Unable to send external email from off-site location via LAN Exchange Server

Unable to send external email from off-site location via LAN Exchange Server

Post by Jo » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:03:13

Please Help!

We have an outside location that has recently been connected to the
Internet via an ISP.  Their email accounts are configured to access
out corpoarte Exchange server via POP3.

They can send/receive internal email and can only receive external
email.  When they try to send external email they receive the
following email message in their inbox:

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
rejected by the server.  The rejected email address was

'name.company.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 Requested
action not taken: mailbox name not allowed', Port: ###, ....Server
Error: 553"

I believe this is an authenication issue, because when I uncheck
"Hosts and clients that successfully authenicate" in the routing
section, they can send external email. But I don't want to leave this
unchecked for obvious reasons.

How to correct the problem to have them be able to send external
email?  What am I overlooking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Unable to send external email from off-site location via LAN Exchange Server

Post by Michael Santove » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:20:15

HOW TO: Prevent Exchange 2000 from Being Used as a Mail Relay in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310380

Use the following newsgroups for questions or problems with Exchange/Windows-Messaging

Also see: Slipstick Systems Outlook and Exchange Solutions Center
http://www.slipstick.com/index.htm

> Please Help!

> We have an outside location that has recently been connected to the
> Internet via an ISP.  Their email accounts are configured to access
> out corpoarte Exchange server via POP3.

> They can send/receive internal email and can only receive external
> email.  When they try to send external email they receive the
> following email message in their inbox:

> "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
> rejected by the server.  The rejected email address was

> 'name.company.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 Requested
> action not taken: mailbox name not allowed', Port: ###, ....Server
> Error: 553"

> I believe this is an authenication issue, because when I uncheck
> "Hosts and clients that successfully authenicate" in the routing
> section, they can send external email. But I don't want to leave this
> unchecked for obvious reasons.

> How to correct the problem to have them be able to send external
> email?  What am I overlooking?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks

> Joe

1. Use Sendmail for an Off-site mail server to connect to ISP's sendmail server

To all Gurus of Sendmail:

I do not know how to configure Sendmail box residing in my office to connect
to my ISP.  The details of the whole senerio is as follows:

Server in my office:
Redhat Linux 6.0 with Sendmail 8.9.3
ISDN Router to connect to ISP

ISP is running Sendmail 8.9.3 and is MXing my mail.

What I need to know is:

1. How do I setup my sendmail box to connect to my ISP every 10mins to send
mail out and to collect mail?

2. Can I do this job by using virtual IPs?  I am afraid using real IPs will
open up a great big security hole.

Any help or pointers will be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

HL

2. CFP: 5th IMACS-SAS '95 - International Symposium on Systems Analysis and Simulation

3. Sending/Receive email via Exchange Server

4. Local DB like Watcom SQL for PB/5 on Solaris ?

5. can't mail to virtual domain's off-site mail server

6. FPS cap?

7. Making 8.x send localmail to hub, other off-site

8. Does PsiWin 2.01 work with 3c?

9. Making 8.x send local mail to hub, other off-site (Repost)

10. Send mail via external mail server?

11. send emails via IMAP from external

12. Notification when e-mail sent off site?

13. Possible to have an E-mail server use a proxy Internet connection via a LAN??