Setup Advice

Post by Eric » Wed, 09 May 2001 09:00:39

I'm setting up a Sendmail server for simple email functionality.  All I need
it to do is to send and receive my personaly email, maybe ten accounts
total.  I'm really confused about all the different options to relay my
messages.  Reading the sendmail readme file, I was confused about the
different classes, like class w.  What are those refering to?  the config in
the cf file?  And advice for a basic setup would be cool.  Thanks
    -Eric

Setup Advice

Post by Claus A?man » Wed, 09 May 2001 11:04:58

> I'm setting up a Sendmail server for simple email functionality.  All I need
> it to do is to send and receive my personaly email, maybe ten accounts
> total.  I'm really confused about all the different options to relay my
> messages.  Reading the sendmail readme file, I was confused about the
> different classes, like class w.  What are those refering to?  the config in

See cf/README:
If your host is known by several different names, you need to augment
class {w}.  This is a list of names by which your host is known, and

Quote:> the cf file?  And advice for a basic setup would be cool.  Thanks

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/setup1.html

You don't need all those options and features, the basic setting
is fine for most configurations.

--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

Setup Advice

Post by Suresh Ramasubramani » Wed, 09 May 2001 11:13:04

Eric proclaimed on comp.mail.sendmail that:

Quote:> I'm setting up a Sendmail server for simple email functionality.  All I need

Basic setup - documented in http://www.sendmail.org/faq/

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + Wallopus Malletus Indigenensis

1. Mail system setup advice

I am in the process of redesigning our mail setup and would
like some advice. I am moving to 8.6.5 so I figure this is
the time to do it.

Our setup;
We have one file server that supports all our sun workstations.
/var/spool/mail is mounted from the file server by all workstations.
We also have one time share machine that the remaining users use
and where they receive mail.

I would like all out going mail to look like it came from
aoc.nrao.edu not machine.aoc.nrao.edu. I don't think this will
be a problem. I would also like all the workstations to
just relay the mail to the file server which will act as
the mail host/relay. I haven't got this working yet.
Since the time share and file server are the second
mx for each other I would like them to be able to accept
mail for each other in the event one is down and something
gets sent to the wrong machine.

My Plan;
File server and time share send mail with from address
of aoc.nrao.edu. The file server is aoc.nrao.edu and the second
mx is the time share. Have all the workstations use
the clientproto.cf and send everything to the file server.

Comments please?
--

NRAO                                    505.835.7294

2. Trend Resellers in the UK

3. audio configuration setup advice

4. Apple //c forsale

5. Looking for advice on IMAP setup

6. server error: cannot create directory

7. Setup Question: I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for Exchange

8. MSMAIL External Setup Help (Quick Setup)

9. Need technical advice

10. Need advice on CGI mail script

11. Legal advice re spammers pls.

12. Advice wanted on blocking & avoiding spam