local mail delivery through virus/spam filter service

local mail delivery through virus/spam filter service

Post by Stroveng » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:50:00

Hi,

        Try MIMEDefang with SPAMASSASSIM.
        It uses the milter API to make the job.
                www.roaringpenguin.com

Post by Stroveng » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:52:36

Hi,

        Try MIMEDefang with SPAMASSASSIM.
        It uses the milter API to make the job.
                www.roaringpenguin.com

> Hello,
>     Does someone have a good example on how to send local mail through a
> virus/spam filtering service (i.e. postini) that resides on the Internet.
> There is an outgoing sendmail server 'smtp.domain' that we need to relay

> (MX record) and finally to a different server, 'pop.domain' where mail is
> retrieved:

> service

> userB<---MUA<--pop.domain.com

> Right now I am using the LUSER_RELAY domain to force local mail out to the
> first MX record. It seems to work but there is probably a smarter way to do
> this. Maybe this is a bad idea altogether . . .

> Thanks!
> Ken Keelan

> sendmail.mc:
> VERSIONID(`$Id: openbsd2.9.mc,v 8.10 2002/05/27 07:26:02 Exp $')
> OSTYPE(openbsd)dnl

> define(`confMESSAGE_TIMEOUT', `5d/72h')
> define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `domain.com')
> define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `500000')
> define(`LUSER_RELAY', `relay:domain.mail1.psmtp.COM')

> MASQUERADE_AS(domain.com)

> FEATURE(`nouucp',`reject')
> FEATURE(`always_add_domain')
> FEATURE(`relay_mail_from')
> FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')

> MAILER(local)
> MAILER(smtp)

local mail delivery through virus/spam filter service

Post by Peter Peter » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:21:41

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 05:36:42 GMT, "Keelan Kenneth"

>    Does someone have a good example on how to send local mail through a
>virus/spam filtering service (i.e. postini) that resides on the Internet.
>There is an outgoing sendmail server 'smtp.domain' that we need to relay

>(MX record) and finally to a different server, 'pop.domain' where mail is
>retrieved:

Wouldn't it be a better choice to install those services on your own
server so you can tune it to your needs. We use MailScanner with
SpamAssassin and f-prot.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,

local mail delivery through virus/spam filter service

Post by Jason T. Simo » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 01:37:31

says...

Yo spammer,

NOT!

Vexira mailarmor with milter version beats the hell out of
mimedefang and can actually scan for viruses instead of just
blocking everything, dude.

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Post by David F. Skol » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:52:36

> Vexira mailarmor with milter version beats the hell out of
> mimedefang and can actually scan for viruses instead of just
> blocking everything, dude.

Well!  I cannot resist a challenge!

Do you have statistics showing that it "beats the hell" out of MIMEDefang?
I know of a MIMEDefang installation which scans 1.5 million e-mails a day.
Not too shabby.

And by the way, MIMEDefang interfaces with 13 free and commercial
virus scanners, if you'd rather go the (unsafe) route of scanning
against a signature database.  It's up to you.

And MIMEDefang is useful for many other things, too.  Can Mailarmor
remove large attachments, put them on a Web server, and replace
them with a URL?  Can it bounce Korean messages automatically?
Redirect spam to a holding area for administrative approval?
Add boilerplate text and/or disclaimers?  Add/remove recipients?
Headers?  Take decisions based on relay IP?  Strip HTML parts out
of multipart/alternative text/plain and text/html messages?
Convert MS-Word attachments to HTML automatically?  Sanitize HTML
to remove dangerous tags?

You see, MIMEDefang can do all of that because it's Free Software,
and its user community has made it do all of those things.

You get the source.  It costs nothing.  And what you do with it is
limited only by your imagination, and not by software license fees.

Thank you.

--
David.

1. how to route local mail->virus scanner->local mail setup

Hi

I know this has been asked before.  But there didn't seem to be an
answer then.

I have a virus scanner set up on a seperate machine.  How do I force all
local mail to go through the virus scanner server first before it gets
rerouted back to my local host?

I tried setting the Mailhub and smart relay options  on client.machine.
On the scanner machine its mailer table has:
        .domain             esmtp:[client.machine]

So when I send mail from client.machine to a user also on
client.machine, outgoing mail gets routed to the scanner machine.  But
it gets stuck there cuz the scanner machine things doesn't want to
re-route it to the client.machine.

thanks
nancy.

2. OpenDoc

3. Filter spam/virus from POP3 servers?

4. 13 dos under w95

5. Integrating virus-scanning spam-filtering with fetchmail?

6. A3000 Cyan Pixels

7. Virus thru mail: Hoax or real ?

8. OS/2's fdisk BUGGY??

9. Virus and Spam filter

10. Integrating virus-scanning spam-filtering with fetchmail?

11. Filtering out spam and viruses

12. SPAM Filtering Services - Business, ISPs and Internet Users

13. Announcement: a commercial spam filtering service