Setting up SpamAssassin to work with pine (or earlier with exim)

Setting up SpamAssassin to work with pine (or earlier with exim)

Post by Booom » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:09:54

I am having trouble finding directions on how to setup SpamAssassin to
filter email on a Linux server on which I have an account. SA has been
installed and there is a process /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/spamd -d -c
running as a root process. I have updated my .spamassassin/user_prefs
file to uncomment the required_hits line and added a whitelist_from
entry. I am not sure if this is enough, as I am not sure what to
expect when SA is running.

Is there someone type of daemon script that I need to setup and run
myself to 'auto-magically' scan my mail, or do I need to run a script
before accessing email via pine? Is there a way to get auto-magic
filtering, since I also use POP3/SMTP to retrieve mail from the server
(i.e. may not connect to server to run a local script).

Any and all hope GREATLY appreciated.
Sincerely,
SpamAssassin newbie!!!

Setting up SpamAssassin to work with pine (or earlier with exim)

Post by Ephraim Gadsb » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:59:51

Quote:>I am having trouble finding directions on how to setup SpamAssassin to
>filter email on a Linux server on which I have an account. SA has been
>installed and there is a process /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/spamd -d -c
>running as a root process. I have updated my .spamassassin/user_prefs
>file to uncomment the required_hits line and added a whitelist_from
>entry. I am not sure if this is enough, as I am not sure what to
>expect when SA is running.

>Is there someone type of daemon script that I need to setup and run
>myself to 'auto-magically' scan my mail, or do I need to run a script
>before accessing email via pine? Is there a way to get auto-magic
>filtering, since I also use POP3/SMTP to retrieve mail from the server
>(i.e. may not connect to server to run a local script).

Normally SA is run as part of the delivery process, if you want to use
it on pop-mail them you use fetchmail. You need to find out how to use
SA with your delivery process.

AFAIK spamd doesn't do anything by itself. Instead of calling SA
directly you can call a lightweight client, spamc, which passes the
email to spamd thereby reducing the perl initialization overhead. This
is worthwhile on systems with a lot of mail throughput.

Post by ne.. » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:47:57

> I am having trouble finding directions on how to setup SpamAssassin to
> filter email on a Linux server on which I have an account. SA has been
> installed and there is a process /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/spamd -d -c
> running as a root process. I have updated my .spamassassin/user_prefs
> file to uncomment the required_hits line and added a whitelist_from
> entry. I am not sure if this is enough, as I am not sure what to
> expect when SA is running.

> Is there someone type of daemon script that I need to setup and run
> myself to 'auto-magically' scan my mail, or do I need to run a script
> before accessing email via pine? Is there a way to get auto-magic
> filtering, since I also use POP3/SMTP to retrieve mail from the server
> (i.e. may not connect to server to run a local script).

I use procmail and fetchmail. Fetchmail pops the mail from
my isp. Procmail delivers to local users. My .promailrc
contains my filtering instructions as shown below.

============== ~/.procmailrc =================
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
LOGABSTRACT=all
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail       #you'd better make sure it exists
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/proclog   #recommended
VERBOSE=off
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/GEN

#Mailing list start
#If you subscribe to any mailing lists, you might want to filter them off first:
:0:

KDEDEVEL

#Spamassassin start
:0fw: spamassassin.lock
| /usr/bin/spamc

:0:
SPAM10

:0:
$DEFAULT

#Spamassassin end

HTH
--
Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.          |   '.invalid'

Post by Booom » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:59:22

> >I am having trouble finding directions on how to setup SpamAssassin to
> >filter email on a Linux server on which I have an account. SA has been
> >installed and there is a process /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/spamd -d -c
> >running as a root process. I have updated my .spamassassin/user_prefs
> >file to uncomment the required_hits line and added a whitelist_from
> >entry. I am not sure if this is enough, as I am not sure what to
> >expect when SA is running.

> >Is there someone type of daemon script that I need to setup and run
> >myself to 'auto-magically' scan my mail, or do I need to run a script
> >before accessing email via pine? Is there a way to get auto-magic
> >filtering, since I also use POP3/SMTP to retrieve mail from the server
> >(i.e. may not connect to server to run a local script).

> Normally SA is run as part of the delivery process, if you want to use
> it on pop-mail them you use fetchmail. You need to find out how to use
> SA with your delivery process.

> AFAIK spamd doesn't do anything by itself. Instead of calling SA
> directly you can call a lightweight client, spamc, which passes the
> email to spamd thereby reducing the perl initialization overhead. This
> is worthwhile on systems with a lot of mail throughput.

Ephraim:

Thanks. I am new at SA (and Linux). Do you have, or can you point to,
info on how to setup SA with Exim. I have looked at
http://bogmog.sourceforge.net/document_show.php3?doc_id=28 but much of
it is over my head. Is this dealing with setting up SA as part of the
deliveryt process?

For spamc, how do I get it to read an inbox and weed out potential
spam? Am I correct that this would then be 'post-delivery' processing
of email?

Thanks again!

Setting up SpamAssassin to work with pine (or earlier with exim)

Post by Booom » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:31:20

Akabi:

Thanks much. Trial and error led to a working SA setup.

I had to create a .procmail file and the basic SA config you provided
was a great starting point. I added a pine filter that turns off the
new flag for SA tagged SPAM, which I think is excluding it from POP
retrieved mail.

I learned a lot today. :->

1. using getmail, procmail, spamassassin, courier imap, exim and squirrelmail on debian

hi,

in the hope that it might be useful to someone (as well as documenting
my config for myself), i've described a moderately (using the
components above, but with only a couple of users) complex mail
configuration.  you can find it at
http://www.acooke.org/andrew/writing/email.html

please email me if there any errors (or some glaring security hole on
my machine that i've left open!).

quote from the page:

there are many documents describing how to configure email. i hope
this one is useful because:

    * it gives a description of a single, working system: the programs
mentioned all work; the overview shows how different programs,
implementing different tasks, are integrated.
    * each component is described with practical, useful details. even
if you are configuring a system that is different to mine, you may
find useful help on a particular task here.

thanks,
andrew

--
http://www.acooke.org/acooke

2. Anyone seen this phenomenon?

3. Save Password does not work and lock-ups

4. Free webspace - Help

5. exim 3.x to exim 4.x with ldap

6. Proxy versus Nat?

7. exim-queue-remover: easier way to remove mails from the exim queue

8. Canon BJ-200 REBATE

9. Setting score based on SpamAssassin score

10. Pine, AIX, and lock-ups

11. working with SPAMASSASSIN

12. Can't get Spamassassin to work using SPAMD/SPAMC

13. Pine freeze ups with clarkson tcp