nmh and MIME support in mail headers

Post by Peter Dembinsk » Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:08:21

I use nmh 1.0.4+dev-20010317 from Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1.

Although nmh seems to support MIME messages well, I cannot make it
encode mail headers, such as Subject or From, in ISO-8859-2 charset.
Instead, I get X characters.

I have MM_CHARSET environment variable set to "iso-8859-2" and system
locale (LANG, LANGUAGE, LINGUAS, LC_ALL) information set to "pl_PL".

There follows sample mail generated with nmh's comp command:

#v+

Delivery-Date: Fri Sep 26 14:05:10 2003

Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:05:10 +0200

Subject: Testing nmh MIME handling [zaXXXX gXXlX jaXX] [ZAXXXX GXXLX JAXX]

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:05:02 +0200

Testing nmh MIME handling.

[za=BF=F3=B3=E6 g=EA=B6l=B1 ja=BC=F1] =

[ZA=AF=D3=A3=C6 G=CA=A6L=A1 JA=AC=D1]

#v-

1. duplicate header fields (was: MIME support (composing MIME messages))

[ This is cc-ed to comp.mail.mime and comp.mail.headers - to cut to the
  chase and ignore the followup part of this thread, the question is:
  What is the interpretation of duplicate, but different headers ?
  in this instance, two different Content-Type: field values.  ]

Also, some folks may have been confused by some references I made to a
malformed MIME message I sent out. It seems to have gone out on the
mailing list, but it looks like it was dropped from News distribution.

I was sure I recalled some mention in rfc1521 about how to interpret
multiple occurrences of the same header. But searching thru the document,
I can't find any such note. Just my overactive imagination ?
( I also failed to find a note on this in 822, but I only skipped thru
them both quicky, and tried searching for "duplicate" and a half dozen
other likely words. )

Is there a rule to resolve the interpretation of:

since it is possible to generate duplicate fields with Pine, and
I expect with other mail software ( especially automatic gateways,
remailers, etc. ). Or is this defined as illegal ? Or is it just
undefined ?

Except for the cases where it manufactured the malformed
occurence and ignore later ones.

I was also seem to have acquired the folk belief that *all* To:'s
are significant, but I expect that I'm just overgeneralizing some
past experience with sendmail.  :-)

- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics

2. How to block KaZaA

3. nmh mime support is rubbish

4. TE/2 and Zmodem problems

5. MIME support -- how to detect a MIME message

6. MSN V2 (UK) ands Internet Mail

7. Using Outlook to send mail to folks w/out MIME support

8. Does MH have support for sending MIME mail?

9. cc: mail SMTP gateway / MIME support?

10. MS MAIL: Is MIME supported

11. Background mail server for Windows that support S/MIME