Sendmail Version 11.6 is not accepting email address to be accepted from spam filtering

Sendmail Version 11.6 is not accepting email address to be accepted from spam filtering

Post by Sendmail Administrator Lu » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:51:27

I have Sendmail v11.6 installed on my system.
I have it configured to block spam using dns black listing.
That works great.
I configure the /etc/mail/access file to accept email from certain addresses,
and therefore not apply any spam filtering rules.

This does not appear to be working.
Even after restarting sendmail.

It will accept mail from particular domains, but not from just particular users.

Here is my sample /etc/mail/access file
entry:
#this is the sample email address of the person I wish to accept.

If I add this entree in for a domain that is currently filtered by a blacklist
with this line, it will accept the mail.
hotmail.com OK

Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

--Luke Unix Sysadmin Computer Science MSU-Bozeman

Post by Claus A?man » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:22:02

> I have Sendmail v11.6 installed on my system.

8.11.6 probably...

> I have it configured to block spam using dns black listing.
> That works great.
> I configure the /etc/mail/access file to accept email from certain addresses,
> and therefore not apply any spam filtering rules.
> This does not appear to be working.
> Even after restarting sendmail.
> #this is the sample email address of the person I wish to accept.

See cf/README: delay_checks.

You need that feature to make this work.

--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

Post by Neil W Ricker » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:04:50

>I have Sendmail v11.6 installed on my system.
>I have it configured to block spam using dns black listing.
>That works great.
>I configure the /etc/mail/access file to accept email from certain addresses,
>and therefore not apply any spam filtering rules.
>This does not appear to be working.
>Even after restarting sendmail.
>It will accept mail from particular domains, but not from just particular users.
>Here is my sample /etc/mail/access file
>entry:
>#this is the sample email address of the person I wish to accept.

>If I add this entree in for a domain that is currently filtered by a blacklist
>with this line, it will accept the mail.
>hotmail.com OK
>Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

I can explain what is happening.  Sendmail tests based on sender
information, connection information, recipient information.  These
tests are relatively independent.

the sender information.  But apparently this mail is being blocked on
the basis of connection information (hostname or ip address of the
sending system).  The decision to block has already been made before
the sender information is received, so sendmail already rejects that
sender information.

Your other entry "hotmail.com OK" applies to both connection
information and sender information.  So it does succeed in overruling
the blacklist you are checking.

One possibility would be for you to use

Connect:hotmail.com     OK

to overrule blocking on the connection information.  But then
also use

From:hotmail.com        REJECT

to block this mail on the sender information.  In that case

would allow mail from the one particular hotmail user.

Another possibility is to use `delay_checks', as Claus has
suggested.  This has the effect of reversing the order of tests, so
that the connection information is examined first.  But I think you
might still need to add a rule to "Local_check_mail" to achieve what
you want.

1. I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail,

no IM for msn, use exchange/messaging/outlook. there are separate
news groups for these products.

--

NOclubie,Nomvp,Noclubwin
Noteamgates, just

-- I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail, I get the
following
message:

the mail server name cannot be found . Please check your Internet
Mail
configuration, Network connection , and TCP/IP configuration and
retry.  If
this persists, contact your LAN administrator or Internet provider.

need a hand

----------

2. Can't bring up lan0 on B160L

3. I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail

4. AS400/ BPICS in Westchester, NY

5. Mail Accepted/Not Accepted

6. Online Order MS Money - Standard for Canada

7. problem compiling Ray's Mail Filter for Sendmail-8.11.6

8. Casing for Libretto

9. Need to accept mail from site before anti-spam filters reject it

10. how to check what version of sendmail I am running

11. Silly newbie question - what version of sendmail am I running?

12. How do I tell if the version of sendmail I am using has security bugs?

13. Do not accept email from domain which does not have MX record defined