Ok to play xbox on projection tv?

Post by Jollja » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:28:08

I have a Sony 53" Hi-Scan 1080i Projection TV. It is
fairly new. Is it ok to play my xbox on it. I ask this
because of the whole burning a image due to static images.
I understand it is dangerous to leave it paused for a long
time, but does this mean that images like in morrwind(
your life and weapon status window taht stays in the same
location)will burn a image into the tv?

Some one please inform me

Thank you
Jason
Dallas, TX

Ok to play xbox on projection tv?

Post by xTen » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:52:23

Quote:> I have a Sony 53" Hi-Scan 1080i Projection TV. It is
> fairly new. Is it ok to play my xbox on it. I ask this
> because of the whole burning a image due to static images.
> I understand it is dangerous to leave it paused for a long
> time, but does this mean that images like in morrwind(
> your life and weapon status window taht stays in the same
> location)will burn a image into the tv?

> Some one please inform me

> Thank you
> Jason
> Dallas, TX

Turn down the contrast.  Factory settings have the contrast very high,
because a nice, bright image is a unit seller.Keep it down around 50 if your
unit is 100 based as most are.

Yes, there are static images on a lot of games (Health indicators, etc.),
but I wouldn't be concerned unless they are a high contrast  (Imagine a pure
white indicator against a black background), and if so then switch games or
watch another source after a few hours.  One of the best ways to protect a
RPTV is to use it for more than one purpose, for example, watch tv and play
games on it.  In this way it ensures a more even use pattern on the screen.

Perhaps the best thing I can say is to tell you that I've had a 61" Toshiba
RPTV that gets abused with both the computer and the xbox, and so far it is
doing fine (It has been the source of many xbox marathons since Nov. 15th).

Even without video games I still suggest turning down the contrast levels if
you watch very many letterbox movies, such as DVDs, etc, and it is a 4:3
set.

Post by Jollyja » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:14:56

> [...]

Quote:>unit is 100 based as most are.

>Yes, there are static images on a lot of games (Health
indicators, etc.),
>but I wouldn't be concerned unless they are a high

contrast  (Imagine a pure
Quote:>white indicator against a black background), and if so

then switch games or
Quote:>watch another source after a few hours.  One of the best
ways to protect a
>RPTV is to use it for more than one purpose, for example,
watch tv and play
>games on it.  In this way it ensures a more even use

pattern on the screen.
Quote:

>Perhaps the best thing I can say is to tell you that I've
had a 61" Toshiba
>RPTV that gets abused with both the computer and the

xbox, and so far it is
Quote:>doing fine (It has been the source of many xbox marathons
since Nov. 15th).

>Even without video games I still suggest turning down the
contrast levels if
>you watch very many letterbox movies, such as DVDs, etc,
and it is a 4:3
>set.

>.

Thanks for you help. I kinda figured it would take a lot
of sitting still time for an image to burned into the tv.
But I will take a look into the contrast settings.

Thanks for you help
Jason
Dallas, TX

Ok to play xbox on projection tv?

Post by Shybox » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:21:47

not really that good coz i watch a dvd using X-box with a
projection TV and it made a small line's on my TV

Quote:>games on it.  In this way it ensures a more even use

pattern on the screen.
Quote:

>Perhaps the best thing I can say is to tell you that

I've had a 61" Toshiba
Quote:>RPTV that gets abused with both the computer and the

xbox, and so far it is
Quote:>doing fine (It has been the source of many xbox

marathons since Nov. 15th).
Quote:

>Even without video games I still suggest turning down

the contrast levels if

Quote:>you watch very many letterbox movies, such as DVDs, etc,
and it is a 4:3
>set.

>.

Ok to play xbox on projection tv?

Post by xTen » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:32:53

Quote:> not really that good coz i watch a dvd using X-box with a
> projection TV and it made a small line's on my TV

If you have small lines on your tv from watching a single DVD, then you have
got something wrong.  Check your wiring, see if you have a floating ground
or bad connector,  Maybe you are using an RFU connection close to an
interference source, etc.

If you feel this is not the case, then what kind of lines are they?  There
may be lines on your screen, no doubt, but I doubt if they are from burn in.
Maybe your TV is having some problems?  How would you describe the lines?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but what you describe doesn't seem to make
sense, at least in the way that I read your post.

Post by Shinob » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:56:59

Quote:> not really that good coz i watch a dvd using X-box with a
> projection TV and it made a small line's on my TV

You didn't really go into any detail, so, I'll have to make some wild
assumptions here.

I assume by "small lines" you mean many (about 240) horizontal lines. If so,
I further assume you are using a non-HDTV type projection set. In which
case, you are simply seeing the interlaced scan lines. As the screen gets
larger and the picture gets sharper (like a DVD), the picture components get
more and more visible.

The answer here is to get a better set or sit further away from the screen.
Buy a nice HDTV set and there will be no more scan lines. Even though the
Xbox isn't providing a progressive scan image, the set will line double the
image which will eliminate the interlace and the scan lines.

Ok to play xbox on projection tv?

Post by Cam Sope » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:09:30

Another shining example of why I respect you.  I would've replied with a
flame.  :)

> > not really that good coz i watch a dvd using X-box with a
> > projection TV and it made a small line's on my TV

> If you have small lines on your tv from watching a single DVD, then you
have
> got something wrong.  Check your wiring, see if you have a floating ground
> or bad connector,  Maybe you are using an RFU connection close to an
> interference source, etc.

> If you feel this is not the case, then what kind of lines are they?  There
> may be lines on your screen, no doubt, but I doubt if they are from burn
in.
> Maybe your TV is having some problems?  How would you describe the lines?

> Sorry to ask so many questions, but what you describe doesn't seem to make
> sense, at least in the way that I read your post.

1. Projection TVs OK w/ XBox?

I have tried a couple of other systems plugged into my Projection TV and the
output was not very nice (Dreamcast, N64)... any word on how an XBox would
do on a big screen projection TV?  I am aware of the default warnings about
display burn-in and such.  Thanks!

2. Apparent Region Bug

3. Projection tv and xbox

4. Telebit Requests Information

5. Xbox & Projection TVs

6. SMISERVER spec

7. xbox and projection tv

8. Reinventing Wheel

9. XBOX and SOny Projection TV's

10. Xbox and Projection TV

11. Projection TV and XBOX

12. XBOX and Projection TV's

13. play xbox games on 100inch tv learn how