beginning of message marker

Post by Noah Pac » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

what is the marker for the beginning of a mail message? Is it as simple
as the From line?  What happens if someone puts From in the middle of
their message on a blank line?

I have been looking around but I cannot find any information on this
basic topic(probably too simple to even document, but I need to be
certain i am not parsing the mail file incorrectly.)

Thanks for any help

Noah Paci

beginning of message marker

Post by Jim Brita » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>what is the marker for the beginning of a mail message? Is it as simple
>as the From line?  What happens if someone puts From in the middle of
>their message on a blank line?

If you're referring to the spool file, it's two or more newlines
followed by a line beginning with "From " (including the space)  The
"From", obviously must be the first word in the new message.

AND the block must contain a From: line before the next blank line.

1. sendmail 8.x taking single dot on a line as end of message marker

   It seems like the 8.x version of sendmail which comes with HP-UX
   10.20 and recent HP-UX sendmail patches recognizes a single dot on an
   otherwise empty line to be the end of message marker thus cutting of
   the rest of the message in mail message sent out from the local
   machine. If I remember right in the 5.65 based versions of sendmail
   on 9.0x this used to be configurable in sendmail.cf. In the 8.x
   sendmail.cf I can't find any such configuration setting anymore.
   How can this beahvior be turned off in 8.x? It is causing mail
   messages distributed through mjordomo lists to be cut off.

The IgnoreDots option may be what you seek.  The bat book (2nd ed.)
indicates it's usually invoked from the command line rather than the .cf
file, but the former is workable.

You might also want to investigate the F=X mailer flag.

Regards,
--

     http://www.dc-sage.org/bios/rick_troxel  301/435-2983
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

2. PC starts up even when asked to shut down !

3. What is marker for EOF of mail message?

4. OS/2 2.11 - upgrade or standalone?

5. marker that sent messages received

6. Breaking into a cisco 2501 series router

7. beginning of messages/parsing

8. How to create owner draw listboxes ????

9. Blocking large messages before the transfer begins

10. changing quote marker from " > "

11. Forward934 forwarding markers

12. EOL Markers

13. + markers for long lines