/etc/mail/relay-domains question

Post by Cindy Reed-Ballreic » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm upgrading from 8.8.8 to 8.9.0 and I've been looking for the
answer to the following questions...

What is the format for /etc/mail/relay-domains?
Is this only for domains or can individual machines be listed?
Can I list IP addresses or ranges of IP addresses?

Or should I be using /etc/mail/access for this?

I'd like to allow relaying for a handful of machines and deny all
others.

(If this is in a FAQ somewhere, please point me to it.)

Thanks

Cindy Ballreich

Post by Claus Assma » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:Cindy Reed-Ballreich writes:
>What is the format for /etc/mail/relay-domains?
>Is this only for domains or can individual machines be listed?

Yes :-)
You can list both.
E.g.,
shark.ywd.tld
or just
ywd.tld

Quote:>Can I list IP addresses or ranges of IP addresses?

Again yes, e.g.,
10.9
10.1.2.3

Quote:>Or should I be using /etc/mail/access for this?

That's up to you. I use /etc/mail/relay-domains for "basic"
entries (e.g., our domain and IP net).
access is used for other occasions, e.g., RBL override,
temporary changes.

Quote:>I'd like to allow relaying for a handful of machines and deny all
>others.

Add them to relay-domains.
If the list changes often, use access instead
(since it is a map).

See cf/README for further explanations.

Regards,

Claus Assmann
--
[Please don't send me copies of usenet postings. Thanks!]

1. Difference and use of /etc/mail/mailertable, /etc/mail/access and /etc/mail/relay-domains

Dear All,

I am wrestling with the differnt possible tables and see that I am
losing the match.

Who can point me to a good explanation of the three files :

/etc/mail/mailertable

/etc/mail/access

/etc/mail/relay-domains

Where and when can (shall)  I use them.

Regards

Roland Vlerick
Siemens Business Services

2. emTeX DVISCR and super VGA

3. What is the difference between /etc/mail/access and /etc/mail/relay-domains?

4. How do you remove an item from the "Destination Web Server or File Location" list.

5. /etc/mail/relay-domains in sendmail 8.12.8

6. Changing from CatOS to IOS on 6509 (SUP)?

7. /etc/mail/relay-domains... WATCHIT!

8. syntax of /etc/mail/relay-domains ?

9. /etc/mail/relay-domains

10. File /etc/mail/relay-domains

11. /etc/mail/relay-domains how does it really work?