Copying outgoing mail to another user based on original sender / or receipient

Copying outgoing mail to another user based on original sender / or receipient

Post by Greg Bonebrak » Sat, 04 May 2002 05:06:18

Hello all...  A client is looking to snoop on their users, wants to be able
to receive a copy of all outbound messages either sent from a specific
internal user or going to a specific external recipient.  Currently running
Sendmail 8.9.3.  Any ideas how to do this without just a network monitoring
tool to grab all email traffic and scan it?

I realize the legalities of this are questionable, but that's the clients
problem, hopefully they don't*off too many employees in the process.
:-)

Thanks in advance-

Greg

Post by Christian Schult » Sat, 04 May 2002 07:56:10

> Hello all...  A client is looking to snoop on their users, wants to be able
> to receive a copy of all outbound messages either sent from a specific
> internal user or going to a specific external recipient.  Currently running
> Sendmail 8.9.3.  Any ideas how to do this without just a network monitoring
> tool to grab all email traffic and scan it?

> I realize the legalities of this are questionable, but that's the clients
> problem, hopefully they don't*off too many employees in the process.
> :-)

> Thanks in advance-

> Greg

Set option MeToo in your sendmail.cf file to the email address which
should get all send emails!

http://www.veryComputer.com/~ca/email/doc8.8/op-sh-5.html
See the Option MeToo!

Post by Leif Nelan » Sat, 04 May 2002 09:19:36

> > Hello all...  A client is looking to snoop on their users, wants to be
able
> > to receive a copy of all outbound messages either sent from a specific
> > internal user or going to a specific external recipient.  Currently
running
> > Sendmail 8.9.3.  Any ideas how to do this without just a network
monitoring
> > tool to grab all email traffic and scan it? >

> Set option MeToo in your sendmail.cf file to the email address which
> should get all send emails!

> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doc8.8/op-sh-5.html
> See the Option MeToo!

No. It is not that easy.
Option MeToo is for if you have an alias list:
doe: john,jane

If MeToo is set. john and jane gets the message if john sends to doe,
If MeToo is not set, only jane gets the message if john sends to doe.

Leif

Copying outgoing mail to another user based on original sender / or receipient

Post by Mike Mille » Sat, 04 May 2002 21:21:16

Quote:> Hello all...  A client is looking to snoop on their users, wants to be able
> to receive a copy of all outbound messages either sent from a specific
> internal user or going to a specific external recipient.  Currently running
> Sendmail 8.9.3.  Any ideas how to do this without just a network monitoring
> tool to grab all email traffic and scan it?

> I realize the legalities of this are questionable, but that's the clients
> problem, hopefully they don't*off too many employees in the process.
> :-)

> Thanks in advance-

> Greg

You can set up a milter (see sendmail docs, will need to upgrade sendmail
also) that checks the header info and then adds a recipient to the
message. MIMEdefang has most of what you
need(http://www.veryComputer.com/).
--
Mike Miller
If all else fails - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

1. How to forward a copy of all outgoing mail on a user to another user?

I'm looking for a way to make it so a copy of all mail that a user sends out
goes to another user and is also sent out.

I already know I can do the trick in aliases so that anything incoming to
that user goes to that user and also gets copied to another by adding the
line:

username:     username, archive

to the aliases file. Where username is the person we are capturing from and
archive is the account we are sending copies to.

We need to do this mainly so we can monitor what our users send out.  So we
can be sure they aren't sending out any internal corporate data to a
competitor.

Is there a way to do this and if so how would I go about it?

Dale Leonard
Network Administrator
TECOM, Inc.

2. DSN bug in readqf?

3. Restricting outgoing mail based on sender address?

4. Printers

5. conditional copies of outgoing mails depending on sender

6. Use of AppDomains

7. mailing a copy copy of incoming/outgoing mail to somebody

8. Q: How to have error replies go to user other than original sender?

9. When replying, setting Reply-To based on the mail address the original mail was sent to

10. ANSWER: How can I automatically copy messages based on sender address?

11. How can I automatically blind copy messages based on sender addresses?

12. copying outgoing mail to another user