Audio Problems-Sound Card, PC or both

Post by David Wagne » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I've been using NM to successfully talk with a couple of individuals so I
believe my system is working OK.  However, my college student daughters'
audio is so choppy that I can just barely understand her.  She has a
486DX100 with a brand X sound card and is connected to the internet using
the LAN at the college.

1.  Does this sound like a sound card problem or a PC problem, and

2.  What type of test can be performed to confirm the source of the problem?
She's a couple of states away so if a test is complex, it may be difficult
for her to perform.

Thanks for the help.

David Wagner

Audio Problems-Sound Card, PC or both

Post by Ciril Thoma » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

David -

How are you connected up to the 'net?  Via modem?  Its possible that your
daughter's NetMeeting is set for LAN bandwidth and is sending your PC too
high of an audio bitrate for the modem connection to handle.  One thing to
try is have  her set the bandwidth in Tools->Options->General to something
slower - like ISDN or 28.8 modem and see if that improves things.

Then start blaming the soundcard :-)

Ciril Thomas

>I've been using NM to successfully talk with a couple of individuals so I
>believe my system is working OK.  However, my college student daughters'
>audio is so choppy that I can just barely understand her.  She has a
>486DX100 with a brand X sound card and is connected to the internet using
>the LAN at the college.

>1.  Does this sound like a sound card problem or a PC problem, and

>2.  What type of test can be performed to confirm the source of the
problem?
>She's a couple of states away so if a test is complex, it may be difficult
>for her to perform.

>Thanks for the help.

>David Wagner

Audio Problems-Sound Card, PC or both

Post by David Wagne » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Well, I had her change the bandwidth to from LAN to 28.8 and it didn't make
any difference.  Her audio is still clipped and choppy.  Is there anything
else to try or is it time for a new sound card?

David Wagner

Ciril Thomas wrote One thing to

Quote:>try is have  her set the bandwidth in Tools->Options->General to something
>slower - like ISDN or 28.8 modem and see if that improves things.

>David Wagner wrote

I've been using NM to successfully talk with a couple of individuals so I
believe my system is working OK.  However, my college student daughters'
audio is so choppy that I can just barely understand her.  She has a
486DX100 with a brand X sound card and is connected to the internet using
the LAN at the college.

1.  Does this sound like a sound card problem or a PC problem, and

2.  What type of test can be performed to confirm the source of the
problem?

1. No audio & audio Tab, using 688 sound card --- Please help

I have the Pine 688 sound card. It works with all other applications.
The tune wizard passes through the tuning process but I still have no audio
in netmeeting 2 beta 4 build 1333.
In the directory I have no audio tab.
I also have a video capture card from Fast electronics Movie MAchine II &
it works great with netmeeting. The video tab is present in the directory.

Please help me ...Thanks alot.

James

2. DevDepot Offers 10% Off Eddy Award Developer Products

3. Audio problems with NM2.1 and Yamaha opl4-32 sound card

4. NT4 to Win2000: any advice?

5. Sound Blaster Vibra 16 card Audio Problems (one way speech only)

6. Are there any A64 ftp sites?

7. Audio Problems with Aptiva Mwave Sound Card and Microsoft Netmeeting

8. creating graphics for my platform game with a raytracer

9. help configuring audio in system with both audio card and video capture card???

10. Netmeeting 3.01, SW1000XG Sound Card Sound Problem

11. Sound problems with Crystal CS 4232/36/37/38 sound card.

12. More sound cards and access to audio channel

13. Pro Audio Sound Card