unsolicited microsoft e-mail account

Post by Gary Wininge » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Dear sirs.   I have no idea why my mail changed to microsoft!!! I did not

Yours Gary W. Wininger

unsolicited microsoft e-mail account

Post by Michael Santove » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What makes you think that you now have a Microsoft mail account?

If you mean microsoft.public.internet.mail, this is a Free newsgroup for
help with the IE3 Internet Mail Program.  This is not a mail service or
mailing list.  To Unsubscribe from a newsgroup is done in your news reader
program.  Only your news reader program knows that you are subscribed to a
newsgroup.

Or did you just get a Welcome message?  If you get the Welcome message, that
means that something happened to delete the Internet Mail Inbox folder
(filename INBOX.MBX).

The mail program puts the message in the Inbox when it creates the file.
The message does not come via the Internet.  It is welcoming you to the mail
Program and is not related to any ISP that you use for your mail account.

One reported cause of this problem is clicking the Cancel button when you
get Win95 logon window.

You might also check the Recycle Bin to see if the file has been
accidentally erased.

Also, do a Start, Find, Files or Folders, *.MBX to see where Internet Mail
is storing these files.  If you find them in two different directories, you
may be able to recover them.

The mail "folders" are pairs of files named *.MBX and *.IDX.  Copy the old
ones to the new directory.  If there are new files with messages that you
want to keep, rename the pair of files in either the old or new directory
(your choice) before copying to avoid duplicate names.  For example, rename
INBOX.MBX to INBOX2.MBX and rename INBOX.IDX to INBOX2.IDX.

When you open mail, you should see all the mail folders.