setting the from: domain _AND_ user?

Post by Lars Hofhan » Wed, 03 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

my internet provider assign a different IP-Address and a different Hostname
to me every time I'm connecting to the internet.
But I have an unique E-Mail-Address.

What I want to do is setting the from: and reply-to: to my unique
EMail-Address.
The problem is, that on my machine I have another username than
on the mailserver, and I understood, that the alias database is only
used for the to: field.

Example:
local name is:

        ^^^^

Email address is:

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please relax if this is FAQ, but I was not able to find anything the like.

        Lars

Post by Brad Knowl » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

> my internet provider assign a different IP-Address and a different Hostname
> to me every time I'm connecting to the internet.
> But I have an unique E-Mail-Address.

    [ ... deletia ... ]

> Example:
> local name is:

>    ^^^^

> Email address is:

If your hostname changes (or can change) every time you log in, I'm not
aware of anything sendmail can do for you directly to help you out in this
situation.  Basically, you're going to need to use a Mail Relay that would
re-write all your outbound mail, and all your inbound mail would need to
come to a central mail server where it's queued until you call in again.

To the best of my knowledge, the Mail Relay would need the IDA non-local
mailertable code, so that it could re-write addresses for/from machines
other than itself.  I saw some posts a while back from somebody that had
taken this code and ported it to V8, but I haven't seen anything from them
since.

Good luck.  I'm sure you're not the only one in this boat, but I'm not
aware of any good solutions for you right now.

The comp.mail.sendmail FAQ is located at:

    <URL:ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/mail/sendmail-faq>

Want to know about the latest version of BIND?  Check out:

    <URL:http://www.isc.org/isc/>

setting the from: domain _AND_ user?

Post by Lars Hofhans » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

Thanks Brad,

>> my internet provider assign a different IP-Address and a different Hostname
>> to me every time I'm connecting to the internet.
>> But I have an unique E-Mail-Address.

>    [ ... deletia ... ]

>> Example:
>> local name is:

>>        ^^^^

>> Email address is:

>If your hostname changes (or can change) every time you log in, I'm not
>aware of anything sendmail can do for you directly to help you out in this
>situation.  Basically, you're going to need to use a Mail Relay that would
>re-write all your outbound mail, and all your inbound mail would need to
>come to a central mail server where it's queued until you call in again.

There IS a central mailserver (that's what I meant with the unique
Email-Address).
However, I think I was not clear about that point...

What I want to do is setting the from: field to the literal string

where the name of mailserver does not change (so the address is unique
and does not change).
How can I use the alias-database for from: names?

[... deleted]

        Lars

setting the from: domain _AND_ user?

Post by Lars Hofhans » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

[some stuff]

>There IS a central mailserver (that's what I meant with the unique
>Email-Address).
>However, I think I was not clear about that point...

>What I want to do is setting the from: field to the literal string

>where the name of mailserver does not change (so the address is unique
>and does not change).
>How can I use the alias-database for from: names?

[deleted]

Ok, forget that. I read the FAQ, but I read it not carful enough.
The only problem is (or seems to be) that I don't have the
berkeley db-package installed... That's why the user-databayse doesn't work as
exected...

Sorry,
        lars

1. How to set from line to user@domain.com rather than user@machine.domain.com?

Subject says it all: I was running 8.6SMI under Solaris, but wanted to get
all the spam filtering benefits of 8.8.8.  So, I built 8.8.8 using the
standard configuration, basically only setting the domain name.  Now,
though, when other people receive mail from this machine, the from line

Unfortunately (and obviously :-) ) I'm not a sendmail guru...thanks!

2. FS: Sun E250's

3. RELAYING to/from domain _AND_ host.otherdomain

4. Need Help with FPE, R-squared & Robust Estimation

5. changing FROM: user@host.domain.com --> FROM: user@domain.com

6. Enabling/Disabling the MMU

7. Q: best way for user@host.domain to user@domain in sendmail.cf

8. ZX81 Listings