

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>In the mean time, why not just get an extension on the

video cables instead?

>- SoH

message

>> dont do that!!!! you will ruin the controller for
sure. Im
>> sure an extension will come out soon enough. its just
not
>> worth the $40 if you*it up.

Post by <xTenn> » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:00:07

Just four comments:

1. 35 Ft?  Just exactly how big of a screen are we talking about?  You are
trying to be cheap and use your neighbor's TV, aren't you? ;)

2. The USB pinout is different on the XBox because of the increased power
demand for the Rumble controllers.  Not saying that you couldn't use a
repeater, but you would have to either disable the rumble on the controllers
used, or make a patch box at the end in order to properly handle the power
reqs.

3. Call MadCatz and demand the wireless controllers early.  They are
supposed to be good for up to 40 ft.

4. Get the new JoyBox that allows you to use PS2 controllers with the XBox.
Then go buy the PS2 wireless controllers, which will hold you until the XBox
version comes out.

Good Luck

Post by NEO » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:58:19

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Without comment on my motives, please, has anyone
>attempted extending the controller cables using regular
>USB extension cables (the kind that have the built-in
>hub) or a converter that allows USB over CAT5 cabling?

>WRK
>.

you motives are fruitless....
extension cables for xbox controllers are like the last
thing anyone needs, psshh! plus they're comming out with
wiresless controllers for those of you who play your games
on the other side of the house using mirrors to see the tv
screen 70+ feet away around corners halways etc....
happy trails USBMON <--thats jamaican cross between
pokeMON and usbmon

Extension for controller cables

Post by Koos du Pree » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:55:07

Wont work, the voltages on the xbox USB is higher than normal usb, you will
either fry your usb hub, or even worse, fry your xbox..

Quote:> Without comment on my motives, please, has anyone
> attempted extending the controller cables using regular
> USB extension cables (the kind that have the built-in
> hub) or a converter that allows USB over CAT5 cabling?

> WRK

Extension for controller cables

Post by Danee » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:58:21

Quote:

> you motives are fruitless....
> extension cables for xbox controllers are like the last
> thing anyone needs, psshh!

My, don't we think highly of our own opinion. Apparently, extension cables
for xbox controllers are like the last thing YOU need.

Daneel

Extension for controller cables

Post by Randy Kin » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 01:21:07

Ah yes, the voltage for the rumble makes sense.  Perhaps
if I added a matching power supply at the hub, of course
I will have to hack the USB hub.

As far a burning out my XBox or a USB hub, you guys just
don't know me.  I have destroyed MUCH more expensive
items with my tinkering.  Think of it as an expensive
hobby.

WRK

BTW, the reason for 35ft (more like 25) is that my
equipment sits in a fan cooled closet off of my
den/theater.  Cuts down on the clutter and noise.

1. Controller Cable Extensions

Can someone please provide me with a URL where I can
purchase the cable extension for my controllers.  I have
heard that there are some independent companies that are
manufacturing them.  I have tried Amazon, Buy.com but I
can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks in advance

JF

2. LOWEND SS7 & ISDN Analyzer

3. controller extension cables

4. Problem with RCA Cable Modem on DLink USB 2.0 7 Port Hub

5. XBox Extension cables for controller

6. WTB: Sun/Force SPARC 1 6U VME Boards

7. Controller extension cables

8. A New Game Idea.