Maximum RCPT TO:s before pipe reset? Please no.

Maximum RCPT TO:s before pipe reset? Please no.

Post by Andrew Donki » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I run a list server and funnel most of my outgoing mail through a kindly
remailer with the help of a mailertable.  This would be fine, except
sendmail 8.8.8 only seems to send 22 to 24 "RCPT To:" lines before the
content, then resets the pipe with "RSET" and does it all again with the
next batch of subscribers.

I'd like the content shipped just the once.  That's the idea of the
remailer.

The conversation looks like this, my additions in square brackets:

-----------------8<-----------------------------------
Using cached ESMTP connection to [remailer] via smtp...
250 Sender <[me]> and extensions (SIZE=16218) Ok

Quote:>>> RCPT To:<[a subscriber]>

250 Recipient <[a subscriber]> Ok
Quote:>>> RCPT To:<[another subscriber]>

250 Recipient <[another subscriber]> Ok

[20 to 22 more RCPT To: / 250 pairs]

Quote:>>> DATA

354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
Quote:>>> .

Quote:>>> RSET

250 Ok resetting state

[process repeats with different subscribers]
-----------------8<-----------------------------------

Yes, I've looked through the sendmail docs and I can't find any mention of
an upper limit.  The only trace of this problem I can find at dejanews or
reference.com is an unanswered question like mine, and a mention of someone
hacking an upper limit *into* sendmail.

RFC821 states there is no limit to the number of "RCPT To:" lines.  Is
there a sendmail option to enable this?  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance -

School of Computing & Mathematical Sciences, Waikato University New Zealand

Post by SysAdmi » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I run a list server and funnel most of my outgoing mail through a kindly
> remailer with the help of a mailertable.  This would be fine, except
> sendmail 8.8.8 only seems to send 22 to 24 "RCPT To:" lines before the
> content, then resets the pipe with "RSET" and does it all again with the
> next batch of subscribers.
> I'd like the content shipped just the once.  That's the idea of the
> remailer.
> The conversation looks like this, my additions in square brackets:

<snipped quoted conversation>

Quote:> Yes, I've looked through the sendmail docs and I can't find any mention of
> an upper limit.  The only trace of this problem I can find at dejanews or
> reference.com is an unanswered question like mine, and a mention of someone
> hacking an upper limit *into* sendmail.
> RFC821 states there is no limit to the number of "RCPT To:" lines.  Is
> there a sendmail option to enable this?  What am I missing?

I believe the RFCs state that compliant systems have to have buffer
space for at least 20 addresses (the number may be wrong but the concept
should be correct) and it is up to the implementation to deal correctly
with more than whatevr limit they place on one batch of addresses.

Basically, if you can, switch or hack your sendmail to accept more
addresses in a batch.  The RFCs do not guarantee that you will be able
to do what you want to do on a randomly selected MTU.  In fact, they
suggest you will NOT be able to do what you want.

## Reply to user fg at domain portal.com ##