running queue independent of daemon

Post by Rob Robi » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:29:21

hi all,
    i searched over the past posting and found that a posting that suggests
running
sendmail queue independent of daemon, that is instead of running:
    /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q15m
run:
   /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd
   /usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m

  The poster didn't say the reason. Any suggestions this can be a good idea
?

Thanks,
Rob

Post by Neil W Ricker » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:29:14

>hi all,
>    i searched over the past posting and found that a posting that suggests
>running
>sendmail queue independent of daemon, that is instead of running:
>    /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q15m
>run:
>   /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd
>   /usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m
>  The poster didn't say the reason. Any suggestions this can be a good idea
>?

The main difference is when you are using MaxDaemonChildren to limit
load, and your sendmail is almost always at the limit.  Then queue
runs are not started (due to MaxDaemonChildren).  But a separate
queue daemon would not count as a daemon child, and would continue to
initiate queue runs.

The other time it makes a difference is if you also use the "-C"
command line option to give the two different configurations.

1. Queue running daemon dies

Anybody else have trouble with sendmail accepting pieces of mail with corrupt
headers into /usr/spool/mqueue, but then have the sendmail queue daemon croak
when it goes to parse the header?  We have experienced this problem on several
versions of sendmail - most recently on sendmail 8.6.9 .  (We will upgrade to
sendmail 8.7.3 at end of semester.)

The real problem is, of course, that the "stuck" piece of mail causes all of
the mail to queue up, as the daemon never gets beyond the bad piece - yuck!

Anyone know if there's a fix for it, or if sendmail 8.7.3-8.7.5 fixes this?

249 Durham Center                            voice: (515) 294-9607
Iowa State University Computation Center     fax:   (515) 294-1717
Ames, Iowa 50011

2. no keyboard at login

3. sendmail 8.12 not running queue runs using -qp

4. Clarification re: licensing

5. Backup Mail server queues (without queue runs)

6. Testing DHCP Server?

7. Impact of multiple queue runs on non-empty queue ?

8. Any way to queue mail iff already running queue?

9. mail queued, but queue never runs

10. Queue Runs (max queue and sort order) ?

11. daemon could not open control socket /var/run/sendmail.control: Group writable directory

12. Interactive use of sendmail while daemon running ?